Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Survival Kits - Theoretical and Practical Discussion
One thing I like is a few drill bits.  A hot nail would work but not as good or as quick as a drill bit.
remember what the Dormouse said

"Learn from others mistakes. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt
(12-04-2017, 01:27 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: Plan to layer your equipment
Essentials in your pockets or on your belt knife, compass whistle firelight etc. a map of the area and GPS if you have one.
Day survival equipment in a lumbar pack cup, construction bags mylar sheet snacks and headlamp or flashlight with extra batteries.
Food shelter light sleeping bag and cook pot in a small day pack.
When you may spend the night in the mountains you can drop the pack in a likely spot and continue on with the lumbar and the essentials in your pocket if you are fishing or hunting nearby. If there is a chance you will not make it back to your pack it will be light enough to take with you.
What extras you put in are a matter of personal preference, but you should consider always having shelter, water, map and compass, fire kit, first aid soft tissue treatment and adequate clothing and footwear for the terrain.
Guns and fishing kit to suit the occasion.
You can't expect to be totally comfortable in the wilds, you should  however be able to get by.
James Ayers in his book 100 deadly skills also discusses the layered system

Griz

Griz,

100 Deadly skills was a good book.

I second the gear layering.  I also agree that personal preference has a lot to do with what goes in a PSK.

To all:

My purpose for the thread is to open up a discussion because in reality, most of us are not survival experts.  You won't catch a GOOD survival expert, SERE instructor, or primitive skills guru  thinking he knows enough to stop learning.  

I've been doing this stuff for a long time but I still always find myself learning simple little lessons each time I review my gear with new people.  

If there isn't really that much interest in discussing PSK's at that level of detail, I understand.  Everyone should remember though...  the devil is in the details.  

If the conversation is uninteresting, I understand.  However, a quick glance at a PSK does not achieve the benefit that a detailed, inquisitive look does.  I'm not posting this as a noob looking for advise.  I mean this respectfully: A lot of the replies are generic, high level information that can be gleaned from any basic survival book.  I was hoping to drill down to detailed skills or experience from which we could all learn something.  If everyone feels that is not beneficial, has been done too many times before my arrival on the forum, or is just not interesting, I understand and we can just let it go.  Again, I mean all of this respectfully.  I'm just trying to motivate some discussion.
(12-04-2017, 05:37 AM)caver56 Wrote: One thing I like is a few drill bits.  A hot nail would work but not as good or as quick as a drill bit.

Excellent idea.  Maybe one with the hex drive end on it so it could be easily grabbed with a multitool or so it would offer more purchase if crafted into a hand drill.  Like this:

[Image: bdeLBoN.jpg]
(12-04-2017, 02:23 PM)Dashing Wrote: [quote pid='570602' dateline='1512350848']
  I'm just trying to motivate some discussion.

[/quote]

Which is a good thing.....PSK's have been discussed many times...but I would think that the real reason you are not getting too many responses is that we have not returned to the level of active involvement that we experienced in the past.

Continued posting, covering, many and varied topics will help bring involvement and readership back.

Folks are often very interested in trips, experiences during those trips and gear , new and used involved.

Recently, I was involved in a kayak fishing adventure, my first time in a kayak, ever!  I probably should share some comments about the adventure, but as a moderator, hesitate to do so, since folks may just feel that the forum is a moderator driven blog.

Anyway, please keep posting!

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

(12-04-2017, 03:13 PM)ddennis2 Wrote:

Which is a good thing.....PSK's have been discussed many times...but I would think that the real reason you are not getting too many responses is that we have not returned to the level of active involvement that we experienced in the past.

Continued posting, covering, many and varied topics will help bring involvement and readership back.

Folks are often very interested in trips, experiences during those trips and gear , new and used involved.

Recently, I was involved in a kayak fishing adventure, my first time in a kayak, ever!  I probably should share some comments about the adventure, but as a moderator, hesitate to do so, since folks may just feel that the forum is a moderator driven blog.

DD
[/quote]

Thanks for the perspective.  The Hoodlum mods do a great job of keeping everything on track!
Back to the mention of a heavy duty garbage bag and its supreme utility in a PSK, my praise for a high quality small + lightweight tarp at the top my list just further reinforces that same utility. The HD garbage bag and tarp have the same uses.

I like the superior puncture resistance of a tarp and the stronger built-in tie outs.
{  "Trust in Jesus but carry a sixgun in the bathroom."€  Phantom  }
(12-04-2017, 03:13 PM)ddennis2 Wrote:

DD
[/quote]

I would honestly love nothing more than to hear about said kayak trip Unkle D Big Grin

Mod shmod....you guys are Hoodlums too...

I've got 3 campout reports from the summer...I have been saving up...gonna come out with one this week!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(12-01-2017, 04:47 PM)Dashing Wrote: Lots of good info there AOC.  Thanks.

The bandaids are a funny item.  Any cut small enough to be treated with a bandaid surely is not life threatening.  However, cuts and other injuries to the hands (based on my training and experience) are more detrimental to morale than any other part of the body.  I have seen minor injuries to the hands have severely debilitating effects on capable individuals simply because they begin to feel like they can not manipulate their environment without pain.  This quickly leads to depression which is deadly in a survival situation.  (A very good reason to throw a cheap pair of work gloves in every vehicle, get-home bag, emergency kit, etc.)

The contractor bag is something I have used in my kits before and I have spent a few rainy nights under a contractor bag tarp shelter.  The reason I chose to go with the shower curtain in this case is because it provides a greater area of coverage.  Although the material is far less durable I think it can still be used for a lot of the same things as the black bag.  One of the things I should have mentioned is that this kit was planned knowing that I might have to provide shelter for two.  I should revisit this item though.

WD-40 on the fish hooks.  Good idea.  I had never heard of it's use as an attractant.  

Bug dope is something I will think about adding, even though I have had unsatisfactory results with anything but max-deet or permethrin.  A lot of my dirt time over the last 4 years has been in northeastern swamp and marshland so I'm very familiar with mosquitos (asian tiger type) and ticks.  After a recent run-in with chiggers, my second and worst by far, I don't think I will ever mind mosquitos again.  Those buggers even put Paris Island sand fleas to shame.

I will check out the thread you linked.  Hopefully the idea for this one isn't redundant.  I'm hoping others will post different variations of kits or even levels of spread-loading separate kits.

You are very right about the cuts on the hands...and feet I might add....if they get infected...watch out...a swollen finger filled with green pus would turn Rambo into a blubbering baby...I usually carry duct tape for that reason...since we all love the dual or triple purpose items...

I would agree with you and Alukban that morale items are basically just as important as real survival items...because for me anyways--when I feel strong and confident--I can do anything, hike any mountain, cross any creek, fight any bear--that's why they call me Christine the Machine...but when im low....im real low. and apathetic or pathetic...hahahah

hey now your talking, if you are thinking shelter for 2...shower curtain, cheap, lightweight and bigger!

DAMN u know what chiggers are??! I got some on my face and arm this summer, and nobody--not even my doctor had heard of them...when I told the folks in my office--that they are mini arachnids which lay eggs in your skin then bust out like "alien" they turned green!! hahah chiggers are NOT fun....ya nothing except heavy deet or permethrin really works...I've ben wanting to experiment with some "natural" bug repellents ie: bay leaves, lavender, citronella, marigolds, or burning drink trays or tinder fungi...but I don't wanna be the gineau pig and come home covered in bites Big Grin Big Grin

Gear layering as Grizz said is essential in case you loose or get separated from your pack...got to have minimum: a compass, fire and a blade and warm clothes/poncho on your body at all times!

Again, great thread and discussion! No not redundant, as I said I learned something new!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
I wish we had a "Like" button. ^^^
Great photos and very clean explanation about your survival kit. I really like how you detail the measures of the kit
Two suggestions - replace the green shower curtain with a clear one and replace the regular space blanket with a SOL 2 person heat sheet. The heat sheet is a bit thicker and more forgiving. Having a clear shower curtain allows you to combine it with the heat sheet and make a Mors' Super Shelter.
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
I lost a bunch of good stuff on last October's capsize. Now, time to regear is sparse because of work.

My current approach is a "use what ya got" approach. I plan on upgrading to a Maxped 12" x 5" bottle holder with a 64 oz Klean Kanteen. I have pouches that I haven't used before and know what worked with my last bottle holder kit.

Most of my trips are short walks or with a cart, or packraft so weight is a concern, but not as important as in the past.

The 64 oz KK doesn't give me much room to nest pots, cups and such. Need to research other bottles and pots for the 12 x 5. But in the hot summer, 64 ounces of cool water rocks!
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
Water purification.

I never purify water in the West. I did drink water straight out of the Trinity River in Fort Worth many times, and many other rivers without purification. 
I have drank out of rain puddles in Colton California.
I have drank out of many creeks and rivers all across the USA, and never been poisoned.
However I once was poisoned after drinking out of a ditch in Yorkshire in the UK, but it was summer, and the ditch was hardly moving.
I would hesitate drinking out of a river during a hot time, and probably not drink out of the Hudson.
Therefore, in a survival kit I would not carry a can to heat and sterilize water; however a can is good for heating food, and making a hot drink.
Still, a can to boil water in a survival kit would not be essential to me.
By the way, a few years ago I posted with pictures of a method I invented to heat water in my boot.
Do any of the old timers here remember that?
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."
Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."
Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery

“Steady Monty. you cant speak to me like that. I'm you boss."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Limey, it is great that you have not experienced any ill effect from drinking water in the US, but like playing 'Russian Roulette', you are most definitely taking your chances.  Some of those swiftly flowing mountain streams with crystal clear 'pure' looking water can be harboring some very vile bacteria & viruses which can play real havoc with your digestive system.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(08-16-2018, 04:03 AM)Jimbo Wrote: Limey, it is great that you have not experienced any ill effect from drinking water in the US, but like playing 'Russian Roulette', you are most definitely taking your chances.  Some of those swiftly flowing mountain streams with crystal clear 'pure' looking water can be harboring some very vile bacteria & viruses which can play real havoc with your digestive system.

I have just googled:  cases where persons have been poisoned by drinking out of rivers in the USA.
All I saw was something something about the Flint River being supplied through the county water system.
I think being poisoned by ground water is a myth, and even so, what will be the consequences, just throwing up, and the runs?
I could stand that.

Did John Wayne carry purification tablets in any of his cowboy films Jimbo?
No he would just lay on the bank drinking out of the river alongside his horse.

Tongue