Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum
Need camera - Printable Version

+- Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum (http://forum.hoodswoods.net)
+-- Forum: Hoodlum Skills Forums (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Questions and Answers (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Need camera (/showthread.php?tid=49618)

Need camera - Tn Ridge Rover - 11-16-2017

Need camera, waterproof or water resistant and digital. Black Friday, etc coming up, so some deals be out there.

My camera died a slow death in a muddy river on a recent trip. All I have now is an old heavy Nikomat 35mm. But it has given me some beautiful, memorable shots!

RE: Need camera - Jimbo - 12-29-2017

Everyone wants a digital camera today, but I can remember when a quality 35 mm was the cats meow!

The first 35 mm I was supplied when employed at the university system was an old Topcon, but I don't remember the model.  The old Topcon was still a decent camera, but it had a little age and had been passed around a number of people before arriving in my hands, but if I did my part, the old Topcon produced quality slides and photos both. 

My next 35 mm was a Cannon ftb, and I loved that camera, but alas I only had it for a few short months.

Then I purchased my first 35 mm, a Fujinon ST-701, with a black body, and I still have it, but like everyone else, I haven shot a roll of film in well more than a decade. 

My last 35 mm was a Minolta x-700, and although I liked the Fujinon ST-701, the Minolta more closely resembled the Cannon ftb, in function and capability, making it a very close replacement for the Cannon ftb, which for some reason or another always escaped my ownership.  I still have the Minolta x-700 also, but as camera's go today they are all passe!

When the youngest daughter was in college, she took a photography course, and part of the course assignment were to shoot photos using black and white film of about 30 different type setting, and that assignment was not yesterday, but black & white film was most difficult to locate.  Then a follow up assignment was to shoot about the same number of different type setting using color.  Knowing where an old railroad depot which had been moved and restored for use in a seasonal business, a nice long bridge built in a long curve over a body of water which I could drive down close to the water edge for a photo of the entire bridge, I drove her several hundred miles a couple of different weekends to complete her assignments.  She used my Minolta camera, but shot her own photographic images.  It took several passes, but after a number of shoots, she finally managed to capture a large hawk frozen in flight which the instructor thought was marvelous.  Some of her other images got good reviews as well, like the old restored train depot and the curved bridge, which few if any in her class had a clue to where they were.  Sandy beaches are not a common sight in this area either, but I took her where she could capture a nice long sandy beach on film too.  I don't remember every place I took her to now, but the instructor was very impressed with the variety & diversity of her subjects as well as her skill with the camera.  Needless to say she aced the photography course with relatively ease, thanks to dads knowledge of all the right places to capture those unique images on her list of things required to photograph.

Digital is convenient, but film has heart & soul!  I truly miss using the film cameras.

RE: Need camera - Tn Ridge Rover - 12-29-2017

I've found two options, one is $140 and the other is $400.

https://www.cameralabs.com/fujifilm-finepix-xp120-review/

https://www.cameralabs.com/olympus-tough-tg5-review/

RE: Need camera - Adapt-Overcome-Conquer - 12-29-2017

(12-29-2017, 11:01 AM)Tn Ridge Rover Wrote: I've found two options, one is $140 and the other is $400.

ooh great minds think alike! The OLYMPUS tough tg5, Ronnie, is what you need. Waterproof, dust proof lens...HEAVY DUTY and great picture quality--even at night! That's a 10+ year camera even held under your wet, muddy, harsh conditions.

While I agree with Jimbo about the picture quality in old fashioned cameras ie: 35 mm lens ect....film is getting harder and harder to find as well as they are just not tough, small or light enough for survival trips!

I've been drooling over a very similar Olympus (but the last generation one the tg 4 I think) anyways its the same one that our very own Rueben Bolieu uses when he takes his crisp-clear--amazingly detailed pictures on his crazy trips--such as the Mount Roramira and Angel Falls trip I think we all loved! I have lost 2 (150$) Nikon digital cameras to a piece of dirt jamming the lens during dirt time adventures, never to be working properly again...I would have had a good one by now if I had waited and spent the 400$ on the olympus tg4 with the dirt proof lens....but its on the wish list. Big Grin

AOC

RE: Need camera - Grizzly Dave - 12-30-2017

I have an Olympus and they are great. I took mine to Africa as well as my Canon digital SLR
The Olympus was on my cartridge belt so when away from my pack it was still photo-op time.
The water-proof feature is a life saver if it falls in the water while canoeing.

Griz

RE: Need camera - Tn Ridge Rover - 01-03-2018

(12-29-2017, 05:13 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 11:01 AM)Tn Ridge Rover Wrote: I've found two options, one is $140 and the other is $400.

ooh great minds think alike! The OLYMPUS tough tg5, Ronnie, is what you need. Waterproof, dust proof lens...HEAVY DUTY and great picture quality--even at night! That's a 10+ year camera even held under your wet, muddy, harsh conditions.

While I agree with Jimbo about the picture quality in old fashioned cameras ie: 35 mm lens ect....film is getting harder and harder to find as well as they are just not tough, small or light enough for survival trips!

I've been drooling over a very similar Olympus (but the last generation one the tg 4 I think) anyways its the same one that our very own Rueben Bolieu uses when he takes his crisp-clear--amazingly detailed pictures on his crazy trips--such as the Mount Roramira and Angel Falls trip I think we all loved! I have lost 2 (150$) Nikon digital cameras to a piece of dirt jamming the lens during dirt time adventures, never to be working properly again...I would have had a good one by now if I had waited and spent the 400$ on the olympus tg4 with the dirt proof lens....but its on the wish list. Big Grin

AOC

Good points. Since I am in no hurry, That Olympus sounds like the one to get for several reasons.

RE: Need camera - mjh - 01-04-2018

Maybe a little late to the show here but I have an Olympus Tough TG4. It was time for a new camera and I searched for a lot of the same features you are looking for, durable and somewhat waterproof, mine came with a few "kit" items and I bought a couple of extra batteries. Under $300 at the time. I watched a waited on a couple of websites for the lowest price I thought is was going to go before purchasing. I'm happy. Does what it is supposed to do. Now If I can just hold my hands steady to take the shot. Had 35mm set up years ago and while yea it took nice photos, I'm not really that good or going to spend the time to improve a lot, a point and shoot with a few nice features is good enough for me. Take a lot more photos now that an decent camera is easy to carry. Also still better than my Iphone 7 camera a least to my eye.

RE: Need camera - Tn Ridge Rover - 01-05-2018

(01-04-2018, 10:10 PM)mjh Wrote: Maybe a little late to the show here but I have an Olympus Tough TG4.   It was time for a new camera and I searched for a lot of the same features you are looking for, durable and somewhat waterproof,  mine came with a few "kit" items and I bought a couple of extra batteries.  Under $300 at the time.  I watched a waited on a couple of websites for the lowest price I thought is was going to go before purchasing.   I'm happy.  Does what it is supposed to do.  Now If I can just hold my hands steady to take the shot.  Had 35mm set up years ago and while yea it took nice photos, I'm not really that good or going to spend the time to improve a lot, a point and shoot with a few nice features is good enough for me.   Take a lot more photos now that an decent camera is easy to carry.  Also still better than my Iphone 7 camera a least to my eye.

Better late than never! That TG4 is sounding better all the time. Last trip out before my little digital died, I took one nice pic suitable for framing. I'm not sure if the quality is there for framing. 

How is it for video? Might go to YouTube some day?

RE: Need camera - mjh - 01-06-2018

I have to say I have not really investigated the video capabilities of the TG 4.  It can do video, but I can't help you in that area.  Others may chime in on this area.

RE: Need camera - Grizzly Dave - 01-06-2018

The votes are in
And Olympus wins
Go...Olympus Big Grin

RE: Need camera - Tn Ridge Rover - 01-11-2018

(01-06-2018, 01:53 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: The votes are in
And Olympus wins
Go...Olympus Big Grin

I think you are right. I've took too many pics suitable for framing but would not enlarge well.