Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here is a question that might generate some new ideas for equipment.
(01-24-2018, 09:40 PM)Bob_Spr Wrote: M65 field jacket

AHH Thanks Bob, that clarifies--TNRR and I both thought it was a hairy space animal... Big Grin

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(01-27-2018, 04:13 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:

AHH Thanks Bob, that clarifies--TNRR and I both thought it was a hairy space animal... Big Grin

Ah, no....  I am pretty sure Bob's post was just adding to the list.

The woobie is the poncho liner, which is often used as a lightweight blanket.  Better than nothing...  "Travel light, freeze at night."

Google Search for Woobie

(01-27-2018, 01:53 AM)rcwalla Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 08:40 AM)Limey Pete Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 12:21 AM)rcwalla Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 09:16 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: How can it be a AF survival knife when it does not have a little compass in the top Rich?

Tongue

Woodies are good, I saw one in a jacket form once.
They are very warm for the weight they are.
Limey, It is good to hear from you old friend.   The US airforce survival knife is plain jane and ugly but functional kinda like some brits I know.

Alas Rich, this Brit does not become functional until ten in the morning nowadays, due to the adverse effects of bring a Pattaya Sin City playboy.  Wink

The forum does not read much from Luke lately; did he ever move to Idaho?
I don't see or hear much from Luke. Since I moved up into the Snob Hill part of town, it is about an hour and a half to get over to his place.

Ah so it seems Luke never migtrated to Idaho. Maybe Ron's passing changed his mind. Pity, Idaho is a pleasant part of the USA.
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."
Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."
Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery

“Steady Monty. you cant speak to me like that. I'm you boss."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Remember gentlemen it is not just France we are fighting for, it's champagne."
Churchill 

[Image: 27067575_10156118963551468_2978456878757...e=5AE7DA83]Bill is right. The poncho liner is all synthetic dries very quickly, and traps in a lot of heat for it's light weight. I use it as an underquilt when I hammock, and my kids keep kidnapping them for their own use.

WFW
[Image: 27332291_10156118963651468_8310748822928...e=5B1DF0D7]
Flunkis Moritani - When in doubt - Play dead  - Red Green
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
(01-29-2018, 03:49 PM)WetFootWilley Wrote: [Image: 27067575_10156118963551468_2978456878757...e=5AE7DA83]

Now THAT is funny!!!

"You're going home, soldier, turn your gear in."
"Turn that in, too."
"But, but..."
"Turn it in!"
"Um...  What if I re-up?"

(01-28-2018, 07:57 AM)Limey Pete Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 12:21 AM)rcwalla Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 09:16 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: How can it be a AF survival knife when it does not have a little compass in the top Rich?

Tongue

Woodies are good, I saw one in a jacket form once.
They are very warm for the weight they are.
Limey, It is good to hear from you old friend.   The US airforce survival knife is plain jane and ugly but functional kinda like some brits I know.

Alas Rich, this Brit does not become functional until ten in the morning nowadays, due to the adverse effects of bring a Pattaya Sin City playboy.  Wink

I don't see or hear much from Luke. Since I moved up into the Snob Hill part of town, it is about an hour and a half to get over to his place.

Ah so it seems Luke never migtrated to Idaho. Maybe Ron's passing changed his mind. Pity, Idaho is a pleasant part of the USA.
Luke has his property in Idaho and is constantly improving it.  He has yet to retire from his firefighter job, but I think he is getting to within a year or two.  Brumbie and Norseman are there and proudly representing the clan, awaiting his move.  He is pretty busy with knife building and attending knife shows in order to present and hopefully sell his wares.  His work is over the top and he has some absolutely outstanding mentors who have guided his work the past few years.

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

(01-27-2018, 04:48 PM)Bill Hay Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 04:13 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:

Ah, no....  I am pretty sure Bob's post was just adding to the list.

The woobie is the poncho liner, which is often used as a lightweight blanket.  Better than nothing...  "Travel light, freeze at night."

Google Search for Woobie

yes thanks Bill, he actually sent me a message later saying it was a poncho liner...which looks like an impressive piece of gear! I needz me one of those! Big Grin

now that cartoon made me laugh loudly....what if I re-up he says hahahaha!

AOC

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(01-29-2018, 05:11 PM)ddennis2 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 07:57 AM)Limey Pete Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 12:21 AM)rcwalla Wrote: Limey, It is good to hear from you old friend.   The US airforce survival knife is plain jane and ugly but functional kinda like some brits I know.

Luke has his property in Idaho and is constantly improving it.  He has yet to retire from his firefighter job, but I think he is getting to within a year or two.  Brumbie and Norseman are there and proudly representing the clan, awaiting his move.  He is pretty busy with knife building and attending knife shows in order to present and hopefully sell his wares.  His work is over the top and he has some absolutely outstanding mentors who have guided his work the past few years.

DD
Ah good for Luke. he certainly make some excellent knives, and I also like his scabbards.
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

I must include the British Army Issue NI PLCE 30 Litre Patrol Pack made from Cordura.
Ron liked Cordura.
I have carried many packs in my time, but none are as good as this pack.
Some say they are too small, well now they are available in bigger sizes.
I also like the US Army Alice packs. They are a bit out of date now but I met many carrying them who liked them very much.
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

I have always wanted to try out the Norwegian Army’s Jerven bag. One of these days, I’m going to treat myself to one.

I swear by the US mil’s winter guantlet type mittens that go over your sleeves - both the older trigger finger type and the Korean war era types with the snot fleece on the back of the hand.

The US Goretex bivy bags are totally top shelf gear.

German butter dishes are another somewhat occult but extremely covet-worthy item.

There is this thing called a Swiss snow shovel that I have also been keeping an eye out for. It is aluminum and its distinctive feature is that it has a squeeze-clamp type mechanism where a stick or pole can be inserted as a handle. You can thus not have to pack a handle and simply cut a long pole to permit digging snow - even (preferably) while standing up!

One of the items I ended up using a lot recently is a plain ol’ cheap SS US Army canteen cup. It is a great drinking cup and it pours liquids beautifully. I like it because it is CHEAP and I can put coffee in it AND park it right on the wood stove.
{  "Trust in Jesus but carry a sixgun in the bathroom."€  Phantom  }
I have one of the US army cups but stopped using it because I do not use the US army canteen anymore.
The cup fits the water bottle.

And I found the army cup burns my lips . . .
I carry water in empty wine bladders, of which I always seem to have plenty.
The butter dish you wrote of interests me. 
Can the plastic be taken out of it, so that the butter dish can be used for heating food Alukban?
The Norwegian Army’s Jerven bag appears to be wearable. Is that so Alukban?
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

Yes, the plastic can be slipped out easily LP.

[Image: D1737EEC-B18D-4BE9-BF55-90BD6B452A73_zpshxwyz1nq.jpg]

The thing is not watertight without it though.

The bottom part without the plastic will hold 1 even cup of water when filled to the rim.

It will boil ya a nice little cuppa indeed Smile
{  "Trust in Jesus but carry a sixgun in the bathroom."€  Phantom  }
Yes they look good.
There are three for sale on eBay, from Fort Worth.
I would bet I know the very store they come from.
They have heaps of German Army surplus.
Strange, during the last war, the German Army had a Bakelite butter dish issued . . .
Seems they like butter.
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

The military grade Karimor packs are top shelf and I believe are still issued to Brit SF
I have a 34 liter pack that I use as a 1-2 day pack in tan color.
I really like it
I have a bigger pack from Tasmanian Tiger that I got from a Canadian Soldier who said he was issued it. I think they are Chinese knockoffs of Karimor but it holds a bit more gear for longer trips so I keep it around.
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
I used karimor for years. I knew the man that invented them, but he sold out and they then became very heavy and substandard.
The man that invented them was the first to invent/use, the clip buckles, which could be adjusted without opening.
Now all packs have these buckles, which are now plastic.
However I have never seen a karimor military grade back pack.
The magic word for me is cordura. If they are made from cordura, I would buy one.
The problem with kit is, they put the word military in the title, and this encourages sales. this might not mean it is better.
It is like the word Irish. Put the word Irish on anything, and the product sells better. Add a shamrock on a tin of beans, and they could double sales!
Put Irish on a pub title and more customers drink there.
Somehow the word Irish on computers does not work though . . .

Tongue
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill