Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaf Spring Tracker
I thought some of you guys might be interested in seeing a knife I made.  I built this tracker last year out of a leaf spring using mostly files.  The leaf spring came from a truck in a junk yard.  I annealed it in a charcoal grill in the backyard, shaped it, sharpened it, and sent it off to Peters for heat treat.  It has served me well over the past year. The knife holds an edge very well, chops great for it's size, and is built like a tank.  The handle is a simple mule tape wrap with bank line over-wrap.

[Image: ZxtBWTY.jpg]
[Image: Wo5InUv.jpg]
[Image: IlahZEf.jpg]
[Image: Fh7p0yK.jpg]
[Image: pX8MDv8.jpg]

Test run.  I got the quarter round right.  It makes super thin draw-curls which light with a ferro rod spark in wet weather.

[Image: afP7O4b.jpg]

Used it to make an awl as a companion tool.

[Image: wLAqIsW.jpg]
[Image: 53VNaaD.jpg]

Some other stuff I've done with the tracker.

Made a sheath

[Image: 2BKVipl.jpg]
[Image: DLbwSIO.jpg]
[Image: X7L2oWb.jpg]

Made a hasty bucksaw in the field. (the tracker is best paired with a smaller knife for fine carving)

[Image: zVdR1OF.jpg]
[Image: 3WwsrBW.jpg]

Split a long log as a skill test.

[Image: n3b8Gdd.jpg]
[Image: 5OoqjxG.jpg]
[Image: hxlo1R5.jpg]

Made a nightstand on a hammock camping trip

[Image: Wk73pQJ.jpg]
Well done.  That knife looks like it would get you through some hard times out in the boonies.

L.W.
"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, captain, clipper ship, 1830s.)
nice job, cleaver idea on the dovetail.
Tryker

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

Very cool! love to see a well used knife!

WFW
Flunkis Moritani - When in doubt - Play dead  - Red Green
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
Ya, that is one FINE home-made blade (and sheath) beauuty!!! Big Grin  Cool

you sure are talented...have you made many blades before this one?

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Glad it worked out for you. Even more glad that you took pictures and shared them. Smile
Men are, that they might have joy.
That's a nice knife.

Of course there are numerous people who will say that those pics are fake since a Tracker couldn't possibly work. Big Grin
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
(10-14-2017, 09:53 PM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: That's a nice knife.

Of course there are numerous people who will say that those pics are fake since a Tracker couldn't possibly work. Big Grin

Hey! I kept my judgement *inside* this time!

I was surprised, yes, but I have no reason to believe those photos were doctored. :Thumbsup:
Men are, that they might have joy.
Thanks for all the replies!

(10-14-2017, 01:03 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: Ya, that is one FINE home-made blade (and sheath) beauuty!!! Big Grin  Cool
AOC

This is the first knife I made.

(10-15-2017, 03:01 AM)thatmckenzie Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 09:53 PM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: That's a nice knife.

Hey! I kept my judgement *inside* this time!

I was surprised, yes, but I have no reason to believe those photos were doctored. :Thumbsup:

I wont claim that the tracker is the perfect one-tool option or the best do everything blade or anything like that. It is a useful tool though if you learn the neat techniques which bring out it's strong points.
(10-16-2017, 01:08 AM)Dashing Wrote: Thanks for all the replies!

(10-14-2017, 01:03 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: Ya, that is one FINE home-made blade (and sheath) beauuty!!! Big Grin  Cool
AOC

This is the first knife I made.

WOW! Impressive for sure....I can hardly believe it is your first one! Cool  sweet.

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
That knife looks familiar...

It looks great!
{  "Trust in Jesus but carry a sixgun in the bathroom."€  Phantom  }
Thumbs Up 
Simple is and simple does    Plus yea made it yourself   and yea know how to work it's all good!
Good job with the knife even if I'm not a Tracker fan.

Ya did give me good, new info when I studied your bucksaw!
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
Ok OKKKK Blush

excuse me for being the ignoramus....I have only been here 3 years....

is there an inside joke going on that I don't know about tracker style knives??

wont someone enlighten me? I want to be in on it......

does this have something to do with Tom Brown Jr??? hahah Big Grin

AOC

I had the opportunity to paw THAT knife briefly last year. It feels great in hand and has an excellent grind that looks like it can actually slice tomatos.

What struck me immediately was the tang was as long as the blade. That permits blade-heavy weight distribution for effective chopping by holding at the hilt while still keeping the whole instrument lightweight and still allows choking up to the blade near its COM for fine stuff.
{  "Trust in Jesus but carry a sixgun in the bathroom."€  Phantom  }