Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultra light
(05-08-2018, 10:12 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: Al Capone had syphilis not alkysimers.

I heard the same thing  Undecided Sick

Titanium is pretty interesting..............

"Titanium is the ninth-most abundant element in Earth's crust (0.63% by mass) and the seventh-most abundant metal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

Light weight cutlery is one of the least demanding applications IMO and unlike plastic not normally day glow orange so easier to misplace in long grass ............... there are arguments both ways.

This was true of aluminium in the past........

"The currently known processes for extracting titanium from its various ores are laborious and costly"

As these get scrapped it should get cheaper  Cool

"The former Soviet Union developed techniques for making submarines with hulls of titanium alloys forging titanium in huge vacuum tubes."
Hey titanium is not that expensive, only $7:50 to $20 for sheet titanium for a kilo.
These items for outdoor use should be cheaper.
$50 for a 4.5 ounce titanium kettle! It should be cheaper!
It is 35.27 ounces to a kilo.
So it is $2.55 for 4.4 ounces even if they pay top price of $20 a kilo of titanium.
Add on the manufacturing costs and over heads, which for aluminium is about $10, and the price of a titanium kettle should be $12.55.
NOT $50
(05-09-2018, 08:43 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: ............ a titanium kettle should be $12.55.

NOT $50

Marketing I guess Pete  Huh 

Low volume sales at high markup rather than high volume sales at low markup.
This shows an African version of ultra light  Wink

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/th...bag.17898/
The CDT passes within a mile of my house. I am planning a trek now. But my ears are not long enough to carry a pack. So I will be riding one mule and packing another.

Muleskinner
He who hesitates is lost.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

You can lead a fool to talk, but you can't make him think.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and sometimes I let her sleep.

There are damm few problems that can't be fixed, with a long handled shovel and a thirty ought six.
(05-17-2018, 07:46 PM)muleskinner Wrote: The CDT passes within a mile of my house. I am planning a trek now. But my ears are not long enough to carry a pack. So I will be riding one mule and packing another.

Muleskinner

Ha!  Good one...  Please take some pics so we can all enjoy the trip, too.

So good to see you around again, my friend...  Have you moved to your property in my state yet?

Bill