• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kydex Sheath Making
Heres The Deal......

Posted By: Normark - Registered User

Posted At: (3/9/03 5:11 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del

Hey Guys....

Jason..

Forming synthetics can be as complicated or as easy as you want it..

Depending on how you want to mold will dictate the final product...

The info a Texas Supply... Throw it in the garbage and do it properly from the beginning...

First you will need a press of some type...

2-2X6" boards or even better 2X8's will work better..

Make sure they are flat,,no crowning..

Spray adhesive 2 layers each of blue sleeping pad foam onto each piece.

On the bottom mold screw 2 2"X2" feet to raise it off the bench.

You will need at least 3 LARGE C-clamps or pipe clamps.

One at each end, one in the middle. The more pressure you use, the better the outcome.

Secondly, you will need to tape your blade. 4-6 layers on each side,,depending..

The more layers of tape the more rattle you will get.The fewer layers, the more scratching will possibly happen.

I'd rather fit rattles than scratches...

Get a heat gun..

Keep you surfaces clean, knife clean and taped edges clean..

Get your clamps ready to go in open position..You don't want to waste valuable time opening them.

Depending on how you want to form, either pouch style or pancake (two piece) style...Truthfully, fold over or pouch is the easiest way to go...

Heat you plastic to touch,,use you hands with thin cotton gloves..

Keep testing the plastic to make sure it has the right amount of heat..

I do Everything by feel, and can tell if a certain area is not up to molding temp..

If you see white when you fold,, you've damaged the piece, throw it away.

When plastic is at temp, lay it on your mold, insert the knife fold it over and pull the knife spine into the fold while holding the open end.

Make sure to leave room for the tip.At least one inch.

You will also want to go once inch at least further than you want to go on the the knife handle. At least 1.5 inch more than the knife edge..

Fold the top mold over and hold it down as you tighten your clamps. Tighten the middle clamp first, then the end clamps... Tighten as much as you can...

This can be sometimes a two person job...Work Fast!!!

You can use a Quick Clamp in the middle to free up your hands, then go to town on the end clamps...

Wait at least 10 minutes, then remove your new sheath...

If you find finger imprints in the plastic,,reheat only the effeted area, and reclamp... If you find waves, your mold may be warping from the pressure, or you aren't using enough pressure.

I use custom made 2 ton presses, designed only for this type of work.. The more pressure you use, the crisper your lines will be.. Even steady downward pressure is the answer...

Now the adjustment phase will begin..

This is rather complicated and different on every single knife...

You have to understand where the kydex is locking the knife..Find this and adjust it, so the knife will go in and out as well as lock in place...

The area around the guard of the knife is the first place to start...

Again every knife is different,,and its nothing I can really explain,, it all comes with experience,,so you'll have to experiment a little...

This is the basics of sheathing...

Don't believe any of that rock the knife back and forth BS... Trust me, it'll look like shit, and fit even worse...

Have Phun..

Eric...