Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who said Turkey are difficult to Hunt?
This is not really primitive cooking in the literal since of the word, but cooking with wood is still in that general arena. 

I went Turkey Hunting this morning and located one with little effort for the family to enjoy for dinner on Thursday.  I found a nice young plump butterball weighting in at 12 1/2 pound just lying in wait to be snared at out local butchers shop.  A strip of plastic I carry in my bi-folding snare for just such occasions secured the big bird quickly and with little wasted time I was headed for home with my prize turkey riding in the back of my truck. 

Once home, I placed the bird on ice and set it aside to be cleaned & processed for smoking, which will commence about 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, and hopefully the smoking will be complete by midnight Wednesday.  Some nice pecan slabs were prepared this afternoon which will perform the job of slow smoking the turkey leaving a very nice smoked aroma of pecan on the bird I secured this morning. 

Hope everyone else collected a turkey, ham, leg of lamb or whatever your favorite Thanksgiving Day's meal will be centered around.  Happy Thanksgiving Day to each everyone.
Jimbo
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatrotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
Oh ya Happy Thanksgiving to all you mericans!!!

Ooooh my god! Some hunters have ALL the luck Big Grin

I have spent over 800$ and over 100 hours trying to get my bird....and I know...I know...my moms friend says 99 cents a pound down at the local grocery! But I want to get mine with a pointy stick--dammit!!!!

That smoked turkey on pecan wood sounds like a dream Jimbo--yum!!!!!!!!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
I've never hunted turkey.

Last summer, however, when I was shooting airguns at my brother's house, 12-15 turkeys walked right in front of my target and just hung around it and would not leave.

I'm not sure how well that group of turkeys will survive hunting season if they act the same way. Big Grin
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
(11-22-2017, 07:45 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: That smoked turkey on pecan wood sounds like a dream Jimbo--yum!!!!!!!!

AOC

It sure smells great right now.  I will let you know how the test is after our meal on Thursday.
Jimbo
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatrotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(11-22-2017, 10:59 PM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: I've never hunted turkey.
I haven't either, not with a boom pole at least, although I have intended to during many past seasons.  The season here is late in the Spring and I seem to always miss it even the years I have wrote it in on the calendar. 

There has always been next year, in the past, but there are not so many "next years" left in the future I am afraid.
Jimbo

(11-23-2017, 01:34 AM)Jimbo Wrote:
(11-22-2017, 07:45 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: That smoked turkey on pecan wood sounds like a dream Jimbo--yum!!!!!!!!

AOC

It sure smells great right now.  I will let you know how the test is after our meal on Thursday.

I would love to know how the smoked turkey turned out...we got one with the bows 2 years ago....we deep fried it---delicious!!! Big Grin

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Last year I was able to take a turkey with my shot gun....

In the frozen food section at the store...scared the hell out of a lot of people.....

Banned from Kroger for life......

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

I used to live on ten acres in Michigan.  I had turkeys in my yard quite often.  At one time there were somewhere between 30-40 0f them in the front yard and to me they were just a pest.  A friend of mine got his first turkey license and was looking for a place to hunt.  Not being a turkey hunter myself I invited him over to hunt on my property.   I told him to set up alone side of my driveway.  He set his blind where I suggested and I doubt if an hour passed before a flock of turkeys came strolling up the drive.   I just happened to look out the front window as he shot his turkey.   He was about the happiest person I have seen.

AOC

The pecan wood smoked turkey was good, but to be totally truthful, if smelled better when taken off the smoker, than it really tasted, at least to me it did.  This was the first time to use pecan wood, but our experience has been any fruit or nut tree produces good smoked foods.
Jimbo

I have never tried smoking meat with pecan....I love the wood for fires as it burns very hot...my favorite wood for smoking is apple, but I have also used peach, cherry and even mesquite to good effect...hickory is good also...oak is a last choice......

Did you use chunks or chips? Also, did you use pecan for the entire smoking process?

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

(Yesterday, 12:00 AM)Jimbo Wrote:

AOC

The pecan wood smoked turkey was good, but to be totally truthful, if smelled better when taken off the smoker, than it really tasted, at least to me it did.  This was the first time to use pecan wood, but our experience has been any fruit or nut tree produces good smoked foods.

Ok well I will take note of that--and opt for apple if I do smoke one...in the future.

I imagine a wild turkey would be quite dry if smoked, might call for some bacon wrapping... Big Grin

AOC

(11-23-2017, 08:38 PM)Voyageur7 Wrote: I used to live on ten acres in Michigan.  I had turkeys in my yard quite often.  At one time there were somewhere between 30-40 0f them in the front yard and to me they were just a pest.  A friend of mine got his first turkey license and was looking for a place to hunt.  Not being a turkey hunter myself I invited him over to hunt on my property.   I told him to set up alone side of my driveway.  He set his blind where I suggested and I doubt if an hour passed before a flock of turkeys came strolling up the drive.   I just happened to look out the front window as he shot his turkey.   He was about the happiest person I have seen.

Hell yeah Smile ! I bet he was happy- first hunt within the hour!!! very cool to do for a friend.

Generous land owners --that's how we do most of our hunting too--since we dont own any land and dont really like to hunt on public land--(cuz you are inviting trouble with the game wardens, friendly fire ect ect)...

We are lucky that way--our friends with a 60 acre farm let us hunt there as much as we want, and my friend has a 200 acre deer hunting camp I went to and a few others have offered....

but we found once the soya beans and corn dried up at the farm, the turkeys were scared off... they dont favor wheat I guess

AOC