Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forged my first knives
I attended a great class called "Intro to the Forged Blade" this weekend and forged my first knives.  This experience was a blast, I learned a ton, and I can definitely see myself trying to learn more and forge more knives in the future.

My work was obviously beginner quality, so nothing special or terrific, but I figured I'd share.

[Image: ZgPlCA2.jpg]
[Image: vSuOv2R.jpg]
[Image: R7EqCcF.jpg]
[Image: 7ngtbmz.jpg]
[Image: Q2L7m20.jpg]
[Image: qSeLXmh.jpg]
Came out pretty good!
James Helm - Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization!

Helm Enterprises, Forging Division - http://www.helmforge.com

Helm Enterprises, Grinding Division - http://www.helmgrind.com

A collaboration with Wasteland Leatherwork: wastelandcrow.blogspot.com
hey!!!!! I would say that's pretty terrific looking for your first forge!! Big Grin Cool  nice shape

Congrats man, betcha cant make just one...it can become addictive!

How you gonna finish that? I mean what type of scales/handle u putting on?

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(10-16-2017, 06:15 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: hey!!!!! I would say that's pretty terrific looking for your first forge!! Big Grin Cool  nice shape

Congrats man, betcha cant make just one...it can become addictive!

How you gonna finish that? I mean what type of scales/handle u putting on?

AOC

Thanks!

I think I am going to do wraps on both.  Maybe an epoxy twine wrap on the slicer and something useful on the tracker like bank line over 550.
Turned out great. Can't wait to see your next one. Was this a local guy or a community college?  Did you do a day, weekend?
remember what the Dormouse said

"Learn from others mistakes. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt
(10-17-2017, 02:54 AM)caver56 Wrote: Turned out great. Can't wait to see your next one. Was this a local guy or a community college?  Did you do a day, weekend?

The class was taught by Mace Vitale.  You may know him from 'Forged in Fire'.

It was a two-day class (16+ hours) which I traveled to.  The school was Peters Valley School of Craft.
I spent a little time with the slicer on my Japanese water stones and then gave it a paracord wrap (possibly temporary). I aim to use it a bit and then work on fine tuning the grind. I'm really not sure what I'll be using this knife for anyway.

[Image: lGKgbly.jpg]
OOOOH

Beauty--very nice finish!!

yes I do suppose it really depends on what you intend to use it for, --when considering the type of handle or wrap....I like the para cord--not the most comfortable, but if its not going to be heavily used for extended periods then it should be just dandy!
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(10-25-2017, 01:05 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: OOOOH

Beauty--very nice finish!!

yes I do suppose it really depends on what you intend to use it for, --when considering the type of handle or wrap....I like the para cord--not the most comfortable, but if its not going to be heavily used for extended periods then it should be just dandy!

I think I will use it with the wrap for now, but this one may get used to process fish in the field so that'll get nasty fast.
beautify that bad boy...

https://youtu.be/M0KOgbcLcmI

[Image: DF427217-D458-48E8-A8F7-4F5DF5D99BB2_zpsbkema5li.jpg]
{  "Trust in Jesus but carry a sixgun in the bathroom."€  Phantom  }
(10-25-2017, 02:56 PM)alukban Wrote: beautify that bad boy...

https://youtu.be/M0KOgbcLcmI

[Image: DF427217-D458-48E8-A8F7-4F5DF5D99BB2_zpsbkema5li.jpg]

Cool beans.  I've used the strider wrap before but I favor the whipping wrap.  You could always let me test out that Sargent for a while to see if it changes my mind.
looks pretty darned good to me

well done
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.