Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got a question about tinder pouches...
Hey All,

This thought/question has been hanging in the back of my brain for quite some time.. I'm finally gonna put it out there..

Why are all tinder pouches made of leather, or depicted as such in history ?? Couldn't they have been possibly made of a good heavy waxed/oiled canvas ?? 

The way I see it, if a tenderfoot was just starting out and didn't have much cash, wouldn't a good canvas pouch serve them well in a pinch ?? After all, canvas was/is still used for packs and satchels to this day, right ?

Look forward to hearing(er reading) your thoughts on this...

Merry Christmas All !!
"That was the greatest shot I HAVE EVER SEEN !! "

"I was aiming for his horse !!"

- quote from "The Magnificent Seven"

"Sit tall in the saddle, Hold your head up high

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky

And live like you ain't afraid to die

And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride"

- Chris Ledoux

"You have a choice in this country.. You can be an "ameriCAN'T", or you can be an "ameriCAN".. Until my dying days and beyond I will always be, and be known as an AMERICAN !!"

The lead lemming is nothing more than the first dumb SOB to die ... Find a better critter to emulate, before you to reach the cliff !!

"Only the good die young, so I didn't go."  Zach Dunlap(pronounced braindead 4 months ago, and alive and kicking !!)

You've either gotta "nut up", or shut up !! "Zombieland"- Woody Harrelson
they most likly made there own from what ever material they had.
Tryker

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

Something made and replaced in the field. Not much canvass in the field. You had to buy the canvass, the leather was free.  Your time wasn't worth much. 

I have seen some canvass bags, and some from wool blankets,  leather is just cooler. Canvass would be a little lighter.

These days I see mostly leather, you can get more money from selling a leather bag than a canvass one.
remember what the Dormouse said

"Learn from others mistakes. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt
only issue I see with oiled canvas is the issue of the water repellant material leaching into the tinder over time..
also, have you tried linen instead of cotton for this material?