Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avatars, Profiles and Signatures
Bug 
I noticed that some of the profile data were lost in transition.  For instance, we all lost our avatars.  Some of the signature line formattings were changed (mine had a bunch of empty space lines in my signature).  I found the forum options up top where it says "User CP".

.png   Untitled.png (Size: 147.44 KB / Downloads: 8)

There we can access our profile options.

.png   Untitled2.png (Size: 132.76 KB / Downloads: 5)

So far I've had trouble with the Avatar.  It says:

"An avatar is a small identifying image shown under the author's name whenever they make a post.
The maximum dimensions for avatars are: 64x64 pixels.
The maximum file size for avatars is 50 KB."

I tried to use paint to make my image small enough but wasn't able to.  Does anyone know an easy way to do that?

Also, I noticed that my post count went from 1,811 on the old forum to 665 on the new forum.  What's up with that?  Feels like a loss of hard earned merit.

Please note that I'm not complaining!  Just trying to troubleshoot some things for everybody.

Mako

(P.S. Should I be worried that this post just put me at 666?)
"The first law...should be nailed on every cot. The first law. This world's job is to take everything from you. Yours is not to let it."   -Woman and Scarecrow

If I never had to use my intellect again, I wouldn't mind.

A real survival board game!?
sixmilehomestead.com
(09-07-2017, 02:58 AM)Mako Wrote: I tried to use paint to make my image small enough but wasn't able to.  Does anyone know an easy way to do that?

Also, I noticed that my post count went from 1,811 on the old forum to 665 on the new forum.  What's up with that?  Feels like a loss of hard earned merit.

You didn't say what operating system you use, but if you are on Windows a popular free image editor is IrfanView.  Among other things it will crop, resize and lower the file size of a number of different image formats.  I haven't used it in several years but apparently it is still one of the top freeware image editors for Windows.  If you are on Mac OS X, Preview will do what you need.

As to the post count, from my post in the "Announcements" forum:

Quote:-  Many old posts were dropped.  Time and people move on and a lot of the old stuff was way out of date.  This decision was not made lightly but the consensus was we need to move the forum forward.  Many posts were made in the wrong places or were transient in nature and it wasn't feasible to try to eliminate the junk and reorganize the rest.

We tried to limit the pruning to chit-chat type posts or outdated information, etc.  But there were so many posts it was not possible to go through and cherry pick individual posts so no doubt some good stuff was lost.  But the focus is intended to be on moving forward.  The reduction in post count affected everybody, including me, but the Member Titles were adjusted to reflect the new situation.  The old Q&A forum was not pruned and should still contain all posts related to the videos and related subjects.

Wally
Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most.
Cool, thank's WMerrin. I guess I did a lot of chit-chatting. :-)
"The first law...should be nailed on every cot. The first law. This world's job is to take everything from you. Yours is not to let it."   -Woman and Scarecrow

If I never had to use my intellect again, I wouldn't mind.

A real survival board game!?
sixmilehomestead.com
Everybody on any computer doing any graphics, stop what you are doing right now and go get a copy of The GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org

It's free, punches right up there with Adobe products, and is open source so you nerdier types can learn how to graphics program.
Welcome to the internet, you're probably taking it too seriously.

What you see is the result of the perspective you choose.

"Knowledge isn't wisdom unless it's empirical." - My own damn self.

Grand Rapids Michigan
Who was the guy that Ron used to have as his avatar? It looked like a mugshot. Thanks.
I do not remember the name, but it is actually half of a photo of two brothers, supposedly the result of inbreeding, standing together.

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

(10-02-2017, 04:08 PM)ddennis2 Wrote: I do not remember the name, but it is actually half of a photo of two brothers, supposedly the result of inbreeding, standing together.

DD

The photo was taken by a guy named Roger Ballen in South Africa. It's in a book of pictures called Platteland. The twins are named Dresie and Casie. The book was published in 1994. Willie's pic might even be in there!

Link

https://www.rogerballen.com/platteland/
Interesting.  Have also heard that those images have been attributed to backwoods Kentucky and the "closeness" of the family groups there.

Perhaps thatmckenzie or our other Kentucky denizens can shed some light on the veracity of that claim.... Tongue

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

(10-02-2017, 09:01 PM)ddennis2 Wrote: Interesting.  Have also heard that those images have been attributed to backwoods Kentucky and the "closeness" of the family groups there.

Perhaps thatmckenzie or our other Kentucky denizens can shed some light on the veracity of that claim.... Tongue

DD

there not from Kentucky, the twins have teeth.
Tryker

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

(10-02-2017, 09:01 PM)ddennis2 Wrote: Interesting.  Have also heard that those images have been attributed to backwoods Kentucky and the "closeness" of the family groups there.

Interesting, I had heard it was an old booking photo of a couple of murderers from Idaho.  I did a quick search and found this update with a more recent photo.

http://outlastrager.tumblr.com/post/8619...real-twins

Wally
Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most.
We don't believe in graven images here in Kentucky. We's good Christian folk.
Men are, that they might have joy.
The guys DD2 posted are the two brothers Dressie and Crassie one of which was Ron's avatar.
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
(10-04-2017, 05:33 PM)thatmckenzie Wrote: We don't believe in graven images here in Kentucky. We's good Christian folk.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  hahahah

letting them new fangled newspaper man take your picture is again't the teachin's of the good book...it'll steal yer soul!!!!

Plus as Tryker said--they have teeth....so...not from Kentucky.

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan