Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which small knife to buy and why? AG Russell
Gots a hankering for one of these itty bitty knives. Guess I just like small knives. Which one should I get?
https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russell-...-RUS-PY4CF

Speaking of small knives, I've always wanted a D-2 Dozier knife. I have a few extra bucks now and these little Doziers have me impressed.
What ya think?  Which one?  I'm leaning towards the $40 cheaper black micarta.  

https://agrussell.com/knife/Arkansas-Mad...-DK-K55HRB
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
Ihave owned several Dozier knives and in his new format he keeps his prices down by not finely polishing the blades.
D2 is a very hard steel and expect to spend time with a diamond hone. Keep it touched up rather than resharpening.
It doesn't stain easily and is just on the carbon line of the stainless 13% chromium mark. Lemon juice will give it a nice grey patina.
All Dozier knives are hollow ground I think; which is why I sold mine, no a fan of the hollow grind
They are well designed, well made , not so well finished but highly serviceable if you don't mind the hollow grind
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
You will be using it near water and carrying it next to your body so unless you plan on maintaining it stainless would be your choice of steel. An all around knife for just using on everything.  It will need to be easily sharpened. D-2 is quite stain resistant but a bugger to sharpen when allowed to get dull. cpm-154 is a great stainless user. A HUGE step up from the 154cm stuff. Pricey though.   I  would be anxious to read your reviews of the Dozier for 50 dollars. While you are at it, there is another Dozier neck knife on ebay for 12 bucks that has me curious.  Me thinks I will order one and do some of my own testing.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/KaBar-Dozier-Sk...1438.l2649       JB
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
(02-23-2018, 02:02 AM)jbarrow Wrote: You will be using it near water and carrying it next to your body so unless you plan on maintaining it stainless would be your choice of steel. An all around knife for just using on everything.  It will need to be easily sharpened. D-2 is quite stain resistant but a bugger to sharpen when allowed to get dull. cpm-154 is a great stainless user. A HUGE step up from the 154cm stuff. Pricey though.   I  would be anxious to read your reviews of the Dozier for 50 dollars. While you are at it, there is another Dozier neck knife on ebay for 12 bucks that has me curious.  Me thinks I will order one and do some of my own testing.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/KaBar-Dozier-Sk...1438.l2649       JB

You are so right about being around water. I need to part the herd into water knives and dirt/wood knives, I knew that Big Grin Tongue Big Grin

The $50 Doier doesn't exist, its only that much cheaper because of the handle.

I'm thinking bout one of em $30 thin knives now. Girfriend's court Social Security disability case wasn't good. Her description of the review board was between the Spanish Inquisition and a military Court Marshal, so funds may be much less than I thought Cry Confused Sad   Instead of hearing the results in 2 weeks as instructed, they told her 2 months before she knows if she got it or not. her lawyer wasn't too positive.
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"