Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum
A Handy light. - Printable Version

+- Hoods Woods New Hoodlums Forum (http://forum.hoodswoods.net)
+-- Forum: Hoodlum Skills Forums (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Backpacking and Gear Testing (http://forum.hoodswoods.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: A Handy light. (/showthread.php?tid=49887)

Pages: 1 2

A Handy light. - Limey Pete - 08-13-2018

Living here in the Far East, I sometimes have to lower my standards and stay in one star hotels. 
Holiday Inns and Hiltons are not always available. And this being so, I must suffer in accommodation without Jacuzzis and other amenities that a gentleman deserved and expects.
One of the amenities, which is often lacking is a good reading light.
Often the bedside light is dim, or lacking, so that I am unable to read my copy of Hippolytus by Euripides.
However, lately I have noticed the hawkers around the bars offering a small rechargeable LED lamp.
I was reluctant to buy because this item had no warranty, and dealing with these “sorts” of vendors, one is at risk of being swindled, which these “sorts” delight in achieving in regard to shy and sensitive former railroad tramps.
However my companion, Jock, told me he had a similar lamp and that the lamp worked well, and was a good buy.
I bought one.
Jock was correct. This lamp has the illumination of a car headlight! And never need batteries.
The lamp is small, folds well, and I judge would be a good asset at an evening camp, where, hanging in a tree, this lamp would illuminate the campsite well.

RE: A Handy light. - Deerstalker - 08-14-2018

(08-13-2018, 08:27 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: The lamp is small, folds well, and I judge would be a good asset at an evening camp, where, hanging in a tree, this lamp would illuminate the campsite well.

Looks good to me Pete  Shy

RE: A Handy light. - Limey Pete - 08-14-2018

Yes Deerstalker I always try to alert wilderness sleepers to new developments which enhance their comfort outside.
Alas, out of 22 views you are the only person to comment.
Tears come to my eyes when I think of North Americans stumbling around their campsites in the dark with only a small Chinese candle to light their way.
Us Commonwealth citizens have a duty to support our less enlightened cousins and show them the way- so to speak.
Such as possessing a rechargeable LED lamp - to show them the way.
Don't you agree Deerstalker?
I know you do because, you as a Commonwealth citizen are the only one to comment, and you are aware of the potential of this item.

Tongue

RE: A Handy light. - Deerstalker - 08-14-2018

(08-14-2018, 07:21 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: Alas, out of 22 views you are the only person to comment.

I figure most of the regulars have gone fishing or hunting Pete Rolleyes

RE: A Handy light. - Limey Pete - 08-14-2018

(08-14-2018, 07:23 AM)Deerstalker Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 07:21 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: Alas, out of 22 views you are the only person to comment.

I figure most of the regulars have gone fishing or hunting Pete Rolleyes

I hope they have their Chinese candle night lights with them Deerstalker.

Big Grin

RE: A Handy light. - ddennis2 - 08-14-2018

I am sorry your sensitivities were affected Peter.

Deerstalker is correct...here in the South, while we have plenty of summer left, but school is about to begin and our children and grandchildren are getting prepared. Consequently, many are getting those last few days of family vacation in with trips to wholesome places like Disneyland, 6 Flags and the such.
No hunting this time of year and fishing is slow because of the heat, however boating and skiing and such are very popular.

Please continue with your gear searches, just because someone doesn't post doesn't mean they weren't assisted by your find.

DD

RE: A Handy light. - Limey Pete - 08-15-2018

(08-14-2018, 11:25 AM)ddennis2 Wrote: I am sorry your sensitivities were affected Peter.

Deerstalker is correct...here in the South, while we have plenty of summer left, but school is about to begin and our children and grandchildren are getting prepared.  Consequently, many are getting those last few days of family vacation in with trips to wholesome places like Disneyland, 6 Flags and the such.
No hunting this time of year and fishing is slow because of the heat, however boating and skiing and such are very popular.

Please continue with your gear searches, just because someone doesn't post doesn't mean they weren't assisted by your find.

DD

Dennis, I consider that a compliment from someone who states: Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps! 

Big Grin

RE: A Handy light. - Deerstalker - 08-15-2018

(08-15-2018, 07:57 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: Dennis, I consider that a compliment from someone who states:

Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps! 

Big Grin

It's not my phrase, but......

It's always a trade off Pete , energy expend v/s best possible result  Confused

Not everyone lives in a tropical paradise Tongue

RE: A Handy light. - jbarrow - 08-15-2018

Interesting but I already carry a solar rechargeable headlamp.

RE: A Handy light. - muleskinner - 08-16-2018

Hippolytus and Euripides???

RE: A Handy light. - Willie - 08-16-2018

he's living next to a strip bar teaching the pole dancers English. he doesn't need to be reading poorn like the rest of us. But show some class man. Euripides and Hippolytus . . . . you should be reading something better like Sophocles's Ajax or Electra. and in the original greek, naturally.

RE: A Handy light. - Limey Pete - 08-16-2018

(08-16-2018, 12:27 AM)muleskinner Wrote: Hippolytus and Euripides???
Hippolytus by Euripides.

Fascinating, but have a dictionary handy nearby.  Smile

RE: A Handy light. - Limey Pete - 08-16-2018

(08-16-2018, 01:24 AM)Willie Wrote: he's living next to a strip bar teaching the pole dancers English. he doesn't need to be reading poorn like the rest of us. But show some class man. Euripides and Hippolytus . . . . you should be reading something better like Sophocles's Ajax or Electra. and in the original greek, naturally.

I do not know why you are described as a new hoodlum Willie; you have been around since 2006!

Well Sophocles's was a writer of plays, which do not convert well to literature, in my opinion.
 Ajax was a mythical warrior, and an interesting character if one is interested in that sort of person, but it seems he treated women as sexual objects. And cared nothing about the environment, probably drank too much and used profane language.
 Electra is a story also written by Euripides, which might be worthwhile reading.
There is a bookshop here in Pattaya that might have this book, but alas girls have taken over the establishment, and use the lure of books to entice innocent persons such as myself inside, where I would be subjected to extreme sexual provocation.
In the interest of culture, I might dash in and quickly check the shelves before they have a chance to use the powers of Medusa on me.

Tongue

RE: A Handy light. - Willie - 08-16-2018

(08-16-2018, 08:20 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: I do not know why you are described as a new hoodlum Willie; you have been around since 2006!

Yeah I’m old as the greeks but I was passed out drunk half the time so that part doesnea count right. Which makes me a noob I guess. Plus they don’t let you use the internet when your in jail. But I did rent alot of educational videos like Oedipus’s Racks, Girls Gone Dionysian, and the Dickathalon. Like Haemon says in Antigone “a man, though wise, should never be ashamed of learning more, and must unbend his mind.

RE: A Handy light. - wmerrin - 08-16-2018

(08-16-2018, 08:20 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: I do not know why you are described as a new hoodlum Willie; you have been around since 2006!

Post count; 50 posts causes an automatic promotion to "Official Hoodlum" and 500 triggers "Master Hoodlum" status.

Wally