Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review: Fiskars Brush Axe
I got this on clearance at Walmart for $10.00 very late in our woods clearing job, so it did not get as much work as the others.  Well, it did get more work than the SOG Hand Axe because that chipped after maybe 5 chops.

I think this would have been more useful at the beginning of the job when there was more brush and softer vegetation to cut, but it did a good job on the brush I used it for. 

This is basically a single-edged brush axe blade on a Fiskars hatchet handle.  There are some advantages with a single-handed brush axe over a full-sized one, but it won't replace the full-sized brush axe.

There is no sheath, just a plastic safety cover like with the other Fiskars axes.

So far I've had no problems, but then the blade still looks new and barely used.  I'll find out more next spring when it should get more use.

I think this is a good tool for working in the yard if you have woods or heavy brush.  I wouldn't put it in a survival kit in place of an axe or machete.

Maybe if one was around the less cowardly among the sheeple, the colors and look might make it look more like a garden tool than a "tactical weapon."
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
Thumbs Up 
Ben I have had one several years now and find it a very useful tool about the property.  Mine remained sharp for a many years, but it does need to be sharpened now or replaced.  I would like to find a couple of them on clearance.  One for a Hamilton is a great purchase.
Jimbo
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatrotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(09-28-2017, 10:40 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Ben I have had one several years now and find it a very useful tool about the property.  Mine remained sharp for a many years, but it does need to be sharpened now or replaced.  I would like to find a couple of them on clearance.  One for a Hamilton is a great purchase.

I bought a couple on clearance several years ago for my son and I. They have seen a lot of use and work well for clearing brush or delimbing. I, too, highly recommend them!
Plainsman Smile

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

Plainsman's Cabin Forums

http://plainsmanscabin.yuku.com

Plainsman's Cabin Homepage

http://www.stormloader.com/plainsman/Pla...Cabin.html
A few days after my post my dad showed me the one he purchased, the last one at the Walmart near him.

He paid $5.00 for his.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
I love bill hooks. I've cleared too many hillsides and creekbanks not to appreciate them the same way our ancestors did. I keep pondering making one.
Men are, that they might have joy.
The Gerber Brush Thinner is virtually identical except the handle is all black.  (The Fiskars orange on the handles end helps locate it in the woods if one lays it down while working.)  I also have one of the Gerbers and it is equally tough & sharp.   However I made the mistake of purchasing one of the Gerber's "Gator" Brush Thinner which appears to have the same cutting blade, but the handle on the "Gator" is solid and that solid handle on mine broke on about the second or third swing I made with it.  Needless to say, the "Gator" is NOT something I could or would recommend to anyone!

Actually Gerber Legendary Blades is a division of the Fiskars Brands, Inc.
Jimbo
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatrotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
I've purchased a couple, myself. It is my wife's most favored yard implement. Actually used one to dissect a Bradford pear tree that fell in our yard, during a windstorm. It did champion service. HTH.

Bart
Got Steel?

Remember: It's all fun and games 'til some asshole breaks out a clown mask and a baseball bat.