Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B mag 17 SUPER coconut 200 yards
a little fun love this little round

[Image: 25398890_10214402302513510_1644079136974...e=5AC6666A]
A nifty way to crack open a coconut!
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
I remember seeing a little North American Arms handgun in that caliber. Wonder how it shot?
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
They don’t make a naa in 17 super to my knowledge at one time I believe they made 17 hmr . Different rounds
(12-22-2017, 11:08 AM)Scottman Wrote: They don’t make a naa in 17 super to my knowledge at one time I believe they made 17 hmr . Different rounds

Thanks for the education. I was not aware of the difference.

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iUbE8USQU2s
(12-25-2017, 05:31 PM)Scottman Wrote: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iUbE8USQU2s

That's some cartridge!

Yeah it’s more a sleeper then the more fungible common carry offers that have been around for a while never had a trouble getting it at Walmart in the “crisis “ has some interesting qualities . Chiappa makes a little badger in it now that I’d like to get to do a shoot out with all the little “backpacking survival “ rimfire I have a
I watched several of the U-tube Videos you posted. 

Have you had any problems with split cases? 

Savage rifles sure didn't get any recommendations from the video's I watched.  Sorta makes it a gamble when purchasing a Savage .17 WSM chambered gun, at least according to those U-tube reports.
Jimbo

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
My bmag shoots easy 1 moa and I have gotten severa 1 inch groups at 200 yards . No split cases
Weren't all of the problem videos from the first run, years and years ago?
Men are, that they might have joy.
(12-28-2017, 11:23 AM)Scottman Wrote: My bmag shoots easy 1 moa and I have gotten severa 1 inch groups at 200 yards . No split cases
That sounds great.  Checking the introduction date for the .17 WSM, showed it was introduced in 2012, which certainly provides time for some tweaking of the rifles and/or cartridges both. 

In all honesty none of the various .17 cartridges every really interested me that much, primarily because they were rimfire cartridges.  On the other hand I have never met a gun I didn't like.  Some I would like to have, but just don't care to pay for one.  

I am old enough to remember the introduction of the .22 Winchester Mag and a number of other super duper cartridges which were to be the newest & greatest cartridge of all times.  In some cases those newest cartridges could not be found with a microscope, or they were so few in numbers their prices were higher than a cats back in very short order.  The Remington 5mm was one of those cartridges which disappeared completely.  The rifles manufactured in 5mm Remington were discontinued about 1974, after being introduced in 1969.  The 5mm ammo completely dried up by the early to mid 80's for the most part.  Then about 2008 the 5mm Remington ammo began to be manufacture by Aguila first if I remember correctly, then possibly others, and then ceased production about April 2016.  I am not sure if any others are still producing the 5mm now or not, but the supplies will soon dry up again if someone is not still producing the 5mm.  

There were center fire cartridges which have suffered similar fates, although none have ceased production completely to my knowledge, but the ammo is sky high and produced in short batches, but for how much longer is anyone's guess. 

Having seen all of this in my lifetime, I have serious reservations about purchasing the flavor of the week today, but back in 1970 the local hardware where I grew up had one of the Remington clip fed bolt action rifles and the 5mm ammo on display.  I wanted one so badly back then, but the way things turned out, I am fortunate not to have received one and then experienced what I am certain would have been a tremendous disappointment the way thing turned out with the 5mm.  That probably has influenced my doubt regarding the various .17 rimfire cartridges more than anything, but the .22 S-L-LR crisis has not endeared me to any rimfire guns, considering their usefulness and abundance. 

I have no doubt any of the various rimfires, can produce much enjoyment and excitement out on the range or prairie either one.  But since the nearest prairie for me would be several hundred miles, that is a pretty null option for me.  None-the-less, Scott you almost arouse an old desire that reaches all the way back to 1970 and that old Remington 5mm rifle & cartridge combination.
Jimbo

the 17 super is top performer. You might not like rimfires but t hey deliver performance with low weight
(12-30-2017, 01:27 AM)Scottman Wrote: You might not like   rimfires  but t hey deliver performance with low weight

My wording may not have correctly conveyed my sentiments.  I have always like the .22 rimfire ammunition and the guns which chamber it.  They fill a void hard to be replaced, by anything else, but the .22 rimfire "Crisis" has made me reconsider the rimfire cartridges.  If, I could replace the rimfires with a suitable center fire cartridge of comparable performance, I probably would.  I know many people who were working in that direction, but I do not know of anyone who achieved the level of success in replacing the rimfire cartridges they desired.  It is a task which is most difficult to accomplish, regardless of one's desire. 

Rimfire ammo is now back to a reasonable cost and fairly commonly found here at least, but in the back of most our minds is the nagging question:  When will it disappear again?  Possibly never, I certainly hope so.
Jimbo

How many 22 did you go through in the crisis ? What was the use ? Ammo never really disappeared there was always someone willing to sell . Also I had no trouble ever getting some flavor of rimfire from gun stores and there are alternatives . There’s more places that sell rimfire ammo here in town then that sel bulkets and primers . I never had a single problem getting 17 super at any Walmart in the “crisis “ and it offers incredible performance on its weight has some other unique advantages its in a class on its own and no time spent reloading for something that is heavier per round