Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.338WM - DS
Hi Dave,

I don't seem to have access to reply to your thread, so I've imported the text below here. Confused

Personally I'm not so keen on Savage as a brand, but the .338WM is never a mistake......especially where you intend to go Shy

GD question - am I one of the loonies?

DS reply - probably no more so than the rest of us Tongue

Link to previous post in "Weapons FAQ":

http://forum.hoodswoods.net/showthread.php?tid=49883

Copy of text:

.338 Win Mag - Grizzly Dave - 08-09-2018 

After I returned from African and had harvested my Kudu, Gemsbok, Springbok and Impala all with a .30-06 I decided all the game I would take in future I could also do with a .30-06 and my Kimber in .300 Win. Mag. was the first to go, then my .338 Win. Mag. in SS Tikka T3. I didn't plan on heading to the Stikine/ Spatsizi plateaus again so a .30-06 would likely do me fine, no Grizzlies or polar bears in my future and I certainly can't afford Africa in the near future....a rich sugar-momma not withstanding of course.
My big fat mouth got me in trouble again.
A bunch of mechanics at work were telling hunting stories and stupidly, I mentioned the Stikine and the moose we took out of there as well as Caribou and Goats etc.
Bad move Grizzly Dave...now they want me to go along with them and show them the area.
At the very same time there was a letter to the editor in a gunrag stating that the man's family had bought some property in Colorado so they could elk hunt. He said the over 200 elk they had taken from that area with rifles from 243-300RUM. He said they all died if hit in the boiler room but it was a matter of how far you had to track the wounded elk...with one exception the .338 Win. Mag. which he stated resulted in the elk taking a step or two then down as if poleaxed.
I recalled the mooses (Plural) I had shot with a .338 and the mountain goat and all were dead with one shot in place except one moose  went 50 feet after a frontal shot and the goat did the quick one step over the edge of the cliff. I also recalled the time I was hunting the McKay River near Quesnel British Columbia with a .270 Featherweight Winchester, just like Jack O'Connor..... and came across fresh Grizzly pie in a willow thicket  which kicked in the pucker factor of only having a .270.

HMMMMMM sez I, me thinks mayhap I acted in haste in limiting my magnum capabilities.

Looking around I could only find a .338 in a Savage 116 Weather Warrior and after a bit of research...all positive, I traded a rifle and some cash for a brand new Savage with a Weaver scope as a package deal. I swapped the Weaver onto my .270 and put the 3X9 Leupould from the .270 onto the .338. After all O'Conner did use Weavers on his .270s if you follow the pattern of my manic thoughts.
Next Monday or Tuesday I will be at the range before it gets too hot and see if I can sight them both in ...or at least the .338.
Some folks say a .30-06 can do it all and they are right. Grancel Fitz did it before WWII. ... but it's those rare occasions when not every thing is going as planned that it could possibly let you down. Elmer Keith designed the .338 win. Mag. for a specific reason and that was to drop big and / or dangerous game and it works.
I have had six Grizzly encounters in one day and it certainly demands all of your senses especially the sow with two yearling cubs at 52 yards. That took some fast talking. [Image: confused.png]..backed up by a .338 if needed.
So on September 26th I head for the Stikine/Spatsizi area again and like Sean Connery I must never say never again. [Image: rolleyes.png] 

RE: .338 Win Mag - ddennis2 - 08-09-2018 

If regrets over getting rid of guns were loonies, I would need another safe to store them!

Good luck on your hunt, photo's please as well as a complete trip report. Moose and elk are two of my favorite meals.

DD 

RE: .338 Win Mag - Grizzly Dave - 08-10-2018 

am I one of the loonies?  
I didn't like Savage either but all reports were positive
I am still out on the trigger but I'll get back with a report.
I am not sure if I want to put out the dough for a Timney for a Savage
I hope to have good news after I come out of the Mountains, hopefully laden with dead critters.
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
(08-12-2018, 01:49 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: I hope to have good news after I come out of the Mountains, hopefully laden with dead critters.

I hope you do too, best of luck  Shy
I put a timney in my sporterized enfield after glass bedding it. What a difference!
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
(08-12-2018, 01:49 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: I didn't like Savage either but all reports were positive
I am still out on the trigger but I'll get back with a report.
I am not sure if I want to put out the dough for a Timney for a Savage

Griz, your statement about the Savage trigger, was very interesting.  It seems you & I are the only two individuals which are not "in-love" with the Savage 'Accu-trigger.'

I very much wish to hear you thoughts, feeling and impressions of about & with the Savage trigger, following the hunt.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
I am heading out on Tuesday to the range to sight in the Savage Jim and I will post after that.
Years ago I used to shoot with several city police members and one had a Savage L/H with an accutriger and my first impression on shooting it was "Why?'
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
(08-15-2018, 10:13 PM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: one had a Savage L/H with an accutriger and my first impression on shooting it was "Why?'
I am old enough, I guess change comes slowly, especially where aesthetics are involved.  Yet I have learned to realize and enjoy the benefits some change has brought about. 

Friends with the new accu-trigger, have all told me, "Try it, you will like it!" 

Ruger is now manufacturing and employing a similar set-up on many of their rifles, so like it or not, it appears to be the 'future.'

Wishing you a fun day of great shooting at the range, Griz.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
Thanks Jimbo
I have a Ruger 10-22 International that I hope to sight in when the .338 is cooling down. Idea