Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum
Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - Printable Version

+- Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum (http://forum.hoodswoods.net)
+-- Forum: Hoodlum Skills Forums (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Urban Survival Skills (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. (/showthread.php?tid=49506)

Pages: 1 2

Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - Kid Couteau - 09-06-2017

Hi Family

Apologies this is going to sound like a hey mom look at me post. But I figure we need to update each other.  Big Grin

I have been pulled into the large world of HAM radio. Got my General license. Recently acquired 2 Yaesu radios. Been learning to make antennas.

Got drafted in to the local ARES team and been building portable power banks with solar hookups.

So yeah been a busy summer
Kid

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - dravine - 09-06-2017

I'm working on my license, have a Baofeng handy but am mostly interested in SDRs.

What's your call sign? Maybe I'll get off my arse and try to catch you on a net some night.

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - Kid Couteau - 09-06-2017

KC1HLA
If you want to practice for your test
hamexam.org
https://hamstudy.org [this one I like]

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - dravine - 09-06-2017

I pass the practice exam every time I take it! I just keep missing the test date lol.

If I calendar'd half as good as I Lectronic I'd have one already!

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - Theophilus - 09-06-2017

Congrats, Kid.  Get on it Dravine!
Check out "Ham Radio for Dummies" by Ward Silver to get a taste of what's out there for hams to do and play with.  It's dated but still good.
Theophilus W7THD

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - TRYKER - 09-06-2017

CONGRATS ON THE HAM !!!

I Got kenwoods, hf plus 6meter and a all band 2 meter, but since i got the puter they been put away since '03.

N1XXH

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - Dashing - 10-16-2017

(09-06-2017, 05:58 PM)Kid Couteau Wrote: Hi Family

Apologies this is going to sound like a hey mom look at me post. But I figure we need to update each other.  Big Grin

I have been pulled into the large world of HAM radio. Got my General license. Recently acquired 2 Yaesu radios. Been learning to make antennas.

Got drafted in to the local ARES team and been building portable power banks with solar hookups.

So yeah been a busy summer
Kid

Ham has always been on the list of things I've been interested in learning.  Getting your license if a great accomplishment.  

What type of antennas have you been making?  I'd love to see if you can post some up.

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - WetFootWilley - 10-16-2017

Me too - now that I am no longer a student I may try this winter to get my ham license as well, fairly active radio club here in Yarmouth, they tell me that being out on a point in the ocean like this os pretty good for reception too.

WFW

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - Kid Couteau - 10-16-2017

https://hamstudy.org

Worked for me. I do have an electronics background but this helped.

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - alukban - 10-17-2017

This is on my list of things to get done also.

Thanks for the kick in the @$$ Smile

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - Plainsman - 10-22-2017

Congrats! KE0FEX out!

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - muleskinner - 11-22-2017

In another life time back in 1975, I was at Fort Devens Mass learning code. I would come close but could never pass the minimum of ten words per minute. One day the instructor took me aside and told me to get drunk the night before my test. The next morning I did twelve words per minute.

Oh, a misspent youth.

Muleskinner,

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - Grizzly Dave - 11-23-2017

(11-22-2017, 04:43 AM)muleskinner Wrote: In another life time back in 1975, I was at Fort Devens Mass learning code. I would come close but could never pass the minimum of ten words per minute. One day the instructor took me aside and told me to get drunk the night before my test. The next morning I did twelve words per minute.

Oh, a misspent youth.

Muleskinner,

And I thought you had been raised a nice Christian boy Sleepy 

Griz

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - Bill Hay - 11-23-2017

(11-23-2017, 02:27 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote:
(11-22-2017, 04:43 AM)muleskinner Wrote: In another life time back in 1975, I was at Fort Devens Mass learning code. I would come close but could never pass the minimum of ten words per minute. One day the instructor took me aside and told me to get drunk the night before my test. The next morning I did twelve words per minute.

Oh, a misspent youth.

Muleskinner,

And I thought you had been raised a nice Christian boy Sleepy 

Griz

What good is having forgiveness if you don't backslide on occasion and deserve it?  No sense wasting it...  At least, that is what crazy Unkle Bill sez...

RE: Stuff I have learned since we went bye bye. - Voyageur7 - 11-23-2017

About 12 years ago I decided to get my ham license.  Picked up the book for the tech license , read it and took the test.  At the same time I was asked if I wanted to take the test for the general license.   I missed it by a cuople of questions.  I decided to buy the testing book for the general license and the neat month took the test again and passed it.  I decided I was on a roll and bought the book on the extra exam and the next month I took the extra exam and passed it.  The VE asked if I would like to change my call sign because I now had my extra license but I said no.   I told him did not even own a radio and had not even used my call sign on air yet so why change.  The only radio I even own now is a 2 meter mobile unit sitting unused in my garage.   Maybe someday I will get an antenna and hook it up.  KD8FQF