Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions About A Fungi
[quote name='WayneH' date='Oct 24 2005, 03:54 AM']Here's a reliable web site that gives the nutritional value of mushrooms in general.

[url="http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/PortabellaMushrooms.htm"]http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/PortabellaMushrooms.htm[/url]

[right][post="51753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Interesting numbers. They showed a decent protein content, but almost no carbs or fat. 1 out of 3 macronutrients. Nothing to scoff at, especially since sometimes fungi are the easiest to find foodstuff.

I'm sure the numbers will vary for different fungi.

The Posse's warnings are well taken. Ron's solo survival video explicitly shows us why.

[quote name='Muddyboots' date='Oct 22 2005, 10:53 AM']By the way, Ron got sick from eating Morrels. Mushrooms can go bad, and get other molds.

[right][post="51622"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

As I recall Ron commented on the board that what made him sick were "false morells," not morells. Has he reevaluated this? The morell is pretty distinctive, and the things we call "false morell" here, (various Helvellas and Gyromitras) don't look very much like Morchella esculenta, Morchella angusticeps, or Verpa bohemica, the common edible morells.
Howard Wallace
Heres another web site with mushroom info...

[url="http://www.mushroominfo.com/nutrition/nutri.html"]http://www.mushroominfo.com/nutrition/nutri.html[/url]
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

You gotta stand for something or your gonna fall for anything.

Together we stand divided we fall.

2 Chr.7:14 ... Psa 27 ... Jonh 17:20-26 ... Eph. 6:12

Hold on to your seats boys and girls, its gonna be a bumpy ride.
Hi Howard,

I'm not speaking FOR Ron, but the film shows what happens when somebody goofs. He appears to have thought that he WAS eating Morrels at the time. I'll let Ron comment on it himself. I think the film stands as a good lesson, either way.

Thanks for the nutritional Info! I bet it does differ type to type. I love (farmed) Mushrooms sauted in olive oil and served beside a Bronto steak!

Muddyboots
Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased!

Thus do we refute entropy. -S. Robinson

Communication is a Survival Skill! So is critical thinking!

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything—you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.

[quote name='Muddyboots' date='Oct 25 2005, 12:45 PM']Hi Howard,

I'm not speaking FOR Ron, but the film shows what happens when somebody goofs. He appears to have thought that he WAS eating Morrels at the time. I'll let Ron comment on it himself. I think the film stands as a good lesson, either way.

Thanks for the nutritional Info! I bet it does differ type to type. I love (farmed) Mushrooms sauted in olive oil and served beside a Bronto steak!

Muddyboots

[right][post="51869"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I bought one of those "grow your own" kits out of a catalog and had a good experience with it. I might try it again sometime. Maybe even go with a different variety.

I like them cooked up with butter, onions, and bell peppers. Of course even Sticky Beans would taste good fried up with onions and butter!

Wayne
Life ain't nothin but a funny funny riddle..... J. Denver
In our WM Vol 11 - Solo video Ron ate what we believed to be what is called a "False Morel." They look similar to real Morels but contain a toxic ingredient in them similar to rocket fuel. Ron got sick within 1/2 hour of eating it. If he had eaten more of them it could have killed him.

I know you all know this, but please be careful when identifying and eating wild mushrooms. They can be very dangerous to mess around with.

Karen
Thank you everyone for adding your valid consernes.

Eating any wild shroom should be done with great caution

as it could be a serious life threatening situation.

Very good to mention and not to be taken lightly.

I am glad it was not any worse for Ron and he has recovered.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

You gotta stand for something or your gonna fall for anything.

Together we stand divided we fall.

2 Chr.7:14 ... Psa 27 ... Jonh 17:20-26 ... Eph. 6:12

Hold on to your seats boys and girls, its gonna be a bumpy ride.