Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Survival Kits - Theoretical and Practical Discussion
Well, the small kit building got old pretty quickly for me.

1) I have some small essentials on my person. Fire, water, basic shelter and cutting tool will always be covered.

2) My small backpack that I always have with me except for when going to a club or a movie or something like that.

3) Unless backpacking, my car is most likely no more that 100m away. I live in and out of my car half of the week, so it's pretty loaded.
Something y'all might find interesting, my 15 year old nephew is starting to get into survival stuff--I have given him a few survival books in the past for Christmas as well as a full camping gear set, SAK, ect ect ect...

this year he asked for mens size 11 hiking boots, so I gave him a gift card for those, but I wanted him to have something to open and play with too...so I gave him that book Building the Perfect survival kit by John D McCann. I also included a empty little dry bag, and a bunch of gear (some cheap, some expensive) paracord, heat sheet, storm matches, ferro rod and petroleum cotton, a little metal mug, life straw, candies, bandaids, chicken bouillon cube, glow stick, throw away folding knife, fishing line, hooks, duct tape, survival saw, garbage bags, hand warmers ect...and told him to have fun building his own kit--based on his anticipated needs!

he was really happy....I will see if I can post what he puts together! When I go back and check on him!

I got that warm and fuzzy feeling, because he was telling me all the survival stuff he learned from the previous books I had given him. Big Grin Big Grin

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Wow, that's great! Of course, introduce him to Woodsmaster #1.... For now... Best if they don't come too close together. As a trainer, I can tell you that too much information all at the same time will result in just skimming, and no deep learning takes place.

AOC, advise your 15 year old nephew to join the Canadian Venturer Scouts.
They teach a lot of survival skills.
I wish I had joined the scouts when I was a kid, but in our gang we thought wearing short pants was sissy.
One of my few regrets in life - I could have learned a lot.

Cool
(12-26-2018, 06:22 PM)Bill Hay Wrote: Wow, that's great!  Of course, introduce him to Woodsmaster #1....    For now...  Best if they don't come too close together.  As a trainer, I can tell you that too much information all at the same time will result in just skimming, and no deep learning takes place.

Bill, that is some sound advice! I will take heed of that!

(12-27-2018, 08:33 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: AOC, advise your 15 year old nephew to join the Canadian Venturer Scouts.
They teach a lot of survival skills.
I wish I had joined the scouts when I was a kid, but in our gang we thought wearing short pants was sissy.
One of my few regrets in life - I could have learned a lot.

Cool
Ok will do Limey--he was in Boy Scouts which instilled this interest in outdoors for him, but life got in the way....I have been hearing lately that the Scouts have been infiltrated by politically correct ninnie-com-poops....no longer called boy scouts, and some areas even took away the pocket knife and other such beloved favorites  Sad

he might just do better with a combo of forum training, woodsmaster vids, and AOC survival trips...but ill start him off slow, hes got to learn fire, water, shelter big time!!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
The issues with the Boy Scouts we usually discuss here are in relation to the Boy Scouts of America.

Canada might have a better program, or maybe about the same or worse.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
In my case I had to learn through necessity - the whole family did.
When our butler ran off with cook we had to learn how to open tins and serve ourselves!
Luckily our chauffeur was an ex-army cook and he stepped into the breach, as he told us he did many times during the war.
He began cooking up the most delicious bully beef stews.
Our maid soon learned to serve at table and we gave her an extra two shillings a week
It was most fortunate she stayed otherwise we would have had to make our own beds.  Undecided
When my parent caught me sneaking into the maid’s bedroom at night they threw me out.
I slept in the stables for two weeks before I was allowed back in the house.
Still it learned me self-reliance, and how to climb a drainpipe – to the maid's bedroom.

Ah hard times, but I survived.

Tongue
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."
Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."
Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery

“Steady Monty. you cant speak to me like that. I'm you boss."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Remember gentlemen it is not just France we are fighting for, it's champagne."
Churchill 

(12-29-2018, 08:19 PM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: The issues with the Boy Scouts we usually discuss here are in relation to the Boy Scouts of America.

Canada might have a better program, or maybe about the same or worse.

God love ya Ben Big Grin --so optimistic---since when does Canada have a better anything than the land of the free? 

to answer with my knowledge thus far----the USA Scout program is better, but the regional variations might be huge--since its volunteer based--the curriculum might be/could be better if say someone like Kurt was running one in Alberta vs a crazy lib in Kalifornia....but reports coming out of some states dont sound good...

I remember JBarrows last account of volunteering for a Scout troop...they werent even carrying pocket knives  Confused

AOC

(12-30-2018, 10:42 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: When my parent caught me sneaking into the maid’s bedroom at night they threw me out.
Still it learned me self-reliance, and how to climb a drainpipe – to the maid's bedroom.

Tongue

Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes   YOU spoiled little scoundrel....hahahahaha....

you sure do bring some laughs to this forum Peter.....alas I shudder at the thought of how many little Peters are running amok around the globe causing havoc with the hired help!

AOC

(12-30-2018, 06:14 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 10:42 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: When my parent caught me sneaking into the maid’s bedroom at night they threw me out.

Tongue

Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes   YOU spoiled little scoundrel....hahahahaha....

you sure do bring some laughs to this forum Peter.....alas I shudder at the thought of how many little Peters are running amok around the globe causing havoc with the hired help!

AOC

Big Grin
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

Thinking back to the time when I was a peacock in flowered shirt, and orange flared trousers, I did once climb a drainpipe to a hotel maid's bedroom.
In the morning they lowered me down to a back ally in a four feet square laundry box.

Tongue
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill