Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the beginning, it was dirt.
I still marvel each time I pick up a blade and ponder it from beginning to end. In the case of a Mora, all this takes place, it is stamped, ground, heat treated, handled, sheathed and shipped from Sweden to my door in Idaho for 15.00.  A true miracle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l7JqonyoKA
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Its probably my age that makes people think I am an adult.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
(04-07-2018, 12:48 AM)jbarrow Wrote: I still marvel each time I pick up a blade and ponder it from beginning to end. In the case of a Mora, all this takes place, it is stamped, ground, heat treated, handled, sheathed and shipped from Sweden to my door in Idaho for 15.00.  A true miracle.

I guess Morakniv hasn't heard that you already have 1- or 13 (dozen)Moras already
I call tha andAddiction Internationale my friend Cool
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
(04-07-2018, 10:26 PM)Grizzly Dave Wrote:
(04-07-2018, 12:48 AM)jbarrow Wrote: I still marvel each time I pick up a blade and ponder it from beginning to end. In the case of a Mora, all this takes place, it is stamped, ground, heat treated, handled, sheathed and shipped from Sweden to my door in Idaho for 15.00.  A true miracle.

I guess Morakniv hasn't heard that you already have 1- or 13 (dozen)Moras already
I call tha andAddiction Internationale my friend Cool

I  have been known to lose a few to good little girls and boys every now and again. I fear the addiction is real but I never seem to make it past step two in the program.

Rehab is for quitters!
Men are, that they might have joy.
(04-09-2018, 12:57 AM)thatmckenzie Wrote: Rehab is for quitters!

Oh quit it!

[Image: GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATY3ZmYAZS1...eview=True]

There's an old iron furnace not far from my house. It's the bottom one here at this link, built when John Quincy Adams was still alive and last fired in 1875. The ground, underneath the grass, is full of old bits of glassy slag, left behind after each batch of iron was born.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/dbnf/spec...ev3_032548
Men are, that they might have joy.
(04-10-2018, 07:08 AM)thatmckenzie Wrote: There's an old iron furnace not far from my house. It's the bottom one here at this link, built when John Quincy Adams was still alive and last fired in 1875.  The ground, underneath the grass, is full of old bits of glassy slag, left behind after each batch of iron was born.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/dbnf/spec...ev3_032548

Amazing!  Thanks

Just goes to prove quality can still be had for less than an arm, leg and your first born.  Smile
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
Yes I love Mora's--I've got 3... amazes me that they are so sensibly priced---and they stay sharp--- the only thing I wouldn't do is baton because they aren't full tang but for 15$ whachawant!!!!

A friend of mine--Jason--whose house we made the venison sausages recently---committed the ultimate blade sin---he took my goddamned EOTW 2016 Mora--that DD gave me and stuck it in the meat grinder to try to pry---yes PRY--as Ron said a knife is not an effing pry bar---the steel cap off---then we all heard this little thwink...and the tip is broken clean off!!!!!!! Angry Confused ...OH if he wasn't my best friend I tell ya--id have a new hide to tan! we had to dispose of about a 1/4 pound of meat too, because we couldn't find the tip of the knife....I am going to try to re do the tip-- with the GAP sharpening lesson JBarrow gave me and the sharpener he gave me...

wooo Jay got an earful from us...and a valuable lesson in blade care....the guy thinks all knives are suppose to say Made in China  hahahahah Big Grin

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
That...literally...pierces my heart.....well...guess I have to work on a replacement for MSB...yes...try to reshape it...but I am not optimistic...

Sad DD
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps!

I was teaching a group of scouts and their leaders knife safety and sharpening the other night.  I had even made 15- 4x22 leather strops on 1x4s  and treated them with black buffing compound. We discussed toughness and hardness and heat and blade geometry then the fun began.  they had been instructed to bring a blade to sharpen. China, Pakistan, Dad's favorite knife, another from Pakistan, and Mom's wood handled scout Mora from the kitchen. One leader broke out his 200 grit sharpener that he "sharpens everything with this thing".  Discussed Grit, Angle and Pressure again.  One leader had a Benchmade and a Bark  River and was very happy with the results from the strop by the end of the evening.  It was a great 1.5 hour class. We all learned at least one thing and refreshments were delicious.  JB

(04-17-2018, 02:23 AM)jbarrow Wrote: I was teaching a group of scouts and their leaders knife safety and sharpening the other night.  I had even made 15- 4x22 leather strops on 1x4s  and treated them with black buffing compound. We discussed toughness and hardness and heat and blade geometry then the fun began.  they had been instructed to bring a blade to sharpen. China, Pakistan, Dad's favorite knife, another from Pakistan, and Mom's wood handled scout Mora from the kitchen. One leader broke out his 200 grit sharpener that he "sharpens everything with this thing".  Discussed Grit, Angle and Pressure again.  One leader had a Benchmade and a Bark  River and was very happy with the results from the strop by the end of the evening.  It was a great 1.5 hour class. We all learned at least one thing and refreshments were delicious.  JB

Nice!  Cool
James Helm - Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization!

Helm Enterprises, Forging Division - http://www.helmforge.com

Helm Enterprises, Grinding Division - http://www.helmgrind.com

A collaboration with Wasteland Leatherwork: wastelandcrow.blogspot.com
(04-16-2018, 10:03 PM)ddennis2 Wrote: That...literally...pierces my heart.....well...guess I have to work on a replacement for MSB...yes...try to reshape it...but I am not optimistic...

Sad DD

Sad  I am sorry DD....it pierced my heart too....jasons not the sharpest blade in the drawer if ya catch my drift hahahah

I will try and post pics of what I could do....it was literally just the tip---the smallest piece imaginable....but still my gears were grinded....hahah Exclamation

AOC

(04-17-2018, 02:23 AM)jbarrow Wrote: I was teaching a group of scouts and their leaders knife safety and sharpening the other night.  I had even made 15- 4x22 leather strops on 1x4s  and treated them with black buffing compound. ............

Heart Big Grin  THEY ARE so lucky to have you Jim! Those kids have the best possible start in life---you literally taught me everything I know about sharpening....now do you think I can re dress the tip off my broken knife? or u think its a lost cause? anyways it matters not I will try anyways...

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(04-20-2018, 05:13 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 10:03 PM)ddennis2 Wrote: That...literally...pierces my heart.....well...guess I have to work on a replacement for MSB...yes...try to reshape it...but I am not optimistic...

Sad DD

Sad  I am sorry DD....it pierced my heart too....jasons not the sharpest blade in the drawer if ya catch my drift hahahah

I will try and post pics of what I could do....it was literally just the tip---the smallest piece imaginable....but still my gears were grinded....hahah Exclamation

AOC

(04-17-2018, 02:23 AM)jbarrow Wrote: I was teaching a group of scouts and their leaders knife safety and sharpening the other night.  I had even made 15- 4x22 leather strops on 1x4s  and treated them with black buffing compound. ............

Heart Big Grin  THEY ARE so lucky to have you Jim! Those kids have the best possible start in life---you literally taught me everything I know about sharpening....now do you think I can re dress the tip off my broken knife? or u think its a lost cause? anyways it matters not I will try anyways...

AOC

You are very kind.  take a marker and draw the profile of the tip you want.  Take a metal file, put the blade in a vise, wood on both sides to avoid marring blade, file the  tip to shape, establish edge, sharpen as needed. A dremel tool may be helpful.