Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the beginning, it was dirt.
Smile 
(04-07-2018, 12:48 AM)jbarrow Wrote: I still marvel each time I pick up a blade and ponder it from beginning to end.

Me too, steel is something of a miracle in my mind, so versatile, so abundant, so easy to work with  Smile
(04-21-2018, 03:00 AM)jbarrow Wrote: You are very kind.  take a marker and draw the profile of the tip you want.  Take a metal file, put the blade in a vise, wood on both sides to avoid marring blade, file the  tip to shape, establish edge, sharpen as needed. A dremel tool may be helpful.

Oh no my friend YOU are the kind one- and yay---so there might be hope yet! Big Grin  I will do as you say--and post a picture here as soon as its done. We have a dremel! I'll maybe just put a little water on the blade before I dremel it cuz I heard that can dystroy the heat treatment...but I don't know. I'll give it a try Jim! Thanks a million!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(04-23-2018, 07:28 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: Oh no my friend YOU are the kind one- and yay---so there might be hope yet! Big Grin  I will do as you say--and post a picture here as soon as its done. We have a dremel! I'll maybe just put a little water on the blade before I dremel it cuz I heard that can dystroy the heat treatment...but I don't know. I'll give it a try Jim! Thanks a million!

AOC

Yes, heat will absolutely destroy the heat treatment.  It can happen in a flash and it is not repairable (unless you can remove the handle, anneal it, re-harden it, and re-temper it.)  Usually beyond the ability of the average bear.

Any motorized abrasive can destroy the heat treatment.  I have re-profiled a machete tip by laying the last 1/3-1/2 of the blade in a pan of water and used a Dremel cutoff wheel on it, going slowly.  Applying a little water before grinding is not enough, IMHO.

You may set up a pan with something like a folded piece of cloth to set the blade on, and fill with enough water to cover the cloth.  Lay the blade on that.  Of course, if you have the blade UNDER the water, you will spray dat chit everywhere.

The idea is to have the blade in contact with the water so the heat can be sucked away.

If you use the vise, maybe make the stick behind the blade extend past the edge of the vise, and put a big wad of cotton between the blade and the wood.  The clamping of the vise should hold it all together.  Keep the cotton constantly soaked with cold water...

It's hard to describe in writing, because there are a lot of variables at work.  The way you're grinding (belt sander, grinding wheel, etc), the grit (finer gets hotter faster), etc.  

If it changes color, it's ruined.

jbarrow, what do you think?  Am I over thinking it?

Another option I've heard about, I've never tried it...  Stab the buffoon that broke the blade multiple times until it is sharp again.

Ooops!  Somehow Unkle Bill got in here...  Disregard...

I'd try the vice + clean sharp file first as suggested by jbarrow.
If you use power tools remember water is to prevent it heating up in the first place rather than to cool it down after it has been over heated and thin sections are the most vulnerable to overheating (points, cutting edges).
Fresh abrasives cut quicker with less heat. 
Keeping the work-piece / tool moving reduces the likelihood of heat build up in one spot.
Have fun, this exercise will add character and individuality to the knife. 
Smile
(04-23-2018, 07:28 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
(04-21-2018, 03:00 AM)jbarrow Wrote: You are very kind.  take a marker and draw the profile of the tip you want.  Take a metal file, put the blade in a vise, wood on both sides to avoid marring blade, file the  tip to shape, establish edge, sharpen as needed. A dremel tool may be helpful.

Oh no my friend YOU are the kind one- and yay---so there might be hope yet! Big Grin  I will do as you say--and post a picture here as soon as its done. We have a dremel! I'll maybe just put a little water on the blade before I dremel it cuz I heard that can dystroy the heat treatment...but I don't know. I'll give it a try Jim! Thanks a million!

AOC

I would stick with the file.

(04-23-2018, 10:27 PM)Bill Hay Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 07:28 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: Oh no my friend YOU are the kind one- and yay---so there might be hope yet! Big Grin  I will do as you say--and post a picture here as soon as its done. We have a dremel! I'll maybe just put a little water on the blade before I dremel it cuz I heard that can dystroy the heat treatment...but I don't know. I'll give it a try Jim! Thanks a million!

AOC

Yes, heat will absolutely destroy the heat treatment.  It can happen in a flash and it is not repairable (unless you can remove the handle, anneal it, re-harden it, and re-temper it.)  Usually beyond the ability of the average bear.

Any motorized abrasive can destroy the heat treatment.  I have re-profiled a machete tip by laying the last 1/3-1/2 of the blade in a pan of water and used a Dremel cutoff wheel on it, going slowly.  Applying a little water before grinding is not enough, IMHO.

You may set up a pan with something like a folded piece of cloth to set the blade on, and fill with enough water to cover the cloth.  Lay the blade on that.  Of course, if you have the blade UNDER the water, you will spray dat chit everywhere.

The idea is to have the blade in contact with the water so the heat can be sucked away.

If you use the vise, maybe make the stick behind the blade extend past the edge of the vise, and put a big wad of cotton between the blade and the wood.  The clamping of the vise should hold it all together.  Keep the cotton constantly soaked with cold water...

It's hard to describe in writing, because there are a lot of variables at work.  The way you're grinding (belt sander, grinding wheel, etc), the grit (finer gets hotter faster), etc.  

If it changes color, it's ruined.

jbarrow, what do you think?  Am I over thinking it?

Another option I've heard about, I've never tried it...  Stab the buffoon that broke the blade multiple times until it is sharp again.

Ooops!  Somehow Unkle Bill got in here...  Disregard...

I believe you are spot on Bill,  Stick with the file.     Its a Mora, Served its purpose, buy another.
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17