Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rations for Diabetics?
Good day Hoodlum Family!

I'm presently researching this but would value your thoughts, advice, opinions and even smartalek remarks!

I've been recently diagnosed with diabetes (the wonderful kind that comes from genetics and doesn't show up until your late '40s) so I'm looking for a way to put together decent rations that are high protein / low carb.

Has anyone faced this and discovered options that may help me and/or other diabetic Hoodlums?

Thank you very much!

Kurt (Dad)
Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Among life's greatest joys is that of exploration and immersion; to leave comfort and familiarity behind and to fully embrace as many environments, climates, seasons and cultures as your lifetime will allow, for each is unique - filled with wonders and treasures - and will expand your heart just to hold them all!
- me.
Hah....actually yes, I forget who it was (possibly Jimbo...or RVM45) but a hoodlum made a post last year about keeping rations in the car for his diabetic wife (I think) and wanted suggestions...not just your typical sugary power bars...

I remember the consensus was a few good items to keep on hand for a diabetic might be:

different types and flavors of jerky

dry fruit leathers

smoked/preserved/canned sausage and maybe even cheeses...high fat, high protein, low sugar low carb

little tins of tuna fish, salmon, turkey ect
of course--everybodys favorite--SPAM Big Grin

corned beef and saltine crackers?

Peanut (and other nut butters)

trail mix (nuts, fruits ect)

humus + something...

canned chili (now I know you asked for no to low carb, and things like dried fruits and saltine crackers and the vegetables in the chili may not be no carb, but you cant eat all meat all the time lol,) but I have read that things such as many beans & legumes, certain fruits ie: cranberries and certain vegetables ie: yams, can actually help stabilize blood sugar because of all the fiber and other stuff present in there; especially when taken with the protein.

I suppose it would always be good to store vitamins, salt and seasonings, hygiene items, oil, butter or lard to get the necessary fats... booze, yes lots a booze Big Grin

Maybe even some special grains which are better for diabetics (like oatmeal, spelt, buckwheat, or arrowroot or coconut flour)

OHHH YA MAPLE SUGAR---I know---you think I am trying to kill you--don't worry friend I am not, I sold maple syrup and maple sugar for 17 years and you would not believe the amount of diabetics --type 1 and 2 that shopped at our store, they told me their doctors said it was ok to have 10- 20g of maple sugar...here and there.

we sold raw honey too and they never touched that, because a spoon of honey would spike their blood sugar terribly, BUT a bit of maple usually would not... maple sugar is unlike any sugar in the world, it is the lowest on the GI and breaks down in the blood stream very slowly....

a tbsp. of light maple syrup (contains lots of water and minerals) has about 5 g sugars, tbsp. of honey has 16...you do the math eh?

Good luck

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
When my brother and I would hike in the Rockies or take canoe trips in MN, he would always pack the protein bars.  I don't recall the brands.  But he would go with the highest protein lowest sugar bars he could find.  He doesn't get out much on foot or canoe any more, but I'm pretty sure he keeps the bars in his day bag to and from work and when he is traveling.
My wife, when she was diagnosed some years ago, refused medication and told the doctor that would control it with diet and exercise.  She met with a nurse who specializes in this and paid for a couple hours of consultation/training. She's not always as careful as she should be but checks the carbs on everything.  There are lots of good bars out there - check out a place like Wal-Mart or Sam's Club (we don't have much of anything local here in the sticks!).  I really like Kar's "Sweet n' Salty packets.  They're just two ounce 270 calorie packets of raisins, peanuts, sunflower seeds and a candy like M&Ms.  She was eating one for lunch last time we were hiking and all of a sudden she said, "Too many raisins and not enough chocolate.  Just sayin'!"  Kind, Larabar, and many more.
  Theolphilus
Kind of a question of cost, and what you are willing to eat, along with what kind of Diabetes (type one or type two.)

Powdered Peanut butter, various canned and dried meats (be sure to read the labels plenty of sugar added to many kinds of jerky for instance) plenty of canned Green Beans, read your canned goods nutrition labels.

If money is not an issue, then Freeze Dried (nearly anything you would care to eat) is available and it tends to store well.

Medicated diabetes, both kinds call for a regulated carbohydrate dose at timed intervals.

Type two, controlled by diet (and exercise) One method is to just plain eliminate carbohydrates as much as possible.
resulting in a High Fat and high protein diet, along with what I will call "Tricks of the Trade" After sort of extensive internet search, what I have found that helps me, is a combination of eating cinnamon once or twice a day (the rough equivalent of half a teaspoon of dry powdered) and a concept called restricted time eating.

The idea is pretty easy and simple, from the time you wake up, the first non plain water you consume, Your vitamins, your coffee or juice, food is included, start your clock, eat nothing past 12 hours later (other than plain water)
Better yet if nothing consumed after 8 hours.

You are reading this on a computer of some sort, so look up Time restricted eating on your own.

These two things results in my being, for the most part (as in the majority of the time) non diabetic, which means that I continue to test my blood glucose level two hours after I eat at least once a day (I also check in the morning before I eat) I am working on being moderate in my carbohydrate consumption, some days better than others, I normally through the day manage middle 80's to 110's with higher lvls 120s to 130s when I first wake up.

Adding the cinnamon and the time restrictive eating has allowed me to some times have two fat slices of Bread, or enchiladas rice and beans, or 5 to 15 pieces of Dove chocolate while keeping my blood glucose in the 80s to 110s the majority of the time with one wake up of 151 in the last 15 days.

So, for me, eating most of the time like carbohydrates will kill me, plus these two things means that when I do eat too many sweets, my body manages to deal with it, which was not the case before I made the effort to do these two things.
Andre Dumouchel

Having My Name and Living in Texas, it is simply assumed that I will Eat Anything and have Primitive Skills.

(Some Women like a Fella that has Primitive Skills!)

(Some Men Too, and That's Ok!)

Stupidity can be painful, and fun to watch from time to time.
Thank you all very much!

I'm still learning the ins & outs of diabetes, and have not yet been definitively diagnosed with either type 1 or 2. Doctors are having fits, saying bloodwork is textbook 47yr old with type 2 but I physically present as mid 20s type 1. We're still awaiting a test on this.

In the meantime it's a fight to control blood sugar.

Getting exercise and staying fit has likely delayed onset, and there appears to be a family history of late onset diabetes...so I drew the short straw this generation.

I really appreciate your experiences and thoughts! I'll be putting together rations based upon these and what I learn further...

Kurt.
Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love.

Among life's greatest joys is that of exploration and immersion; to leave comfort and familiarity behind and to fully embrace as many environments, climates, seasons and cultures as your lifetime will allow, for each is unique - filled with wonders and treasures - and will expand your heart just to hold them all!
- me.
It wasn't me, AOC.  Neither the wife nor I are diabetics.  Mother is, but she has always been able to control it by diet.  (Her doctor believes her pancreas is just not producing the insulin her body needs, more because of age than her actually being a true diabetic, but regardless of cause she still fits into the diabetic category.)  Since she lives with us, yes we do a lot of label reading.  Something else to watch is many of the low sugar sweets are loaded with fats, so if you have a cholesterol problem that is something else to watch. 

But most of all as has been repeated previously is reading labels, is the only way to determine what to pick.

The good thing is there are many more choices today than just a few years ago for many different dietary needs.

My wife purchases low carb soups, no sugar added vegetables and salt free products as much as possible.  By doing that mother eats the same meals as we do, and her diabetes is still regulated fairly well.  She does have a spike occasionally for no rational reason, but for the most part her blood sugar remains in the 95 - 135 range, usually below 120, but her doctor said for her age anything below 140 is acceptable.  My wife makes desserts normally so mother can also eat the same as everyone else.  She routine mixes Splenda with sugar and/or Coconut sweetner.  Whole wheat and/or whole grain products also help reduce blood sugar spikes and maintain a good blood sugar level.
Jimbo
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatrotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
For things you can keep in your pack or car, low carb energy bars are common. Some types are better than others. They should be available all over the USA, but some states have more brands and varieties in those brands than others.

Generally the Atkins bars have the least carbs of the common brands, and Balance has a balance between carbs protein, and fats. There are or at least used to be "trail" versions of bars from both brands, bars which are usually harder and drier and more resistant to melting.

Sam's Club sells Detour bars which are cheap and have a low carb variant. These bars taste OK enough to eat if very hungry but are not so good that I'd snack on them like the Atkins or Balance bars. lol

You'd have to test the various brands personally to see how you react to them. This isn't just for diabetics, some brands can have a laxative effect on some people.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
Thank you!

The good news is, once I find something that works and I like, I'm pretty set. I don't suffer easily from menu fatigue.

Kurt.

- me.
Biltong is a type of cured meat from South Africa.

1. Cut red meat into 1" slabs. Trim off fat. Don't use pork or other meat that may contain parasites.
2. Lightly spray with vinegar from a spray bottle. I like to use Bragg apple cider vinegar but that isn't critical.
3. Sprinkle lightly with coarse salt.
4. Liberally sprinkle with ground corriander and black pepper.
5. Rig a string between two supports. Every few inches create a loop by tying an overhand knot into a bight of the string. These are for hanging the meat, so they will stay separated.
6. Take meat and hang from string using fishhooks or unbent paper clips. I hang over the sink for the first day in case there are any drips.
7. Come back in 2 weeks to a month to take biltong off the string and eat it. You can test at different times to see how dry you like it.

Stores indefinitely without refrigeration, tastes great.
Howard Wallace
(10-21-2017, 07:16 PM)Jimbo Wrote: It wasn't me, AOC.  Neither the wife nor I are diabetics.  Mother is, but she has always been able to control it by diet. 
Oh...I do apologize Jimbo...usually my memory is pretty good...but this particular old post is hazy to me Big Grin  must have been another Hoodlum..
all great stuff and suggestions in this thread, I am even getting some ideas for snacks I can pack for Joe (who I suspect might possibly be pre-diabetic...with his tingly fingers and toes)....don't see how he couldn't be...straight diet of processed sugars and high carbs for 55 years...hahah
"what's for breakfast dear...?"
"oh a big bowl of lucky charms, a triple triple coffee, and a piece of white toast with extra butter and maple butter..."
what's for diner dear?
ummmm a piece of cake and ice cream....teriyaki beef jerky...licorice...
and for desert?
obviously I exaggerate but the guys got seriously sweet tooth Smile
AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
There have been plenty of people that have cured their type 2 diabetes with fasting. If you had type one diabetes and are not taking insulin you would be dead, or in a coma. It would be type 2 diabetes that you have. There have been plenty of people that have cured type 2 diabetes with fasting. Check out Dr. Jason Fung, a nephrologist from Toronto, who has cured 100's of people of type 2 diabetes. Dr. Goldhamer, in the States, has been curing people of type 2 diabetes and arthritis pain with fasting, and has been using fasting as medical treatment for 30 years. The drugs the MD gives you will destroy your liver and kidneys by making your diabetes worse. Fasting has been proven for 2000 years to be very healthy and beneficial.

Remember increased blood glucose is a symptom, diabetes is a problem of too much insulin. To cure type 2 diabetes there needs to be a decrease in insulin, the best way to do that is not to give the beta cells of your pancreas a reason to produce it, hence fasting. The fact that insulin receptor down regulation occurs is because it is protecting the cells from the poisonous effects too much glucose, as glucose non-enzymatically attaches to protein structures and calcifies them, destroying their functionality. High blood sugar is your body telling you that there has been too much insulin, so receptor down-regulation has occurred to protect the cells of the of the body. This is why HbA1C is checked, because it will indicate the attachment of glucose to protein structures, in general, throughout the body. Insulin is not needed for this but increased blood sugar will still attach to protein structures. This is why you see vascular complications. Too much sugar in the blood exposes the protein structures to increased amounts of glucose, which attaches to the protein structures that make up the vasculature, causing calcification. This results in blocking of the arteries and arterioles with calcium. This is why if one is a diabetic I can almost guarantee you that you will die of a heart attack or stroke, and if you live long enough you will lose your feet and legs, possibly go blind, because the optic nerves don't need insulin to absorb glucose, so are very vulnerable.

Chances are, along with Metformin, to destroy you liver and kidneys, you will be put on a BP med and an anti-cholesteremic, which also have wonderful health destroying effects, which will of course lead to a drug cascade. I see it all to often, everyday in my practice I see type 2 diabetics given meds to help them with their disease getting sicker and sicker. Skip the meds and take responsibility for your health.

As for snacks on the go, skip them, I'm sure you can go several weeks without food. But if you must, bring something consisting of simple sugars to deal with hypoglycaemia, then something more complex, carb wise, with fat to keep a constant supply of carbs dripping into your blood. Protein is easily converted to sugar so stick with fat. Type 2 diabetes affects the entire body, especially the liver as it is your glucostat. Fix your liver, I guarantee you it is infiltrated with fat. Even if you don't look fat the fact that you have diabetes means your organs, especially you liver are fatty and can't function properly.

If I remember from the old days you used to talk of hypoglycaemic episodes on this board. That was near the start of the damage to your body from diabetes. When you are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, it means you have been having blood sugar problems for 10-20 years. It's not genetic, that is an excuse people use to shiirk responsibility for their health. Remember the saying "obesity runs in the family" The MD replies "obesity in the family, nobody runs in the family." the reason it is "genetic" is because families tend to eat the same shitty food, and the same shitty habits" the disease is familial not genetic. If you, or anyone else was around 100 years ago or more, when real food was eaten then almost no one in your family would be diabetic.

I wish you the best, and my heart is with you that you will not have to deal with diabetes, because you offspring will learn from your example and end up in the same boat.
"If you save one life you are a hero. If you save 100 lives you are a nurse." Unknown

(10-26-2017, 01:21 AM)Someday_RN Wrote: There have been plenty of people that have cured their type 2 diabetes with fasting. If you had type one diabetes and are not taking insulin you would be dead, or in a coma. It would be type 2 diabetes that you have. There have been plenty of people that have cured type 2 diabetes with fasting. Check out Dr. Jason Fung, a nephrologist from Toronto, who has cured 100's of people of type 2 diabetes. Dr. Goldhamer, in the States, has been curing people of type 2 diabetes and arthritis pain with fasting, and has been using fasting as medical treatment for 30 years. The drugs the MD gives you will destroy your liver and kidneys by making your diabetes worse. Fasting has been proven for 2000 years to be very healthy and beneficial.

wow this is all a great wealth of information, very helpful...I am woe-fully well aware of the situations with the drug dealers...cough I mean "docs" cough..... Big Grin

so when you say someone can fix or cure their type 2 diabetes by fasting.....you mean literally eating nothing for a few days until blood sugar goes back to normal and then just repeat that whenever it gets too high...or maybe fast on a regular "maintenance" type of basis...??

there has been talk of the benefits of fasting on this forum before...and as you stated folks have been doing it for thousands of years to cleanse themselves and cure their ills....

my mom has fatty liver, and I have tried to get her to fast before but she refuses because of her "hypoglycemia"....she says she gets sick if she doesn't eat.... but I don't know why she even has fatty liver--she does drink alcohol regularly but not in major excess...she has had a VERY healthy diet for many years and exercises fairly heavily. weird.....

AOC

I have type 2 , and have found that by becoming a carb counter I can stay pretty level. The American Diabetes Association has some great lit that they will send you or that you can download.I manage to eat most anything I want by using the carb guidelines,my only downfall is bread.So when I cheat it is almost always with warm biscuits.
Be careful of canned fruits , the syrup is very carb heavy,I do use jerky,ham and some cheese.Hard cheese is the lowest in carbs. HTH..,Doug
a armed man is his own master
[Image: 22780624_1104001823067863_72864748726970...e=5A7DBD17]