Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treking poles? Which Ones?
Last Christmas day, my back went out of whack. It will never be the same. I'm addicted to a Teeter Hang-up inversion table!  My real backpacking days are  over with. Only short trips. I am trying different things to adapt to my misfortune, like using a hiking cart and trekking poles. I've been a single walking stick guy all my life, but if trekking poles will help me adapt to my new limitations, I'm game for giving trekking poles a try!

My questions are: carbon or metal? Where to buy and which ones to buy? Comments, suggestions?
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
(09-16-2017, 02:37 AM)TN RIDGE ROVER Wrote: Last Christmas day, my back went out of whack. It will never be the same. I'm addicted to a Teeter Hang-up inversion table!  My real backpacking days are  over with. Only short trips. I am trying different things to adapt to my misfortune, like using a hiking cart and trekking poles. I've been a single walking stick guy all my life, but if trekking poles will help me adapt to my new limitations, I'm game for giving trekking poles a try!

My questions are: carbon or metal? Where to buy and which ones to buy? Comments, suggestions?

This link provides a nice overview: https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-trekking-poles

As in all things, you get what you pay for. Black Diamond has served me well, but I've needed them to double down to ski with.  There is no doubt you'll get some extra miles out of your body by using them. I've lost count how many times they have saved my knees on steep downhills. 

Think out of the box on how to use them too. Shelters and improvised shooting are just scratching the surface!

Hope they help you get outside to have some fun!

Best,
KS
"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd rather have 10 seconds in the saddle than a lifetime of watching from the stands." Chris LeDoux
my whole body is shot to hell. bad knees,arthritus in my hands along with carpul tunnel, and my back a bit out of whack. i oppted for a polaris atv to get me back  out there.
Tryker

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

Great link Kodiak! Liked the other gear info also.

Tryker. we just do what we have to do to get out doors, no matter what the challenges.

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

I've got a pair like the 3rd ones in the link Kodiak provided, the Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork. They're aluminum and have the "flick lock" system of locking in the length adjustment. This is suppose to be better than the older twist locking system. They do not have shock absorbing tips, which I didn't want.

I've had these poles for several years and used them quite a bit. I haven't had any trouble with them. The only issue is that, although they came with removable snow baskets, the hand straps do not adjust to a large enough loop to fit my hands with winter gloves. So I haven't been able to use them snow shoeing, which was kind of a bummer to discover.

I never used any hiking stick or poles until a few years ago when I had inner thigh/groin pain. I thought using the poles along with shorter strides might help me. They may have helped, but I'm not really 100% sure. Now that pain is all but gone, so I can take or leave the hiking poles. I just used them today on a four-hour day hike and I think they were worthwhile on that trail.

I hope they can help you with your back pain on the trail, TNRR. My lower back is messed up some also, but not as bad as yours. 

I find pros and cons to using the poles. They do help with balance over some terrain. Although I can't say I really notice it, they are probably reducing stress on my knees going downhill. On the con side, every now and then the tip of one gets stuck in a crevice between rock or punches through the crust of soft soil and gets stuck, which causes an annoying break in my stride. Another annoying break in stride is when you're on a narrow trail and the pole you're swinging forward drags on a rock or brush. It's just a matter of getting used to them I guess, to avoid those problems, but I'm a slow learner.

Good luck; I hope you can get out on trail some.

---George
A couple other tips regarding the use of trekking poles:

One, place multiple wraps of duck tape about halfway down. This gives you a place to grab when you are side-hilling and it keeps you from being pushed downhill. It also allows you to keep your hand closer to your heart which keeps better blood flow and keeps the digits from freezing. Obviously, a cold weather thing.

Two, this makes for handy storage of duck tape and is easy to grab and use.

Three, when you place your hands through the wrist loops, let the webbing ride between your thumb and index finger. You don't need to use your grip and your hands will stay warmer and you can push down on the webbing on steep uphill climbs and use your triceps and shoulders more.

Alas, they are not as quick as an ATV, but they do serve a purpose!

Best,
KS
"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd rather have 10 seconds in the saddle than a lifetime of watching from the stands." Chris LeDoux
Thank you all! I need to order poles no later than Oct 1st. Vacation starts middle of Oct. I hate using precious vacation time to prep for vacation!

Many years ago, I went through a number of long conversations with Kodiaksurvival and Muddy Boots.  One of them was on winter clothing, and it was a great education.

As for trekking poles, Muddy Boots recommended the following Black Diamond poles at the time.   I suspect there are newer poles with better technology, but I'd be darned if I would be able to tell the difference from descriptions.   Smile 

I got this feeling that the differences are slight, I'd read reviews and customer comments to be sure to get ones that handle the abuse.

Ron once told me he had absolutely destroyed ski poles in the wilderness, but he wasn't what you call a dainty kinda guy....   Tongue 

Black Diamond Traverse Poles

I'm still checking on different poles, but do youse guys think carbon fiber is not the way to go? 

At first, I thought it was, but now I'm thinking aluminum is the way to go because of pole strength.

Here is a cheaper pair that shows some promise, but unsure bout the durability of the cork handles.   
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01D0FNAWQ/_...0OYH2EHJXK

(09-27-2017, 12:56 PM)Tn Ridge Rover Wrote: I'm still checking on different poles, but do youse guys think carbon fiber is not the way to go? 

At first, I thought it was, but now I'm thinking aluminum is the way to go because of pole strength.

Here is a cheaper pair that shows some promise, but unsure bout the durability of the cork handles.   
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01D0FNAWQ/_...0OYH2EHJXK

My poles are aluminum. They have been plenty durable. I've never used carbon fiber poles, so I can't say how they compare, but I would expect them to be durable also.

My poles have cork handgrips. The cork has held up fine; no issues. I find the cork grips comfortable enough. 

Of course, I can't vouch for the ones on Amazon that you linked to, TNRR, since they're a different brand. Hopefully those are well made. 

---George
I just got a 40% discount coupon at REI and I need a Thermarest too! I will look more into that!