Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is Wrong With Wolves?
Hi Folks

We do not have too many wolves in Maine so I am kind of ignorant to the topic

I hear a lot of hate for wolves but am not sure why.

They got a right to live just as much as the next animal dont they?

I mean yeah if they are destroying cattle they need to be controlled but not wiped out

Enlighten me please

Kid
Live with honor, ride with truth.  Be friendly to others.  But always carry a gun on your side and a knife in your boot because there are those that do not feel the same as this.

Kid-

I am not an expert by any means.

The biggest thing that I see over and over again....ignorance.

Archaic, under-educated ignorance that is medieval in nature.

The same reason they were wiped out in medieval Europe, superstition and nonsense.

Should they be controlled? Sure, not contesting that at all....

But swelling deer herds with no natural predators, here in KY deer are a menace esp. to drivers on the interstates...I swear sometimes I think they are suicidal! Even with unlimited does (you can kill as many as you want) during our 5 month deer season has not put a dent in the need to thin the herd. Can you say that natural predators are needed?? It's more than difficult for our scrawny coyotes to bring down a full sized doe.

Flame away!
Cheers,

Stonedog

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Winter is Coming

-Stark family words
The way I see it, coyotes are bad enough. They've laid waste to the deer herd for way to long. Wolf=bigger coyote. We do not have a overpopulation issue with deer or moose up here. Coyotes are another story. There should be a bounty. The thought of bringing in wolves turns my stomach. I'll kill them where I find them.

Just the way it is.
"I'd love to spit some Beach nut in that dude's eyes and shoot him with my old .45, 'cause A Country Boy Can Survive"!!--- Hank Williams Jr. musician/prophet
I don't understand why we need apex predators in the lower 48, we are the apex predators. In places where we are stopped from being the dominant force by legislation (California) bad things happen to the unprepared. Mountain lions stalking children for example.

YMMV
These are the points and thoughts I've gathered:

wolves were introduced into Idaho by activists, despite opposition by residents.

the wolves introduced are candian arctic grey wolves. A larger, more agressive breed than the native ID wolf.

The have not brought the herds into balance, but have decimated the populations.

Damage to livestock and pets has been severe.

Wolves have a right to exist, just like any other animal.

Wolves need to be controlled, not exterminated. Keep their numbers at an acceptable level and the problems go away.

Activist Judges et al. have blocked states from managing the wolf populations.
Truly lazy people do things right the first time.
The wolves in Montana and Idaho have done a lot of damage to the deer and elk herds.I like to eat elk too,we need to control the wolf numbers.Places where I hunt,where I used to see a lot of elk sign,now you barely see a track,the states need to control the wolves in a way that works best for them,people who live out side of the western mountain states,do not understand what is going on here.
Yup, bringing in Canadian wolves is like bringing in hyenas and cheetahs to the Midwest - they all eat plains game, right? Neither one was here to begin with.

How long has there been an unlimited number of doe harvest in KY? What are officials doing to control the population close to the city limits? Unless the deer are also hunted in the urban areas deer/vehicle collisions will remain bad - the deer will go where there's less hunting pressure, i.e. your back yard.
Steve
  • Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but it can get there real fast.
  • Losing an illusion makes you smarter than finding a truth - Ludwig Borne
  • Always remember the Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules.
  • This is more fun than beating a tree hugger with a dead baby seal.
Wolves have been introduced into Arizona even though there is limited habitat with supporting wildlife. WW
Nothing wrong with wolves, but all things in moderation.

Which sadly does not apply to the most overpopulated animal...
Clint H.

The Wandering Ones webcomic

http://wanderingones.com

"Dr. Universe... at least tell me something! You were a respected scientist, your work on the Cherenkov-Kirby reaction was going to benefit all mankind! Why would you turn into a Supervillain? WHY?"

"I read an Ayn Rand novel." - Spinnerette Webcomic
Nothing wrong with a wolf that a gut shot won't fix.
http://journalnet.com/news/local/article...03286.html
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Its probably my age that makes people think I am an adult.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
I don't know if I buy that 100% the lost revenue numbers anyway....why?

We are in the middle of the worst economy since the 1920's.

Who the hell has the cash for a guided out of state hunt?

Not I!

I took a 30K a year pay cut.....yes I am happy and working....but I cannot afford a trip like an elk hunt.....even if I went and guided myself!
Cheers,

Stonedog

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Winter is Coming

-Stark family words
They can grow up to become politicians. Nuff said!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
[quote name='Kid Couteau' date='24 December 2010 - 10:27 AM' timestamp='1293211660' post='502027']

Hi Folks

We do not have too many wolves in Maine so I am kind of ignorant to the topic

I hear a lot of hate for wolves but am not sure why.

They got a right to live just as much as the next animal dont they?

I mean yeah if they are destroying cattle they need to be controlled but not wiped out

Enlighten me please

Kid

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with wolves, per se. The biggest problem with them is the way the enviro-nazis use them to exercise control over the people in an area and rob the people of their God-given rights. I don't believe the have a "right to live" and certainly don't think they have any "rights" that trump the God-given rights of humans.

Someone commented about coyotes. Actually coyotes were limited to the extreme Southwestern US and NE Mexico region when Columbus landed. Getting rid of wolves allowed them to spread out over the country. I'd rather have the wolves. But the way the enviro-nazis and the gov't go about "reestablishing" and "protecting" the wolves is a crime, and certainly not within the bounds of competent scientific game management principles.

Death is nature's way of telling you you are inadequate. Extinction is nature's way of telling you your whole species is inadequate.
Think direction first, then velocity.

“Let your gun accompany you on your walks, the heft will do you well and it will ward off evildoers.” Thomas Jefferson
Kid:

Pray that Maine doesn't get the wolf idea shoved down their throats. As a fellow New Englander I am fully aware of the deer situation in Maine especially in the northern one third. Due to the cutting of deer yards by timber companies as well as some severe winters the deer herd has been cut in half. You don't need to have wolves to control the population. If wolves are imported to Maine you will see the end of any sort of deer hunting. Northern Maine is in enough trouble as it is without that problem. Robert Noonan, trapper editor of Maine Sportsman stated that a coyote hunting contest last season removed a large percentage of deer eating eastern coyotes. When Maine had their snaring program in effect the deer kill in the Grand Lake area doubled.

I suspect that the hidden purpose of this wolf bullshit is to eliminate the game herds so as to end hunting. If there is no hunting then you have no legitimate reason to own a firearm. Also, for people in rural locations it will make them more dependent on a government handout instead of being more self sufficient.