Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honda Cd 110 Dream
I'm pretty blown away by the loads some of those little scooters are carrying. the one with 3 pigs has to be above 400lb.
"I'm pretty blown away by the loads some of those little scooters are carrying. the one with 3 pigs has to be above 400lb"

Those are just the tip of the iceberg. If you like images like that, I highly recommend two books by a German photographer, Hans Kemp: Bikes of Burden and Carrying Cambodia.

In the 1960s and 1970, there was a movement in this country that revolved around the idea that Small Is Beautiful. Certainly there is a place for the F-350 Ford pickup, the 12-pound sledgehammer, the .458 Winchester Magnum, the 12-inch Bowie Knife, the 10,000-square-foot McMansion. But maybe it would do us some good to occasionally reset our default mode to "small" rather than "obese." Small bikes like this are a reminder of what we can accomplish with little--and that's one of the goals of survival, isn't it? Accomplishing much with only a trashbag, a pocket knife, and so on?

Cheers,

--ML

[Image: bikes-of-burden-de-jeunes-gens-modernes.jpg]

[Image: bikes-of-burden-de-jeunes-gens-modernes-5.jpg]
"But maybe it would do us some good to occasionally reset our default mode to "small" rather than "obese." Small bikes like this are a reminder of what we can accomplish with little--and that's one of the goals of survival, isn't it? Accomplishing much with only a trashbag, a pocket knife, and so on?"

Agreed. There's a 'tiny house' movement going on right now and I'm in the process of creating my own version with the Silo conversion. My plan will allow me be to be entirely debt free (mortgage, medical/credit card fees, etc.) well within 5 years.

It's the little things that make a difference. For example, my lifestyle does not revolve around a smartphone. I use a flip phone and pay by the minute. I can get by on spending around $27.00 for three months of use. People's eyes get wide when I tell them how much I'm able to save a year just by talking to people face to face.

Eric
woodsdrummer.com

"In the school of the woods there is no graduation day" Horace Kephart