Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alone, documentary what they are doing wrong IMHO
(12-13-2017, 05:54 AM)Limey Pete Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 11:34 PM)wmerrin Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 06:46 PM)alukban Wrote: When I camp with other folks, there is a near compulsive desire to buck and split wood.

Some years ago I heard a story; I have no idea if it is true or even where I heard it... but it seems about right.  A group of couples went into the backcountry to do a little camping.  After choosing a camp site the menfolk all charged off downhill in search of firewood and left the womenfolk to "set up camp".  A few hours later the men struggled up hill back into camp, all worn out from  carrying loads of bucked and split green wood...  only to find the women sitting around a cheery fire enjoying the great outdoors.  It seems the women watched the men head downhill, and decided to go uphill.  They found some standing dead trees, broke off a bunch of dead wood and dragged it downhill into camp, where they broke it into campfire sized chunks and built a fire.

Apparently the men were kinda quiet about all that...
Wally
Ah I always learn something new on this forum AOC.
It is better to collect firewood up the hill. 
Of course. Collecting up the hill means that it is easier to drag it down the hill to the campsite.
Thank you AOC.
Here is a handy poem to chant when collecting firewood.

Hardwoods burn well and slow,
Ash, beech, oak and holly glow.
Softwoods flare up quick and fine,
Birch, fir, hazel, larch and pine.
Elm and willow you'll regret,
   And chestnut green and sycamore wet
Birch and fir logs burn too fast 
Blaze up bright and do not last. 
Poplar gives a bitter smoke, 
Fills your eyes and makes you choke. 
Flames from larch will shoot up high,
And dangerously the sparks will fly....
Holly logs will burn like wax 
You could burn them green 
Elm logs burn like smouldering flax 
With no flame to be seen 
But Ash wood wet or Ash wood dry 
A king shall warm his slippers by.

Now THAT is a useful poem.... Big Grin

AOC

(12-12-2017, 11:34 PM)wmerrin Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 06:46 PM)alukban Wrote: When I camp with other folks, there is a near compulsive desire to buck and split wood.

Some years ago I heard a story; I have no idea if it is true or even where I heard it... but it seems about right.  A group of couples went into the backcountry to do a little camping.  After choosing a camp site the menfolk all charged off downhill in search of firewood and left the womenfolk to "set up camp".  A few hours later the men struggled up hill back into camp, all worn out from  carrying loads of bucked and split green wood...  only to find the women sitting around a cheery fire enjoying the great outdoors.  It seems the women watched the men head downhill, and decided to go uphill.  They found some standing dead trees, broke off a bunch of dead wood and dragged it downhill into camp, where they broke it into campfire sized chunks and built a fire.

Apparently the men were kinda quiet about all that...
Wally

You know where you read that right? SQ mag of course!!! I remember that article, it was the Jack and Jill went up the hill to....do the nasty!!!

When Karen talked about their students survival romance!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
Good Poem.

Ty
Andre Dumouchel

Having My Name and Living in Texas, it is simply assumed that I will Eat Anything and have Primitive Skills.

(Some Women like a Fella that has Primitive Skills!)

(Some Men Too, and That's Ok!)

Stupidity can be painful, and fun to watch from time to time.