Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ki What Is It?
johnny gizzard

KI what is it?

Posted: 2/26/03 4:13 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT IS IT?

Potassium Iodide is the first "Radiation Protective" or Thyroid Blocking" agent to be sold directly to the general public. Its active ingredient, 130 mg. of potassium iodide (KI), gives virtually complete protection from the most feared consequence of a nuclear accident - a meltdown and release of radioactive iodine into the environment.

Radioactive iodine (primarily I-131) is a waste product of nuclear fission produced in reactors and bombs. Its potential impact on human health is staggering, and it could affect more people (perhaps far more people) than all other radioactive sources combined. US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) reports indicate that a major release could injure hundreds of thousands of people, and many believe that the government is underestimating the danger.

What makes I-131 so dangerous is that the body can not distinguish it from ordinary iodine. As a result, if it is accidentally swallowed (in contaminated food or water), or inhaled (it can remain in the atmosphere for days), it will be absorbed into the thyroid gland and will remain there long enough to slowly poison its victim. It can take 20 to 30 years, but eventually it can lead to cancer, thyroid damage, growth and birth defects, or death. Children, whose thyroids are especially active, are extremely susceptible to it.

But Potassium Iodide protects against radioactive iodine by preventing its absorption by the thyroid gland. Potassium Iodide saturates (blocks) the thyroid with stable iodine, "filling it to capacity". Once filled, the gland "turns off" its absorption mechanism, and it will remain off long enough for the radioactive iodine to disappear naturally. This method of protection is extremely safe and effective, and up to 99% of all radiation induced thyroid damage can be avoided by the use of Potassium Iodide.

The value of potassium iodide was demonstrated following the Chernobyl nuclear accident, where authorities began mass distribution (millions of doses) of KI just hours after the explosion. In the years following the accident in areas where people received the drug, the incidence of thyroid cancer has not increased. But where KI was not distributed, previously rare forms of juvenile thyroid cancer have begun appearing at epidemic rates, with over 11,000 cases reported by the year 2000.

But the radiation did not stop at the Soviet border. In Poland, 300 miles away, authorities watched as radioactive iodine levels began climbing. Soon, authorities felt they had no choice, and doctors ordered a protective dose for every child in the country. These efforts proved successful, and there has been no increase in thyroid cancer in Poland due to Chernobyl. Similar preventative measures took place in other areas throughout Europe, with similar success.

These programs succeeded because most European countries had long stockpiled KI for emergency use in the event of a nuclear accident or war. Planners, therefore, had access to the drug (which should be taken prior to exposure for maximum effectiveness) when it was needed. Unfortunately, similar mass stockpiles are not kept in the United States

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hind sight is an exact science until historians or politicians get involved.

Nothing is so simple that it can't be misunderstood.

I have regular bowel movements, I just wish they were voluntary...

My dad started walking five miles a day when he was 60. Now he's 91, and we don't know where he is.

Understand?
Hello Ron,

Do you know how long KI tablets will last? Is there point that the effectiveness is reduced due to age or improper storage.
The Lone Ranger's Creed (1933, GW Trendle, F. Striker )

"I believe...

That to have a friend, a man must be one.

That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there but that every man must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

That 'This government, of the people, by the people and for the people' shall live always.

That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

That sooner or later ... somewhere ... somehow ... we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.

In my Creator, my country, my fellow man."

You need this link, more info than you could ever know. [url="http://ki4u.com"]ki4u.com[/url]
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"