Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool Thoughts
I too would liek to hear more about Mors. Sounds like a new topic to me!

KS
"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd rather have 10 seconds in the saddle than a lifetime of watching from the stands." Chris LeDoux
A wonderful compilation, MB. That wonderful whiteness is fast approaching but we shouldn't hide from it. The Rockies in winter a beautiful.

Mors is great, it would have been nice to hear him at rabbitstick!!
"Did anyone actually see him eat the coffee grounds?

RAEMS..."Satisfaction guaranteed or double your trauma back!"

Remote Areas Emergency Medicine and Survival

http://www.raems.com
I too would like to hear 7.62's report about Mors lecture.

Griz
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
I went to some of Mors lectures too, Rabbitstick 07 and 99. Living Legend fer sure, and one hell of a nice guy.

One thing that he mentioned is the Finns use of the sauna, a couple of hours every day at the start of winter will make it easier to handle severe cold. He said that is one of the reasons the Finnish soldier was so much better than the Russian soldier during WWII. Another thing he talked about was wearing 3 pairs of marine wool sox, comfort, warmth, and the way it kept feet warm even when wet. He went into differences between wet cold and dry cold. One afternoon he built a scale model of his "superstructure" a cold weather shelter of log frameand a couple of different fabrics to cover it, with a plastic window. Also saw him make the Roycraft snowshoe. He has got a lot of funny stories too.

I got his book years ago, this year he mentioned that he is going to write another one sometime in the future. Here is a link to his site.

[url="http://www.karamat.com/index.html"]http://www.karamat.com/index.html[/url]

I am going to get the booklets listed here

[url="http://www.karamat.com/books.html#Pocket1"]http://www.karamat.com/books.html#Pocket1[/url]

Bill
Bill brought up some fond memories of the folks up North.

I was enjoying the company of some Swedes and Finns in the sauna one winter day that was built over a large lake. Then two of the vikings got into an argument over who was suppose to bring the beer. One stood up and slammed his foot down in disgust. Shortly after the stomp a trap door opened in the middle of the sauna with a Swede and a very large crate with beer. I'm not sure how long he stayed down there with his dive rig, but he was brought in as a welcomed guest, that is for sure.

After spending a few moons w/ the folks from the North it became quite easy to figure out who was from Norway/Sweden and Finland. If the guys talked to you they were from Norway or Sweden. If they just nodded their head they were Finnish. Lots of jokes on that one, but you get the idea.

See ya,

KS

"I'd rather have 10 seconds in the saddle than a lifetime of watching from the stands." Chris LeDoux
KS

I have had the same experiences in Northern Europe. Most Swedes have English as a second language, and to a lesser degree Norweigens ...(they seem to be stand-offish toward foreigners.) Only about 20 percent of Finns speak English but were very warm and welcoming to me when I was there.

I finally figured it out...European languages are Latin based, but not Finnish and Estonian..they are from the Hungo-Ugaric language group which originated on the Asian Steppes . As a result, it is just harder for Finns to learn English because the languages do not have a common root.

Finland is still a nation apart and after the war I think they were a bit mistrusting of everyone as nobody came to their aid in 39 when Stalin wanted part on Finland as a buffer against Nazi aggression. When I was there their bank machines only accepted bank cards from Finland. Everyone else had to use a teller. This may change as the EU advances.

Finns are a tough people and I admire them a lot. If I was cold I would listen to what the Finns told me about getting warm.

Did i get side tracked again?

Griz
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
Hey Griz,

Point taken. I was just bringing up some humor that all Northern folk understand from that neck of the woods.

You are correct on the cold weather knowledge of the Finns. I have some solid friends from that land and they are all a bunch of Hoodlums!

KS

[quote name='Kodiaksurvival' post='161767' date='Sep 23 2007, 08:09 PM']Hey Griz,

Point taken. I was just bringing up some humor that all Northern folk understand from that neck of the woods.

You are correct on the cold weather knowledge of the Finns. I have some solid friends from that land and they are all a bunch of Hoodlums!

KS[/quote]

KS ;

I did get the humor, sorry if it seemed otherwise I was trying to reinforce what you were saying about scandinavians. They are all different aren't they?

Gotta love the Finns they are still very much a knife culture, which I think SHOULD make them honarary Hoodlums just on that one merit. I saw a man named Raunno Vaanionpaa take a 4-inch Puukko and carve a capercaillie from a piece of firewood from his fireplace. (a Capercaillie is a turkey sized grouse native to Scandinavia for those who wonder what the hell I am talking about) Each feather in the wing and tail remained attached to the main body and were spread out with a system of notches...absolutely amazing!!

I am off to Sweden again in June and hope to spend a week with the Sami in Lappland. They are a people who know how to weather the cold. I go north every year and weather the cold but I am always eager to learn more ways to be comfortable in the bush.

Griz

I'm with you on this one George..did you all know that dog hair is supposed to be like 10 x warmer than wool?

Paulette
"Shoes and clothing damage our ability to survive naked in the wilderness." Steve Mann

"You can't bullshit an old bullshitter" A wise man.