Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steaks on the Coals
Mako and RandyT mentioned ash cakes in another thread.  Although I've never tried those, I have cooked quite a few steaks on the coals of a fire.

Firewood:
Hardwoods are what you want here.  I've used maple and oak and both work very well.  I've had less luck with lighter woods such as pine because it burns hotter and faster.  Make sure you aren't using any kind of crazy toxic wood or anything.  I don't want to be responsible for killing anyone off.

Build your fire:
You want a nice wide fire base.  Build your fire up and then let one area burn down low to a nice hot bed of large coals.  I find that split wood about 3/4" x 3/4" x 8" pieces, or a little fatter, will produce nice sized coals for cooking steaks.  Don't pull your coals out of the fire, rather clear the higher flaming fuel off the top to expose your coal bed.  You can surround the cooking coals with other pieces of firewood or rocks as a wind break and to reflect heat like an oven.

Cookin':
Add any seasoning first.  Then, put your steaks right on top of the coals.  Set them down fairly gently.  Don't disturb the coals too much because you don't want to kick up a lot of ash onto your nice juicy steaks.  Ash sticks, coals don't really stick much.  At this point, you have to go by feel or use the force or whatever method of instinct you prefer.  For your first coal steaks, start with 6 or 7 minutes a side.  Flip the steaks with improvised tongs and knock of what little coals may stick. After doing this once or twice you'll get a feel for the temperature you want the coals, timing, and how you like your steaks cooked.  Slow and steady wins the steaks...

Why the heck would I throw a fillet mignon on the coals of a fire? :
It tastes really good.  More importantly, if your plane crashes in the Alaskan wilderness and you didn't pack a frying pan, you can still cook that kodiak bear you just rassled to death.  "What one man can do, another can do!"

[Image: cK6ZVsN.jpg]
Big Grin Big Grin

hahaha LOVE "the Edge"!!! my favorite food of all time, steaks cooked on coals... beef steaks preferably, but Bart the bear would do in a pinch.....

what one man can do a woman can do--better hahahah ...

don't go native on me Dashing....wait a minute, yes do--please do go native on us!!!

What are we going to do Charles??? I'll tell ya what I'm gonna do----I'm a gonna kill the mutherf^&*er Big Grin Cool

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(10-16-2017, 06:34 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: Big Grin Big Grin

hahaha LOVE "the Edge"!!! my favorite food of all time, steaks cooked on coals... beef steaks preferably, but Bart the bear would do in a pinch.....

what one man can do a woman can do--better hahahah ...

don't go native on me Dashing....wait a minute, yes do--please do go native on us!!!

What are we going to do Charles??? I'll tell ya what I'm gonna do----I'm a gonna kill the mutherf^&*er Big Grin Cool

AOC

Haha.

We're going to LURE him.
Where is the Cabernet and the asparagus?
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

Love me some steaks on the coals! Yum!!

-K
cookin meat on coals, so simple a caveman can do it lol, I love it