Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pistol Crossbows?
has anyone had good luck with these? what use have you put them to? Do they deserve a spot in your kit?

thanks
you get what you pay for. Back in the day- the mid 90's - i bough a pistol cross bow at a gun show, with some bolts. While the power was good, the acurracy sucked. I wounded a squirrel with it- high up in a tree, this this WOULD reach out- but lost 3 more bolts to make a killshot on him. Despite my effots at pracvtice and tweeking the mechanism, i was unable to get decent accuacy out of it. Bummer.

The barnet trident, however, is a diferent kettle of fish, from what i ahve been told from people who own/ed them. I do not think they are made anymore.
They're fun, they're a novelty, shooting stuff is always fun. Place in a kit -> nah-ah.

At 2-3 lbs plus considerations like bulk, capability (accuracy and lethality), and not being able to make new bolts with wood, I'd pack rat traps,110 conibears, or a 22 pistol.
Steve
  • Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but it can get there real fast.
  • Losing an illusion makes you smarter than finding a truth - Ludwig Borne
  • Always remember the Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules.
  • This is more fun than beating a tree hugger with a dead baby seal.
I have been designing one in my head. Need to kick myself in the butt and make it.

If I can get it to work right it WILL be lethal at close range.

Patterning it after the SOE's Little Joe

I think such a crossbow would have a place in a kit...if you need silence.

Kid
Live with honor, ride with truth.  Be friendly to others.  But always carry a gun on your side and a knife in your boot because there are those that do not feel the same as this.

I"m looking forward to it. I'm getting horrible accuracy with a 50 pound one.
I bought one in 1994 and gave it to my brother in 1999. I also bought a pack of aluminum bolts for it, it came with plastic bolts with metal tips.

Pros:

Cheap ($20.00)

Powerful for the size (45 lbs)

Somewhat compact

Cons:

Hard to hit with it

The plastic bolts broke after hitting an archery target and the plastic rear section of the aluminum bolts flew out of the aluminum shaft after hitting the target. I had to glue them in.

The part to hold the bolts in did not work very well, even when I tried adjusting it. This meant that the bolts sometimes fell out when aiming at a downwards angle. This could be a defect in the one I had and not common to these weapons.

While the cocking mechanism worked the entire time I had it, it did seem kind of flimsy.

The bolts are hard to find when you miss the target outdoors.

I can see this being a potential indoor defense weapon for those who want something they can buy legally with no paper trail and live in a place they can't own firearms, but only something to shoot the attacker with before immediately grabbing an edged or blunt weapon.

It falls into the category of weapons I would not trust for self-defense but I also wouldn't want used on me.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
Scottman what weight bolt were you using with a 50 pound crossbow?

It may be too light?

Kid
Live with honor, ride with truth.  Be friendly to others.  But always carry a gun on your side and a knife in your boot because there are those that do not feel the same as this.

Dear Friends,

Pistol crossbows have a prod with shorter limbs than their full size brethren, giving them less travel distance and less leverage to act upon the bolt. Perhaps one of the arching brethren can better explain the physics.

My personal experience with commercial pistol crossbows is that they are marginally adequate for small game at close ranges. And they wear strings out really fast.

In a survival kit, there are much better uses for the amount of weight and space that such an item would take up.

Just my thoughts,

Don Oso.
Don Oso

Now remember, boys and girls, once the pin is out, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend...

"Toast is just the beginning with your new toaster oven..." 6 Finger Jake

"Ninjas are SUPPOSED to be silent... they're like mimes...with throwing stars..." Overheard in the coffee shop

"Soylens Viridis hominenes est"

"She was the kind of girl you could really carry a torch for... along with all the other frightened villagers..."
Guys, there are a few barnett tridents on ebay right now. The gold anodized bolts I had with mine weighed next to nothing - think bottom half of a cheap aluminum pen with a piece of plastic attached. If you read the reviews on Amazon, the consensus is the hard plastic "fletching" doesn't last past one or two shots - I don't think mine lasted much longer than that, but it's been a while.

Kid, after seeing what you've done in the past with other projects, can't wait to see what you come up with. According to some pics I saw on the web, the "little joe" used bands instead of a metal limb - is that what you're going for?

Don't want to just piss in somebody's cheerios, but here are some thoughts that may help: after looking at the weights of arrows/bolts, it seems like a common goal is to have the shaft about 3x the weight of the broadhead. On the archery boards they talk about the arrows needing to flex and stiffer (per draw weight) arrows being much harder to shoot accurately. Btwn the two, those may be limiting/conflicting factors in such short bolt. Do you think you can get a more accurate or powerful setup than the Del-bow? Course, it may be a case of me having just enuf info to be dangerous - wouldn't be the first time.
Steve
  • Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but it can get there real fast.
  • Losing an illusion makes you smarter than finding a truth - Ludwig Borne
  • Always remember the Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules.
  • This is more fun than beating a tree hugger with a dead baby seal.
Hi All

Well I have only made 2 x-bows in my life

One a medieval style with the long lever and all that

The other a pistol version with steel prod.

Both worked ok but I was young and not that knowledgeable. [not too knowledgeable now either but what the hey]

The one I am designing will use slingshot rubbers for power and the bolts are cut down aluminum arrows.

I have made 2 already. With 125 grain points on them and about 9" long I would not want to get hit by one.

Kid

Kid the bolts from the gun show weigh 1/4 ouunce (my scale measures to 1/8) without getting out my lee scale
There are quite a few pistol crossbows at this Forum:

http://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/

And other interesting Stuff.

Try this one:

[url="http://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t768-cocobolo-pistolbow-unique-trigger-design"]http://thearbalistgu...-trigger-design[/url]

.....RVM45 [Image: thumbsup.gif][Image: cool.gif]
There are only Two Types of People in the World:

A.} People who are After My Guns;

and;

B.} People who are Not After My Guns.

Though I am forced to live in exile, in the Twenty-First century; I am still proud to be a Citizen of the Twentieth Century.

RVM45
Fun to play with. Short range.

Make sure to wax the string every time you take it out or you'll wear it out real fast.
remember what the Dormouse said

"Learn from others mistakes. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt
Kid, Look up "little Joe"

I have used a cheap pistol crossbow to run lines to pull cable through false ceilings, architectural voids and under stages. For this they work very well. Otherwise they only do d4/d4 and will deteriorate in about 60 days if taken to the surface.

Muddyboots
Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased!

Thus do we refute entropy. -S. Robinson

Communication is a Survival Skill! So is critical thinking!

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything—you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.

My motto for the woods is "nothing too complicated" due to failure rates, the more complicated a thing is. For me, I would rather have some sort of sling shot bow, (like the DelBow).

I rarely have the need to pierce armor.

OK, all I'm really saying is... I have no experience with crossbows.
Clint H.

The Wandering Ones webcomic

http://wanderingones.com

"Dr. Universe... at least tell me something! You were a respected scientist, your work on the Cherenkov-Kirby reaction was going to benefit all mankind! Why would you turn into a Supervillain? WHY?"

"I read an Ayn Rand novel." - Spinnerette Webcomic