Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Effective Is A .22?
[quote name='EdD270' date='04 February 2011 - 10:22 PM' timestamp='1296879752' post='509099']

Lots of good advice given already, some clarification needed in places.

Your 10/22 is designed to function and fire only .22 Long Rifles. If you use Shorts, Longs or the "Colibri" rounds be aware you'll have to function the action manually and load them single shot, they won't function through the magazine. Also be sure to check the barrel after each "Colibri" shot to be sure the bullet left the barrel.

As for practice, lots of practice is very good, more is better. BUT only IF you are practicing doing things correctly. Practicing doing things wrong just builds bad habits that have to be broken later before you can learn to do it right. You say you're a newbie, noting wrong with that, we all either are or were at some time. It's important to get competent instruction in how to shoot, operate and maintain your rifle, then you'll know what to practice. Practice can be done on your own, but it takes an instructor to watch you shoot and make corrections to get you on the right foot to start with. Ask around the local gun stores and check the yellow pages and online to find a competent instructor to get you started right.

[/quote]

they will function using 22 longs you have to put them in the mag right the last round acts as a mag follower and wont' feed
I have tried Colibres in my 10/22, Walter P22, and the .22 conversion of my AR. They feed out of the magazines and into the chambers just fine.

you will have to manually operate the action for each shot.

holding the ejection port towards the ground aids ejection of the fired case.

I got rid of my first 10/22 when I was 13 because my Dad wouldn't let me have the magazine unless I was with him. Single loading the

10/22 is no fun. I was better off with a dedicated single shot.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but rather the one most adaptable to change."

Charles Darwin

http://www.selfdefenseinitiative.com
One other benefit of .22 is if you fire it inside an auto or other confined space, it is a lot easier on your ears. Another thing to remember the average .22 bullet is close to the size and weight of 00 Buckshot.
Those on the far right would call me a liberal tree hugger, I'm worst than a tree hugger, I'm a tree planter. Those on the far left would call me a gun waving conservative, I never wave my gun, I keep it steady on target.

If we don't watch out for each other, who will watch out for us?
330 of 1000 vs 220 of 1000 and 50 grain vs 40 ish
[quote name='Stitch' date='04 February 2011 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1296860394' post='509040']

A word of caution on the 'Colibres' made by Aguila. The box says for handgun use only. With that being said I have never had one fail to exit the barrel on either on my .22 lr rifles. Please make sure they exit the barrel before sending another one down range.

[/quote]

I have had them fail to exit my CZ 452 American both times I tried them.
I recently sold a nice rifle and as a result I had an "extra" 4x12 Lepould tactical scope laying around. I elected to put it on a CZ 452 American bolt gun in .22lr and see what it would do. After a little work taking down metal chickens at 200 meters was easy. We then tried clay pigeons at 200 yds, no problem.

We have shot ground squirrels at 100+ yds and they make it back to their hole a lot of the time, so in my experience the round lacks STOPPING power out past 70 yards. That is not the same as killing power, but I have to admit I was shocked at how easy it was to hit at long range with the little cartridge.
[quote name='Freebirde' date='08 February 2011 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1297216852' post='509664']

One other benefit of .22 is if you fire it inside an auto or other confined space, it is a lot easier on your ears. Another thing to remember the average .22 bullet is close to the size and weight of 00 Buckshot.

[/quote]

Although the .22 is quieter (lower decibels) than almost all other rounds it has a high frequency which will cause significant long term higher register damage. Ear (and eye) protection should be used whenever possible/practical.
I am a patient man.
It is my job to show what "right" looks like.
Learning: a continuation of the failure process - Me 2015
My 1022 loves the federal premium hollow points. I get good groups and they work well in all my 22's. I always had good luck with cci stingers as well. I was shooting w my stepson not long ago and he laughed at the size of the bullet. ( "whats that gonna do?")where his exact words. Even after punching allot of fresh holes in our old dryer at 30 yards or so he was still skeptical. as luck would have it , a few days later my neighbor called me and said he had a good sized sow in a trap. So i woke up the boy and grabbed the .22 and we walked down there. The sow was a good size an easy 250. one shot between the eye and the ear and it was bbq time! I did not have to convince him how lethal the 22 can b after that. Super effective and cheap, hell they even make tracers! the 22 is to much fun! Happy plinking!

Shane
We already have a great of selection of 22LR ammunition for certain tasks. Imagine in the future when some one will eventually invent a real game changer for the 22LR. I just wish they would make hand loading for the 22 LR possible. This will open up the possibilities ten fold.

Tön
I have a magazine around here someplace that shows u how to turn spent 22lr casings into .223 bullets. Thought that was cool. yet another use for the .22
I don't think it'll ever be worth reloading .22 LR. You'd have to remove the dent, resize the case, reprime it, repowder it, press in a bullet... sounds like a ordeal for something that is worth less than 4 cents a shot. I doubt the cases would survive many firing pin hits. And the cost, weight and size of the reloading equipment...

Using spent casings for bullets doesn't sound too good for the barrel. I'd rather stick to lead and copper, stuff that isn't going to wear out the barrel quickly. Could always melt down some plastic, use wood, wax, paper (spitball baby!), and other things.
[quote name='RogerSP' date='12 February 2011 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1297528702' post='510119']

Using spent casings for bullets doesn't sound too good for the barrel. I'd rather stick to lead and copper, stuff that isn't going to wear out the barrel quickly. Could always melt down some plastic, use wood, wax, paper (spitball baby!), and other things.

[/quote]

I do not think this would be any more abusive to the barrel than something like a Remington Golden Sabre or a Barnes solid.

http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchant.mv...y_Code=BSD

They are as accurate as any commercial bullet, produce less barrel wear due to their lower friction (half the thickness, up to six times the zinc content compared to commercial bullets), and extremely explosive on impact even at modest speeds.

Back to the topic in this thread. ***CAUTION THE BELOW LINK CONTAINS VERY GRAPHIC IMAGES.***

http://books.google.com/books?id=JpwNhdc...&q&f=false

Taking the .22lr to the next level - jacketed bullets.

http://rimfireuniverse.com/
[quote name='ton45' date='11 February 2011 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1297450626' post='510025']

We already have a great of selection of 22LR ammunition for certain tasks. Imagine in the future when some one will eventually invent a real game changer for the 22LR. I just wish they would make hand loading for the 22 LR possible. This will open up the possibilities ten fold.

Tön

[/quote]

You can handload 22 rimfire. I know how to do it but really would only need to do so if that was my "only" option. In which case I can think of other options also. Ragnar benson's method is well... I 'll use what I know how to do. Also, kind of a mute point when you can stock up.

http://store.thehuntingshack.com/armscor...brass.aspx
[quote name='Scottman' date='13 February 2011 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1297651849' post='510341']

[quote name='ton45' date='11 February 2011 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1297450626' post='510025']

Tön

[/quote]

You can handload 22 rimfire. I know how to do it but really would only need to do so if that was my "only" option. In which case I can think of other options also. Ragnar benson's method is well... I 'll use what I know how to do. Also, kind of a mute point when you can stock up.

http://store.thehuntingshack.com/armscor...brass.aspx

[/quote]

Thanks Scottman!

So how do you seat the projectiles?

Has anyone tried putting a jacketed .223 projectile on these with slower burning powder to reach a descent velocity but safe pressure?
by hand.

I would not do that. at all. i mean really, what's the point? the 22 lr case is actually too big because it use to use black powder.

22 lr ammo is in expensive. stock up. problem solved. really I rarely use more then 5 or so different loads. Quite easy to get those loads.