Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaf Spring Tracker
(10-20-2017, 01:12 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: Ok OKKKK Blush

excuse me for being the ignoramus....I have only been here 3 years....

is there an inside joke going on that I don't know about tracker style knives??

wont someone enlighten me? I want to be in on it......

does this have something to do with Tom Brown Jr??? hahah Big Grin

AOC

There are a whole bunch of different feelings that people have about Tracker or WSK style knives. There is also some controversy over who actually invented the design.

Some tracker fans preach that it is the only knife you'd ever need. That lights a fire under some others who disagree strongly.

Add the fact that a tracker or WSK style knife was featured in the 2003 Hollywood film "The Hunted" and everybody goes nuts. It has been called a gimmicky movie prop among other things.

I personally don't get into any of the discussions. I have used more knives than I can count. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. In my experience, the tracker/WSK style knife has its merits and can be an incredibly useful tool, in the right hands, for the right jobs.

I love mine because it is the first knife I've ever made and I am happy with the way it came out. I put a LOT of thought into the dimensions, angles, etc., based on how I planned to use it. It was built for my hand. I enjoy using the features of the knife where they excel but I'd never hesitate to reach for a different knife when I needed it.

(10-20-2017, 02:11 PM)alukban Wrote: I had the opportunity to paw THAT knife briefly last year. It feels great in hand and has an excellent grind that looks like it can actually slice tomatos.

What struck me immediately was the tang was as long as the blade. That permits blade-heavy weight distribution for effective chopping by holding at the hilt while still keeping the whole instrument lightweight and still allows choking up to the blade near its COM for fine stuff.

I appreciate the kind words and positive feedback. It's nice to know that someone else who has held the knife can confirm that it didn't come out like crap, hahaha.
The controversy is just as much about the knife as the inventor. Some are in both camps as I am. There are some interesting redesigns/mods of that knife where a personal touch has added to the function of the tool, as you have done. Still, there are some who prefer a more traditional design. To each his own. No controversy, just debate.
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
My joke had nothing to do with the legitimate controversy on this forum.

People on this forum use their knives and are open to what works.

I've personally criticized the weight and balance of the original TOPS Tracker, but know that TOPS makes high quality knives so it would still be able to cut and chop.

It was more to do with those on other forums and Youtube who make moronic statements about this and other knives and attribute idiotic motivations to those who use them.

One example is a video by a popular knife reviewer who claimed that it was marketed as a fighting knife (it wasn't) with the only real evidence being the movie and that it wasn't a good fighting knife and therefore junk. I'll agree that it is not a knife I'd choose for defense (or survival ) but I could use it as a weapon if I needed to, and it would be better than most tactical folders, and I could use it as a survival knife as well. This ties in to the popular but moronic belief that the knife is popular because people want to fight like the character in the movie. It was debated on this forum before the movie was released and was popular with Tom Brown fans before that (well, the Beck version) and most of what I see from people who own or want the knife is curiosity regarding another "do everything" knife.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
(10-20-2017, 07:32 PM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: My joke had nothing to do with the legitimate controversy on this forum.  

I've personally criticized the weight and balance of the original TOPS Tracker, but know that TOPS makes high quality knives so it would still be able to cut and chop.

It was more to do with those on other forums and Youtube who make moronic statements about this and other knives and attribute idiotic motivations to those who use them.

One example is a video by a popular knife reviewer who claimed that it was marketed as a fighting knife (it wasn't) with the only real evidence being the movie and that it wasn't a good fighting knife and therefore junk.  I'll agree that it is not a knife I'd choose for defense (or survival ) but I could use it as a weapon if I needed to, and it would be better than most tactical folders, and I could use it as a survival knife as well.  This ties in to the popular but moronic belief that the knife is popular because people want to fight like the character in the movie.  It was debated on this forum before the movie was released and was popular with Tom Brown fans before that (well, the Beck version) and most of what I see from people who own or want the knife is curiosity regarding another "do everything" knife.

I knew you were just joking. My response wasn't in reference to anything you said. I was just trying to give AOC some context to why we were all joking about trackers. 

I like the knife and have fun using it but it would never be important enough to me that I would get in a disagreement with you guys about it.
(10-21-2017, 02:21 AM)Dashing Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 07:32 PM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: My joke had nothing to do with the legitimate controversy on this forum.  

One example is a video by a popular knife reviewer who claimed that it was marketed as a fighting knife (it wasn't) with the only real evidence being the movie and that it wasn't a good fighting knife and therefore junk.  I'll agree that it is not a knife I'd choose for defense (or survival ) but I could use it as a weapon if I needed to, and it would be better than most tactical folders, and I could use it as a survival knife as well.  This ties in to the popular but moronic belief that the knife is popular because people want to fight like the character in the movie.  It was debated on this forum before the movie was released and was popular with Tom Brown fans before that (well, the Beck version) and most of what I see from people who own or want the knife is curiosity regarding another "do everything" knife.

I knew you were just joking. My response wasn't in reference to anything you said. I was just trying to give AOC some context to why we were all joking about trackers. 

I like the knife and have fun using it but it would never be important enough to me that I would get in a disagreement with you guys about it.

Great! thanks TNRR, Alukban, Dashing and Ben...

I appreciate the back story and info...and I am aware of these knife reviewers that claim their blade is a one stop shop for everything...hahahah and will make you into Rambo or something...

and I knew it had to have something to do with T.B.J. hee hee

Big Grin  you all are awesome!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Dashing, disagreements are welcome here. Too bad it can't be like my family get togethers as a kid where family would fight and cuss over college football and all say "Grace" at the dinner table. After dinner, the fun would begin with football on TV!
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
AOC:

The Tracker is designed...it is believed...by TBJ and because of certain things he has said which are believed to be myth such as the Apache, "Grandfather" his credibility has come into question. Apache is a Navajo word meaning enemy and Grandfather if he were an actual person would have referred to himself as Dine pronounced din-ay or as Mescalero, Tonto etc.
TBJ's friend "grandfather's" grandson was reported to have enlisted in a branch of the military and no records have been found by persons searching to establish TBJ's credibility or lack of it. I am not one of those people. If he wants that story-line I am fine with it; we only have so much time on this planet so I believe in living it on your own terms. Grey Owl is another example he marketed himself as a half Scot/ half Apache and look at all the good he did, he was from Hastings, England.
The knife itself was to be a general purpose do it all, hatchet, saw, skinner, drawknife and as with all multi-task tools, it does work after a fashion but doesn't do the job as well as specialized tools. It was not designed as a combat knife but rather as an aid to bushcrafting. 
TBJ aside, the tool meets some people's criteria for a valuable tool and for others it does not.
Celebrate the differences, this place would be pretty darned quiet if we all had a Mora, a hatchet and a silky saw.
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
A Silky Saw!!!   Them are fighting words.

The knife looks interesting but it cuts the cutting edge in half giving you two too short cutting edges.
remember what the Dormouse said

"Learn from others mistakes. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt
(10-25-2017, 08:36 PM)caver56 Wrote: A Silky Saw!!!   Them are fighting words.

The knife looks interesting but it cuts the cutting edge in half giving you two too short cutting edges.

The interruption between the cutting edges is definitely a drawback. Fortunately, the "quarter round" adds a ton of usefulness. I have a couple designs on the drawing board which relocates the quarter round and keeps one uninterrupted cutting edge. I think that would make the tool more useful (but get me excommunicated fron the church of the tracker.)

Don't tell anybody but my go-to saw is a Corona from Home Depot
I did something like that by modifying an old cleaver.  Rounding off the front to get the quarter round.  An easy modification with a grinder.  Don't know where that old tool is at the moment, so no picture.
Howard Wallace
(10-25-2017, 06:02 PM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: AOC:

The Tracker is designed...it is believed...by TBJ and because of certain things he has said which are believed to be myth such as the Apache, "Grandfather" his credibility has come into question. Apache is a Navajo word meaning enemy and Grandfather if he were an actual person would have referred to himself as Dine pronounced din-ay or as Mescalero, Tonto etc.
TBJ's friend "grandfather's" grandson was reported to have enlisted in a branch of the military and no records have been found by persons searching to establish TBJ's credibility or lack of it. I am not one of those people. If he wants that story-line I am fine with it; we only have so much time on this planet so I believe in living it on your own terms. Grey Owl is another example he marketed himself as a half Scot/ half Apache and look at all the good he did, he was from Hastings, England.
The knife itself was to be a general purpose do it all, hatchet, saw, skinner, drawknife and as with all multi-task tools, it does work after a fashion but doesn't do the job as well as specialized tools. It was not designed as a combat knife but rather as an aid to bushcrafting. 
TBJ aside, the tool meets some people's criteria for a valuable tool and for others it does not.
Celebrate the differences, this place would be pretty darned quiet if we all had a Mora, a hatchet and a silky saw.

Big Grin Cool

Good god Dave, you got such a way with words...

Perfectly understood...I am SOOO glad we don't ALL have mora's, hatchets and silky saw's....I LOVE variety--healthy debates and comparisons...and opinions...

my personality type is called ENTP or ENTJ (either the debater or the commander) so I love discussions and to play devils advocate....

I have heard of this Grey Owl character...oh that's right in the canoe book you gave me!!!!!!!!!! Even though he lied--he did great things!!

and TBJ well I think he's possibly a whacko but I'll never know for sure--because as you said life's too short to investigate these things--- that's cool ---as you said variety is the spice of life--- and I'm sure some folks would call me a goddamn whacko --if I told them what I've seen in my life...and I know I am not a whacko... Rolleyes

these types of tools can be very valuable when you cant carry all sorts of tools...kind of like Joe...he is a jack of all trades master of none...but it sure is handy to have him around when your exhaust falls off, your computer gets a virus, your gun gets jammed, you need your finger nails painted, you need a new roof, toilets clogged, you need your shirt (or body) stitched up....I could go on and on...but where there is no make up artist, plumber, mechanic, electrician, computer programmer, roofer, gun smith, tailor, doctor--Joe can serve all those functions in a pinch--in a way Joe is like a trapper knife!!!!!!!!!!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan