Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browning Hi-Power Discontinued
Hopefully an American manufacturer will release a new version.

I don't know why it was so unknown.  Even in the 1990s most people into guns had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned it, but everybody that did know what it was loved them.  

https://www.tactical-life.com/news/brown...continued/
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
I heard the sad news, nice handgun as far as I'm concerned.

The Browning P-35 Hi-Power was/is a fantastic weapon.  I had not heard it was being discontinued.  It is sad to see such an iconic weapon dropped from manufacturing.  Plastic does not cost as much as machined steel, so manufacturing such a fine weapon is passing a point most consumers are willing to pay for one.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
I agree,it is my all time favorite 9mm.Got my first in '62 and have had one ever since.
a armed man is his own master
I would opine that lagging sales have caused the demise of this pistol.  I always thought that the Hi-Power was a bit pricey and that factor alone prevented me from acquiring one and truth be told, now that I have expendable cash from time to time for my hobby, the purchase of one has not crossed my mind.

The market nowadays has a wide variety of handguns in all manner of quality and prices.  Most of the younger guys I know are always chasing after the newest, latest, greatest thing...us old timers tend to look back at the guns and missed opportunities of our youth and proceed in that direction.

Maybe I will look for a Hi-Power at the gun show next month.

DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

To have been in continuous production for some 83 - 85 years is a pretty good track record for any single weapon.  The P-35 development was actually finalized and introduced in 1934, but the French decided against adopting the weapon after its final acceptance, however the Belgium Army did accept the New Browning Hi-Power 9mm, and added the P-35 to the nomenclature since the year of service began with, or in 1935.

I was not quite through with my previous comments, but hit reply prematurely.
Jimbo

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
I'm not sure if the price remained constant and the Glock lowered in price, or whether Glock remained constant and the BHP raised in price.

When we bought our first centerfire pistols in 1989, my dad chose the Glock 17 and I chose the Browning Hi-Power, partially based on research and partially based on how it felt in my hand. 10 years later I got a Glock, but the BHP remains my favorite pistol. Back then the parkarized BHP was $375.00 and I bought the blued version with walnut grips for $400.00, and my dad's Glock was $475.00 IIRC. My dad told me that with a little more money I could have purchased a Glock, but it wasn't about spending less money, as soon as I picked it up I knew it was the gun for me.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
I have a couple, a Canadian Inglis model and a Belgium model.

I was issued a Browning P-35 made by the Inglis Corporation of Canada, they made refrigerators for a living.
When I was told that John Browning designed the Colt 1911 then took all the things he didn't like about it and corrected them in the P35 I can believe it. Much easier to field strip and clean almost twice as many rounds and a lot of the pistoleros I knew had one.
Because IPSC designated it minor caliber, possibly due to Jeff Cooper's love of the .45acp, the 1911 was the king of competition.
Post military I bought a P-35off a fellow soldier but didn't keep it long as it had Nazi markings on it.
If I only knew what I know today!!!
If I was carrying a CC pistol for self defense today it would be a Walther in .380 acp they don't penetrate drywall as does the 9mm and .45acp. I would just wait until I saw the whites of their eyes. A .38 spl will stop a bad guy too, as the RCMP proved time and again.
Yesterday I was talking to a buddy about the P-35 and he told me they were selling for $1700.00 CDN and that is likely why they have not been selling
Still for a field sidearm the P-35 has similar power to the .357 mag and is a dream to field strip for cleaning
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
(02-24-2018, 01:23 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: Post military I bought a P-35off a fellow soldier but didn't keep it long as it had Nazi markings on it.
If I only knew what I know today!!!
Hind sight is usually much clearer than fore sight.

Early in my career, I worked with a gentleman who served in WWII and brought home a Nazi souvenir P-35 Hi-Power.  He told me many years, after the fact, he traded the P-35 for a trailer which had rusted down during the intervening years following the trade.  We were looking at the old trailers frame when he was telling me the story.  A few moments after he had finished his story, he added, "Of all the dumb things I have did, that probably was the dumbest.  I sure wish now, I had never traded away my souvenir." 

Grizz, do you reckon the soldier selling it to you might have felt the same way later?
Jimbo

Jimbo, this was when Canada was bringing in the firearms licensing and he wanted no part of it.
I still see him now and then but it hasn't come up in conversation.
I have a line on a Beretta 92 Cool in 9mm thinking of going for it.
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.