Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Compass REVERSED?
Hi guys, I am blue  Huh my dang gear is malfunctioning (Ive had some great trips this year and will be posting about them, except, found out that my pricey new MSR gravity filter has been malfunctioning and I have been poisoning myself and all my friends with poorly treated water--myself I dont care but I am soooo angry at the company for building trust and then having me poison my loved ones--will post on this issue once I get an answer from MSR) but one issue at a time here.

check it out

my favorite compass....my only compass...it was a gift from our late Hoodlum 90 North and it has incredible sentimental value...it has saved my ass so many times...the leather around the compass and sheath and knife set (Theophilus now has the knife) was made by a former hoodlum J. Meaux I think.... I mean its only a material thing...so its not a big deal, just makes me sad is all.

anyways 90 North gave it to me and said it guided him on many adventures and it would do the same for me and it has, brought me out of a "lost my way, got turned around, alone at night, in the deep dark woods" scenario at least 3 times....

the last time I navigated by this compass (successfully) was in June.

Sometime between July and last weekend, my compass reversed...almost got me in trouble on a night hike to camp up on a mountain last weekend but I started to get this weird feeling that something was not right about my bearing and spoke with Joe and he's like HELL NO thats not right at all, the river is South...good thing I didn't just blindly follow it--Joe, Aaron and I were (yet again) foolishly hiking in the dark, to a spot we saw on Google Earth, and heard about by word of mouth...I KNOW 100% the portage trail runs West to East, North is civilization and South is towards the river and deeper bush.....

Compass said the river was North and we were heading West but we knew we needed to be heading South East...so we found the big dipper and the North star and it was exactly opposite of North on the compass, our suspicions confirmed we quickly opened Aarons phone to the virtual GPS and aha North was in line with Polaris, it was exact opposite of what my compass said...my compass says North is South and South is North and West is East and East is West..

Check this out--the button compass on the black bag says the right bearing...North my front door--towards Quebec, South--my back door towards South Keys shopping center.... the tan compass is reversed.

.jpg   DSCF9647.JPG (Size: 8.04 MB / Downloads: 15)  

wtf?

de magnetization by going inside a store?

broken?

why  Sad

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Holy moly, AOC. Good thing you questioned the compass and were able to verify it was wrong. I've got no idea what would make it reverse like that.

---George
(09-24-2017, 06:35 PM)george of the J Wrote: Holy moly, AOC. Good thing you questioned the compass and were able to verify it was wrong. I've got no idea what would make it reverse like that.

---George

Hey thanks George! If this would have been a serious trip, where I was unfamiliar with the landscape, or it was REALLY the middle of no where, then I would have taken a second compass reading from a different person in the group before heading out on the path....

this area I know like the back of my hand, but it is tricky, there are numerous trails that lead off into the middle of no where, no cell service and no houses---but its no more than a day and a half travel in any direction to find help at a hunt camp or store.

Just really un expected, never seen or heard of a compass reverse....am wondering if I can rely on it still, Big Grin but just switch the directions....but I dont know if I am going to find one day that it has reversed in a different manor...so I will probably keep it just for kicks, but get a new one. Its no longer safe or reliable.
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Take the metal clip off and get it away form any metal and check again. If it is burggered I would guess a speaker got it. Car speaker, phone speaker, Government entity.  You can change it back with a rare earth magnet (neodymium). Stroke the South end of the magnet along the North arrow.  Hope it works.
remember what the Dormouse said

"Learn from others mistakes. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt
AOC, you're in luck!  I rang up Unkle Bill and he had the answer!  He sez:  "Google dat shit, mama!"   Cool

Well I did that and there is enough info to indicate this is not an unusual occurrence.  Here is one short article that gives you some ideas:

https://lotsafreshair.com/2012/11/07/pol...es-go-bad/

So that search and read a bunch of articles...

The best option is to send it to the maker if you can.  Apparently Silva will do the reset on their compasses for free.  You can contact Silva and see if they will do it even if it's not a Silva compass...  Being as it has sentimental value, it would be worth it to pay for the service.  A Google search may find other people who will do the reset...

Next option is to recharge the needle yourself.  It's only a magnet!

Hey thanks for the research Unkle Bill, I did a google search before hand and read reasons why that might have happened ( exposure to a strong magnet, tv, speakers, transformer) but I just cant see where I could have contacted one of those!!???

strange times.

I will have it fixed!

Thank you kindly   Wink

AOC

(09-24-2017, 07:59 PM)caver56 Wrote: Take the metal clip off and get it away form any metal and check again. If it is burggered I would guess a speaker got it. Car speaker, phone speaker, Government entity.  You can change it back with a rare earth magnet (neodymium). Stroke the South end of the magnet along the North arrow.  Hope it works.

The metal clip cannot be removed without cutting the leather hole, but it is aluminum so I dont think it would interfere, it never did before.....I had thought about my knife, thats why when I take my bearings, I remove the compass from my body, take off my bag and knife and put them far away, place compass on the ground and stand back and look at it...and then I get Joe to look too....

This incident just really shook my faith in compasses.....hahahaha

If I can open it without breaking it, Ill do what u say about Southward stroking, if not Ill have a company fix it....

goddamn gubment entities, always tryin' to assassinate me   Big Grin

AOC

(09-24-2017, 08:10 PM)Bill Hay Wrote: AOC, you're in luck!  I rang up Unkle Bill and he had the answer!  He sez:  "Google dat shit, mama!"   Cool

Well I did that and there is enough info to indicate this is not an unusual occurrence.  Here is one short article that gives you some ideas:

https://lotsafreshair.com/2012/11/07/pol...es-go-bad/

So that search and read a bunch of articles...

The best option is to send it to the maker if you can.  Apparently Silva will do the reset on their compasses for free.  You can contact Silva and see if they will do it even if it's not a Silva compass...  Being as it has sentimental value, it would be worth it to pay for the service.  A Google search may find other people who will do the reset...

Next option is to recharge the needle yourself.  It's only a magnet!

Ok and another thing the gal in this article brings up a great point, she sends her compass back to Silva in Sweeden to be fixed, via air mail no doubt....and its just no guarantee, if this can happen at one time, then it may happen at ANY time

" I can’t help but think about all the magnetic fields in the aircraft and postal sorting machines between here and Sweden though!"

she says Silva mentions in their manual, that the compass must be verified before EVERY use to ensure it hasnt gone thru a polarization...but what if it goes thru a polarization while you are out in the woods, or after you have checked its accuracy, say while you are in your car on the way to your destination...scary shit

I guess that's why Unkle Bill and many others always push the mantra of--- situational awareness !!!!!!!! Cant beat common sense eh?

still faith in compasses has been shaken, especially since I find out its common, although its never happened to me or anyone else I know. Id be interested to know how this happened to mine and why it never happened before.

AOC

Quote:I guess that's why Unkle Bill and many others always push the mantra of--- situational awareness

And...  Backups!  Which you had covered quite well...  Good on you.

Quote: ( exposure to a strong magnet, tv, speakers, transformer) but I just cant see where I could have contacted one of those!!???

Musta been you, gurl...   Youze a dude magnet!  Har!!

(09-24-2017, 11:03 PM)Bill Hay Wrote:
Quote:I guess that's why Unkle Bill and many others always push the mantra of--- situational awareness

And...  Backups!  Which you had covered quite well...  Good on you.

Quote: ( exposure to a strong magnet, tv, speakers, transformer) but I just cant see where I could have contacted one of those!!???

Musta been you, gurl...   Youze a dude magnet!  Har!!

Thanks, Big Grin back-ups upon back-ups....

and well if you insist......

curse this pretty face!!!!!!!!!

It'll be the death of me.

AOC

Well hell... Everybody is going to die, you might as well die looking good!

AOC I dont want t say its aliens...but its aliens.
Live with honor, ride with truth.  Be friendly to others.  But always carry a gun on your side and a knife in your boot because there are those that do not feel the same as this.

(09-25-2017, 06:13 PM)Kid Couteau Wrote: AOC I dont want t say its aliens...but its aliens.

Big Grin I thought they came in peace.

Kid.....nothing would surprise me anymore.

Nothing.

(09-25-2017, 06:13 PM)Kid Couteau Wrote: AOC I dont want t say its aliens...but its aliens.

Tongue Tongue Tongue

YA MEAN IT WAS THEM MEXECANS !!!
Tryker

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???