Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whole Or Cracked Corn
Hello good people

Thinking of adding 50 or 100 pounds of dried corn to the pantry, part of the long term preps thing. I have ground up whole kernel dried field corn with a hand cranked grinder for cooking many times, and was thinking cracked would be a little easier to grind, but maybe the long term storage would not be the same. Please let me know if you have any experience with this.

Bill
Bill,

I do not have any directly related personal experience to comment from really, but like you I have ground whole kernel corn with a hand grinder on a few occasions, many years in the past. I don't remember the grinder being that difficult to turn to grind the corn, but that was not yesterday by any stretch of the imagination.

I would venture a guess that the cracker corn, having the kernel already broken, would actually be easier to use grinding the cracked corn into cornmeal. The grinder being used could also have a bearing on the difficulty or ease with which the grinding is performed. Why not try grinding five pounds of whole kernel corn, time the process and estimate the difficulty on a scale from 1-10. Then another day repeat the activity with five pounds of cracked corn. Then compare notes. It may not be the most scientific process, but it's better than just guessing and estimating what is easier. Or have a number of individuals grind one pound of each corn and get input from everyone participating in the experiment.

Bosch made in the past an attachment with stone plates for grinding grains, but they have since been discontinued. They still show up on e-bay from time to time if you happen to have a Bosch machine [their full size mixer will only handle the stone grinding attachment, IIRC] that can use this attachment. If electricity could possible be available to do some work, this might be something to consider, but if you have to buy the mixer should you find a grinder attachment, it might not be economically feasible, or without any possible hope of having electricity in an all out time of distress, it would not be worthy of consideration.

Maybe not an answer, but hopefully some food for thought.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
Just as a side note to this thread, "back in the day" home processing of corn into meal was a two part process.

First the whole kernels were crushed with a mortar and pestle. This was often a large hardwood stump that had been hollowed out for the purpose. The pestle was a smaller piece of hardwood that was often attached to a spring pole to assist in handling the weight of the small log that made the pestle.

After the whole kernels were crushed they were further processed into meal using the traditional mano and matade.

The process was so labor intense that in almost every settlement a gristmill was the first profitable enterprise established.

"Hog and hominy" were the two staples of life for the frontier farmer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=grinding...B366%3B488
Has anyone tried John Cope's Toasted Dried Sweet Corn product available in 7.5 oz packs, serves eight? There is some prep time involved and it can be ground into a finer consistency for meal or flour if desired. Just got my supply from Santa last week. I think shelf life is five years.

-sevensix