Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what Revolver (s ) do you conceal carry?
Where do you carry it/them? what model? whats your build and dress like? Can you operate it with mitts?

pics?
(08-08-2018, 10:13 PM)Scottman Wrote: Where do you carry it/them? what model? whats your build and dress like? Can you operate it with mitts?

pics?

Stainless Ruger Security Six, three inch barrel, fixed sights. I carry it in an old thumb break holster, behind my right hip. Medium build.  It is double action greased lighting, anything from rattlesnakes, to white tailed deer.
He who hesitates is lost.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

You can lead a fool to talk, but you can't make him think.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and sometimes I let her sleep.

There are damm few problems that can't be fixed, with a long handled shovel and a thirty ought six.
MS, what ammo have you found to the best, for you?

Used to carry a Ruger GP100 4 inch barrel, medium build.
(09-10-2018, 11:55 PM)Bill Hay Wrote: MS, what ammo have you found to the best, for you?

For factory ammo I like a 158 gr JHP. For reloads I like a 158 gr Keith style semi wad cutter. I haven't purchased any factory ammo in twenty five years.

Muleskinner

There are damm few problems that can't be fixed, with a long handled shovel and a thirty ought six.
(09-12-2018, 01:49 PM)muleskinner Wrote: For factory ammo I like a 158 gr JHP. For reloads I like a 158 gr Keith style semi wad cutter. I haven't purchased any factory ammo in twenty five years.

Muleskinner

Cool  Cool--none in 25 years!!? freaking unreal!

I cant wait to get into re loading my own ammo for my .44 mag rifle!!! My uncle's going to teach me...I've amassed 400 empty brass so far

I always fantasize about what I might concealed carry....because disgracefully, disgustingly, dumbass-ery--we dont have that right (to CC or stand our ground) in Canyuckia.......

sad and sullen sigh Sad foolish ....AF....

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(09-12-2018, 11:01 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: I've amassed 400 empty brass so far

Be very careful with spent brass.  You have no idea what its history is.  Brass that has been loaded real hot, brass that has been reloaded multiple times, especially magnum brass, can become brittle and can split when fired.  Really no idea which ones are going to blow up in your face, even if loaded moderately.  Brass picked up on the range is always suspect.

I can't say how to test brass to see if they are safe, I don't think there is any way.

When I went into reloading, I read everything I could on the subject and approached it very, very cautiously.

Ruger Security Six, Stainless, strong hip pancake, maybe 30 years ago I learned to use Factory ammo in every firearm I carry concealed, Speer Lawman or GOLD DOT® HANDGUN PERSONAL PROTECTION
(0.14
Hollow Point
357 Magnum
20 in a box
4 Vented

Smith&Wesson model 640, easy to throw into a coat pocket for when you figure everything is safe and ok, but still the world sometimes surprises you (same ammo as above or 357 Magnum 80gr Glaser Blue)

Edited to add Size and Build, 6'2" 270 pounds, was big and strong 30's and 40's, at 63 an old fat man.
Andre Dumouchel

Having My Name and Living in Texas, it is simply assumed that I will Eat Anything and have Primitive Skills.

(Some Women like a Fella that has Primitive Skills!)

(Some Men Too, and That's Ok!)

Stupidity can be painful, and fun to watch from time to time.
(09-12-2018, 11:52 PM)Bill Hay Wrote: I can't say how to test brass to see if they are safe, I don't think there is any way.

Knowing it's history has been my rule, so buying new - factory ammo or empty cases.   Shy

I started reloading when I was 12YO - still got all my bits (knock on wood) Tongue
(09-12-2018, 11:52 PM)Bill Hay Wrote:
(09-12-2018, 11:01 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: I've amassed 400 empty brass so far

Be very careful with spent brass.  You have no idea what its history is.  Brass that has been loaded real hot, brass that has been reloaded multiple times, especially magnum brass, can become brittle and can split when fired.  Really no idea which ones are going to blow up in your face, even if loaded moderately.  Brass picked up on the range is always suspect.

I can't say how to test brass to see if they are safe, I don't think there is any way.

When I went into reloading, I read everything I could on the subject and approached it very, very cautiously.

WOW...shit Bill! I didn't know ANY of that--but fear not for me, I mean its all brass that I bought, fired and then picked up! Cool  it's not some "strange" brass I picked up on side of the highway hee hee!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(09-17-2018, 07:24 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: WOW...shit Bill! I didn't know ANY of that--but fear not for me, I mean its all brass that I bought, fired and then picked up! Cool  it's not some "strange" brass I picked up on side of the highway hee hee!

AOC

Very good!

Brass stretches after shooting. Inspect length and thickness and adjust before reloading.
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Its probably my age that makes people think I am an adult.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
(09-17-2018, 10:34 PM)jbarrow Wrote: Brass stretches after shooting. Inspect length and thickness and adjust before reloading.

Ok good to know JB. I have a bunch of experienced older guys (one is a collector and instructor; use to have a gun shop), and the one I got my gun from, has been doing his own re loading for 30 years...they say they will teach me the tricks of the trade and safety, once I go get all the equipment..I need special dies and a machine of some sorts....

I keep meaning to go buy it, but there ain't enough time! Its like there is so much I want to do and SO little time and money for it! Between the bow and arrow building and the survival board game and work and home and trying to get out and camp....my god...I am what Curtis would have called busier than a 1 legged man at an ass kicking competition....

not complaining at all---on the contrary--my life is full of amazing things...but just wish I could do more! Starting a backyard forge, more flintknapping, making a dug out canoe, leather clothing, more braintanning, adventure trips ect are all things id like to do before croaking!

AOC

(09-18-2018, 06:47 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: Its like there is so much I want to do and SO little time and money for it! 

That's universal AOC, but as Curly said...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1uOqRb0HU
All of the above is good information. I have over one thousand rounds of .44 mag brass, that has been in nearly constant use since the 1980's, when it shows signs of splitting I throw it away. In my Redhawk I have split brass clear down to the rim, with no damage to the gun. All I have ever used for powder is Unique, and I know how it acts.

When I carried my 3in Redhawk every day for protection, I loaded 10gr of Unique behind a 240gr hard cast Keith style bullet. I loaded this in .44 special brass, because it is shorter and clears the cylinder when you hit the plunger. Making for very fast reloads, with speed loaders. Please do not copy any of my loads in anything other than a Ruger Redhawk in good condition. Those light weight toy Smith's simply won't hold up. Oh, hell did I just say that out loud?