Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bannock
I'm sure you've all heard of bannock.  I just used the standard recipe here, but added white chocolate chips and craizens.  

I let my little fire burn down a bit and got a nice coal bed before starting to cook the bannock.  Hardwood obviously works better than pine for a good bed of coals.

I cut up a used pie tin to use as the baking tray and to space the tray from the bottom of my pot so I got a more uniform baking oven type of effect.

[Image: sJGeDdj.jpg]
[Image: BvY09tZ.jpg]
[Image: 5jDhfMD.jpg]
[Image: qXnI9uB.jpg]
[Image: tlP5ber.jpg]
[Image: pEuyVUh.jpg]
[Image: F7ba09d.jpg]
[Image: Lm7cj79.jpg]
mmmmmmmmmmmm Big Grin it looks like it turned out amazing!!!!!!! Totally golden brown on the outside and fluffy on the inside!!

smart method with the coals on top and bottom! YOU MAKING ME HUNGRY.

"babe--baebeeeeeeey dont panic.........I know how to cook bannock!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-flBCsSHxlQ

-Mountain man song

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(10-13-2017, 04:28 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: "babe--baebeeeeeeey dont panic.........I know how to cook bannock!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-flBCsSHxlQ

-Mountain man song

AOC

Haha I'd never seen that.
yummy, add a splash or more of maple syrup on top

That looks much better than any bannock I have ever prepared.  Well cooked!

Have you ever succeeded with ash cakes?
"The first law...should be nailed on every cot. The first law. This world's job is to take everything from you. Yours is not to let it."   -Woman and Scarecrow

If I never had to use my intellect again, I wouldn't mind.

A real survival board game!?
sixmilehomestead.com
(10-15-2017, 01:12 PM)Mako Wrote: That looks much better than any bannock I have ever prepared.  Well cooked!

Have you ever succeeded with ash cakes?

I've never tried ash cakes.  Have you made them?  I'd love to learn how.
Honestly, I've never had them come out.  Now I've had them cooked well, but couldn't repeat it.  You mix ash in with the flour.  Not even sure what reason anymore.  Anyways, mine were always gritty.
"The first law...should be nailed on every cot. The first law. This world's job is to take everything from you. Yours is not to let it."   -Woman and Scarecrow

If I never had to use my intellect again, I wouldn't mind.

A real survival board game!?
sixmilehomestead.com
the ash cakes I'm familiar with is simply flattened bread dough cooked on hot ashes. I have never added ash to the dough.

Thanks for sharing, Bannock is always dear to a Hoodlum's heart.
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
(10-16-2017, 01:25 AM)Mako Wrote: Honestly, I've never had them come out.  Now I've had them cooked well, but couldn't repeat it.  You mix ash in with the flour.  Not even sure what reason anymore.  Anyways, mine were always gritty.

The reason I believe is that the white of wood ash contains potassium acts as a leavening agent ...when combined with acid? This is surely a comment for our beloved Hoodlum chemist Mack to answer if he sees it--- but this guy on this site explains it ok.

check it out   http://beforeitsnews.com/self-sufficienc...99738.html

"When my ash water/vinegar experiments were a bust , I felt like I was at a crossroads. I could continue researching the chemistry of the process, or I could get on with my baking experiments. I opted to do some baking!
In preparing the ash water for baking I made a few changes from the way I did my test batches. This time I increased the amount of ashes to make a 1:1 solution of equal parts hardwood ashes and water. Also, I followed Jake and Farmer Liz's suggestions to use hot water. According to The Caveman Chemist hot water should extract about 225% more potassium carbonate from the ashes (which is what causes the leavening action by reacting with the acid to make carbon dioxide bubbles). I let the solution sit overnight and then strained out the ashes the following morning....."

(10-16-2017, 01:35 AM)randyt Wrote: the ash cakes I'm familiar with is simply flattened bread dough cooked on hot ashes. I have never added ash to the dough.

I know I heard about ash cakes and that funny drink (ephedra tea) through L.D.O's book.....but I cant remember if he just laid them on the hot ashes or actually mixed in ashes with them.... Tongue  I betcha its better without the ashes in them....maybe that's why mine tasted sooooo nasty.

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Grizzled Dave, a fine person and an even better Canadian, has a wonderful recipe for bannock that he shared with me many years ago. It is, and has been my go to bannock recipe for quite some time.

Perhaps he will share it here. (Grizz, it is the Irene Ducoine recipe.)

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

(10-16-2017, 06:28 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 01:35 AM)randyt Wrote: the ash cakes I'm familiar with is simply flattened bread dough cooked on hot ashes. I have never added ash to the dough.

I know I heard about ash cakes and that funny drink (ephedra tea) through L.D.O's book.....but I cant remember if he just laid them on the hot ashes or actually mixed in ashes with them.... Tongue  I betcha its better without the ashes in them....maybe that's why mine tasted sooooo nasty.

AOC

who is L.D.O. ? and where do I get the book? sounds interesting. I think there may be a terminology mix up, I think using ashes for leavening and ash cakes are two separate ideas.

(10-16-2017, 11:41 PM)randyt Wrote:

AOC

who is L.D.O. ? and where do I get the book? sounds interesting. I think there may be a terminology mix up, I think using ashes for leavening and ash cakes are two separate ideas.

Larry Dean Olsen...

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Survival-...ref=sr_1_1

Wally
Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most.
(10-17-2017, 02:09 AM)wmerrin Wrote:

AOC

Larry Dean Olsen...

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Survival-...ref=sr_1_1

Wally

Ordered.  Thanks Wally

AOC

Big Grin  oh sorry--haha Larry Dean Olsen and its a very famous bush craft book called "Outdoor Survival Skills" with the foreword by Robert Redford...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1776...val_Skills

yes but I remember in the book he calls them "ash cakes" and I believe it might be just as you said --just laid raw dough on the ashes and coals... although maybe he mentions some people using ashes and vinegar to leaven dough...that's where I first heard the term "ash cake"

AOC