Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who said Turkey are difficult to Hunt?
(12-01-2017, 10:20 AM)WayneH Wrote: I bought a couple extra turkeys this year.  It was hard to pass up the 50 cents a pound price.  The extra turkeys were turned into 18 pints of canned turkey to be used over the next 12 months.
I've pretty much decided to raise my own in 2018.  Maybe get a mix of the commercial type broad breasted and some Bourbon Red heritage breed.

After having a heart-attack in '12 we transitioned to virtually only turkey, chicken, fish or seafood.  Rarely do I consume beef and even less do I eat pork, but they sure taste great when I do get a morsel of either.

We purchased several turkeys in January of each year of the following years when they were marked down to 39 cents per pound and processed them into ground meat, and canned the broth for use in cooking and soups.  [Compared with ground turkey at 1.99/lb.]  Later my wife purchased some ground chicken when it was on sale and we decided we actually prefer the chicken meat.  [Turkey meat has a sweetness which still comes through the seasoning, but she can make some pretty good chili and spaghetti sauce with either.]  Now she purchases chicken breasts when they are on sale and grinds them herself.  She will usually purchase a minimum of 20 - 25 pounds to justify setting up the grinder, which will usually last us 4 - 6 months, depending on the season.  In the winter we will eat more soups, chili, etc consuming more of the ground chicken than during the spring & summer.
Jimbo
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatrotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(12-01-2017, 03:21 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
(12-01-2017, 10:20 AM)WayneH Wrote: I bought a couple extra turkeys this year.  It was hard to pass up the 50 cents a pound price.  The extra turkeys were turned into 18 pints of canned turkey to be used over the next 12 months.
I've pretty much decided to raise my own in 2018.  Maybe get a mix of the commercial type broad breasted and some Bourbon Red heritage breed.

I am looking to get into homesteading and wanted to raise chickens and or turkeys...I did a lot of research and stumbled upon some articles claiming that turkeys are notoriously hard to keep...apparently they suffer from some contagious condition called "black head" and also sometimes the young won't feed on their own and they said turkeys need more heat than chickens. Where I live, in Ontario Canada, the article said the average farmer looses 50 to 60%% of his turkeys...as opposed to 20% of his chickens...turned me off trying to raise turkeys but I am not sure if it's true.

I do like turkey!! Big Grin

AOC

I've heard a lot of things too.  I'm stubborn enough to find out for myself.  Ha!

I'm in Kentucky, and there's a commercial turkey farm no too far away from me.  I think I'll be alright.  Besides, learning experiences are only expensive once.  Right?
Life ain't nothin but a funny funny riddle..... J. Denver
Another thing about commercial turkeys. I worked with a guy who raised them, and he said that when it rained, he had to get them under cover. They would stand in the open, looking up at the rain with their mouths open, and drown.

Damn if that ain't too stupid to live.

For those of you who have Facebook, this video is a must see:  https://www.facebook.com/crusoedachshund...62/?type=1

This is how you hunt Turkeys - "fur" real!!!!  Enjoy!

-K
(12-02-2017, 05:28 PM)Bill Hay Wrote: Another thing about commercial turkeys.  I worked with a guy who raised them, and he said that when it rained, he had to get them under cover. They would stand in the open, looking up at the rain with their mouths open, and drown.

Damn if that ain't too stupid to live.

shitkens willdo the same
Tryker

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

(12-04-2017, 09:21 PM)Karen Hood Wrote: For those of you who have Facebook, this video is a must see:  https://www.facebook.com/crusoedachshund...62/?type=1

This is how you hunt Turkeys - "fur" real!!!!  Enjoy!

-K

Big Grin Big Grin  AHHHHH I LOVE that dog crusoe, he is fricking adorable!!

AOC

(12-02-2017, 12:33 AM)WayneH Wrote:
(12-01-2017, 03:21 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:

I am looking to get into homesteading and wanted to raise chickens and or turkeys...I did a lot of research and stumbled upon some articles claiming that turkeys are notoriously hard to keep...apparently they suffer from some contagious condition called "black head" and also sometimes the young won't feed on their own and they said turkeys need more heat than chickens. Where I live, in Ontario Canada, the article said the average farmer looses 50 to 60%% of his turkeys...as opposed to 20% of his chickens...turned me off trying to raise turkeys but I am not sure if it's true.

I do like turkey!! Big Grin

AOC

I've heard a lot of things too.  I'm stubborn enough to find out for myself.  Ha!

I'm in Kentucky, and there's a commercial turkey farm no too far away from me.  I think I'll be alright.  Besides, learning experiences are only expensive once.  Right?

EXACTLY, and you cant put a price on higher education... Big Grin  maybe you are right, worth it to try raising a few.. certainly cheaper and easier than trying to bow hunt the bastards...I have literally spent 1000$ and 200 hours trying to get close enough in the last 2 years to no avail...for dumb birds they certainly have sharp senses....

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan