Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum
How Effective Is A .22? - Printable Version

+- Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum (http://forum.hoodswoods.net)
+-- Forum: Hoodlum Skills Forums (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Knives and Assorted Weapons (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: How Effective Is A .22? (/showthread.php?tid=11266)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

How Effective Is A .22? - Survivor Kid 909 - 02-03-2011

The only gun I currently own is a Ruger 10/22, and I was thinking today about how effective it would be in a situation where I would be in the woods indeffinately. Or maybe in a SHTF senario. The things I were wondering about were

-How big of an animal (2 or 4 legged) can I take down with it? I talked to my shop teacher the other day and he told me about taking down some dogs going after his sheep with a .22 He said it was one shot and they were down. Was that just luck?

-Would it hold up to the environment?

-Could it be used to protect myself from those wishing to do me harm, (baddies, coyotes, etc)?

Thanks!

Watcher

How Effective Is A .22? - Deerstalker - 02-03-2011

[quote name='Watcher of the Woods' date='04 February 2011 - 09:23 AM' timestamp='1296775418' post='508864']

-Would it hold up to the environment?- [size="3"]Yes[/size]

-Could it be used to protect myself from those wishing to do me harm, (baddies, coyotes, etc)? [size="3"]Yes[/size]

[/quote]

22LR is for rabbits, foxes & the like, preferably under 100m IMO

That said however, it's all about bullet placement, whether by luck or skill, not much survives a 22 bullet in the brain

A well placed 22 will often be more effective than a poorly placed 458

A 22LR is not a moose gun, but that's not to say that moose haven't been killed with a well placed 22 projectile

With bigger calibres, you have more options, you can reach out further & penetrate more tissue

So if you have a choice, use enough gun, it's safer, more legal & more humane

If you don't have a choice, the game isn't dangerous, you can get close & you can precisely place the shot a 22 will often do the job

How Effective Is A .22? - quietmike - 02-03-2011

A good read on the subject:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504301&fpart=1

How Effective Is A .22? - zenguinfighter - 02-04-2011

the .22LR is capable of just about any task if you do your part.

The issue isn't the gun, it's the shooter.

There is NO room for error with the .22LR. There is nothing 'extra'

You absolutely MUST place the bullet precisely.

The cool thing about the .22LR is that it is inexpensive, quiet, and no recoil,

so it is easy to get good with it.

Shooting a box a day is a good place to start.

How Effective Is A .22? - Stitch - 02-04-2011

[quote name='zengunfighter' date='03 February 2011 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1296779149' post='508877']

the .22LR is capable of just about any task if you do your part.

The issue isn't the gun, it's the shooter.

There is NO room for error with the .22LR. There is nothing 'extra'

You absolutely MUST place the bullet precisely.

The cool thing about the .22LR is that it is inexpensive, quiet, and no recoil,

so it is easy to get good with it.

Shooting a box a day is a good place to start.

[/quote]

+1 on Zen's post.

How Effective Is A .22? - Survivor Kid 909 - 02-04-2011

I need to find some place to go, closest range is 15 miles away and I don't wanna do that drive daily...

That link about lethality, wow... That really gave me a new appreciation for my gun.

I will be completely honest that I am a noob, and I don't know the least bit about where to start with practicing with my .22...

How Effective Is A .22? - WetFootWilley - 02-04-2011

Have to say I agree with everyone else here. Probably more deer were shot with .22s up here in the maritimes than any other calibre 50 years ago. Several reasons, no-one could afford larger cal. and everyone had .22s. It is all about placing the slug exactly right. Because you can shoot so much though, unbelievable accuracy can develop. My great uncle Herman Smith could shoot a coy-dog on the run through the eye from around 30 - 50 yards. I can't do that, but I can and do make some pretty good running shots with the same rifle. As to holding up to the enviroment, well that depends on the gun, and the care given it. Many .22s are cheaply made. But, a Marlin or other similar should hold up.

WFW

[quote name='Watcher of the Woods' date='03 February 2011 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1296780038' post='508882']

I need to find some place to go, closest range is 15 miles away and I don't wanna do that drive daily...

That link about lethality, wow... That really gave me a new appreciation for my gun.

I will be completely honest that I am a noob, and I don't know the least bit about where to start with practicing with my .22...

[/quote]

see if you can get some 'Colibres' made by Aguila. They use a light, 20gr bullet, no gunpowder. The primer powers the bullet. Makes about as much noise as a pellet gun. You'll have to cycle the action by hand for each shot, but you can shoot in your back yard or basement. A cardboard box 18" deep filled with sheets of cardboard, or stacked and tied newspaper will work as a backstop.

You should also see if there are any Appleseed shoots in your area. They teach old skool military 'postion' rifle shooting during 2 day, weekend events. IIRC folks under 18 are free.

It's not a gunfighting class, but is real good at teaching the fundamentals of marksmanship.

BTW....

If I had to go out in the woods and was only allowed one gun, and only the ammo I could carry, I'd pick a .22...

How Effective Is A .22? - Guest - 02-04-2011

I'm not a WTSHTF/Red Dawn/Zombie Invasion type, but my "one gun" would always be a 22. I could carry 500 rounds in the pocket of my pants. Nothing else is even close.

Spend some time shooting that 10/22. Get instruction. Learn it well. Know how much Kentucky windage you need at ranges. Learn to stalk and hunt.

I took two deer last year. One at 20 and one at 50 yards. Both (and more) could have easily been taken with a 22.

Shot placement IS everything with a 22. On medium game, headshots or crossthorax (you must drop both lungs which means missing the shoulder) shots are a must. Gut shots are always bad juju, but especially with a 22. Actually the rules don't change much for small game either.

How Effective Is A .22? - Deerstalker - 02-04-2011

[quote name='zengunfighter' date='04 February 2011 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1296782540' post='508890']

BTW....

If I had to go out in the woods and was only allowed one gun, and only the ammo I could carry, I'd pick a .22...

[/quote]

Me too, most of the places I go there is far more small game than big game anyway & then there's that issue re weight & No. of rounds

Even when spotlighting from a vehicle where weight isn't an issue - anything close enough I use the rimfire, why waste a CF round when they're close

How Effective Is A .22? - IzzyJG99 - 02-04-2011

When it comes to .22 it's obviously, as others have said, meant for small game and such. But it's still a gun and if you get shot by a .22 it's still gonna hurt and can still kill you or someone. When I was a little boy a local lady killed herself with a .22 to the temple. So I don't look down the any of the three .22 calibers out there anymore.

How Effective Is A .22? - muleskinner - 02-04-2011

It isn't a matter of if the .22 will do. It all depends on wether or not you can do.

Muleskiner,

How Effective Is A .22? - Grizzly Dave - 02-04-2011

Bullet placement is the key.

Gator hunters in the Louisisnna Bayou use .22 rifles to kill gators almost exclusivey,the hide is valuable more so with no holes.

They have to hit the brain about the szie of a fifty cent piece just behind the ears but some of those reptiles are near a thousand pounds.

I too would take a .22 rifle for a long walk in the mountains . A couple of bricks, one thousand rounds weighs about the same as 2 boxes of 45-70.

Griz

How Effective Is A .22? - thatmckenzie - 02-04-2011

[quote name='quietmike' date='03 February 2011 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1296777528' post='508868']

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504301&fpart=1

[/quote]

I do believe that DesertFrog there is Pascal, our own UrbanFrog. That post (or one similar) is here on this board.

I haven't met that cat, but he's good peeps.