Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a good knife for a Marine?
I have a nephew who is graduating Boot Camp in February.

I'm wondering about what would be useful, as well as other things like what carry restrictions the USMC has since it would be pointless to get him something he can't carry.

Do Marines get issued the Ontario or Kabar USMC Fighting Knife or is that purchased?

I'm thinking more along the lines of a folder.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
Marine =Kabar
Live with honor, ride with truth.  Be friendly to others.  But always carry a gun on your side and a knife in your boot because there are those that do not feel the same as this.

What sort of job will he be doing after Boot Camp?. Most personnel clerks, electronic techs, supply clerks, etc don't have a lot of need for a sheath knife, and there can be prohibitions on wear with the uniform when not in an actual combat situation.

Not every marine is a stone killer even though they all pretend to be.

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

Wold a multi tool ,perhaps be more adaptive for what comes.
a armed man is his own master
crkt m16
i'm thinking a becker bk16 sheath knife AND a boker auto like the ak74.
Tryker

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes

If the golden rule says, ''Silence Is Golden'' Why is duck tape silver???

James Helm is Hoodlum Stormcrow and makes the very best knives for fighting men
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
(01-04-2018, 11:13 PM)Scottman Wrote: crkt m16

Is there a specific model of the M-16?  The types with a full guard?

I've had two, but they were from 2001-2.  My small M-16Z was OK but did not hold an edge well (typical of my experience with CRKT's AUS6) and my larger one was a M-1614 in AUS8 which was a much better knife.  They currently have some in AUS8, and some in the newer Chinese steels and even some in AUS4 which I wouldn't use considering my experience with their AUS6.

So far I'm considering a Cold Steel Voyager, Spyderco Endura or Delica, CRKT M-16, and a multitool.  I think he'll be spending most of his time in California so a fixed blade is out. 

I'm leaning towards something coated and/or stainless.  Does anyone have experience with the Voyagers in recent years in terms of rust resistance?
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
I owned a voyager plain edge clipped point.
The pocket clip broke and I lost it in a foot race with a bad guy. Angry
One time I asked Ek what he carried all over the planet and it was a Voyager folder and an Ek model 3 SF fixed blade. That is a real world of experience in that choice of cutlery. Cool
My EDC is the Benchmade AFCK advanced folding combat knife. I have carried it for ever, since they were first introduced...20 years ago? it is G-10/stainless hi carbon ATS-34 and Titanium liners with liner lock. Chris Jankowski from Toq Alaska recommended it and I got one right away and have not regretted it.
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
(01-06-2018, 02:04 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: The pocket clip broke and I lost it in a foot race with a bad guy. Angry

Well, did you catch him?

Wally
Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most.
Was that a plastic or metal clip Voyager?

I had the plastic clip on my first Endura break and Spyderco replaced the knife. The guy I talked to told me that some of them are defective and will break but the normally should not.

Years later I had the metal clip keep coming off (old 1998 style) and eventually it got lost. So far I've never had issues with the clip on the Byrd I've been carrying for a few years or the Emerson CQC-7BW I've carried since 2002.

I had a "large" Voyager tanto which I carried for maybe a year, switching between that and my Endura. I never understood why their sized are medium, large, and extra large when the "medium" should be "small." I don't know what happened to it, whether my dad, brother, or maybe even one of my sisters has it.

The new Voyagers have flat grinds, or at least they did when my sister got hers.
A few years ago recon division had Bark River design the Bravo 1 in a-2 specifically for them.  Army Infantry I talked to going to the sandbox prefer a folder. Every ounce counts. It must stay out of the way of other gear.  I have a Benchmade mini Barrage in cm154 sitting in a box looking for a home I would happily send to you.  Fixed blade?  Have you looked into a  Bradford Guardian 3 or 4??  The Bravo 1 is a tank in A-2 or 3v.   Please let me know on the folder.  Jim
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Its probably my age that makes people think I am an adult.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
(01-06-2018, 02:55 AM)wmerrin Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 02:04 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: The pocket clip broke and I lost it in a foot race with a bad guy. Angry

Well, did you catch him?

Wally

Roughed him up and cuffed him up. He had been released from city police cells 3 hours earlier...I guess he wanted to get back for supper time. Cool

(01-06-2018, 03:09 AM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: Was that a plastic or metal clip Voyager?

I had the plastic clip on my first Endura break and Spyderco replaced the knife.  The guy I talked to told me that some of them are defective and will break but the normally should not.
It was the plastic clip molded into the handle.
Because I live in Canada I didn't want to be screwed by Canada Customs so I didn't send it back.
I was going to put on a metal clip, but lost it before I got a round to it

Thinking about it...wouldn't a box of crayons be more appropriate for a marine?? Smile

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!