Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall trips this year
Well I have only one hobby.....hunting
I do not watch or play organized sports, golf, waterski, own a boat or anything other than hunting stuff.
This fall, my youngest niece decided to wed her beau in the middle of the start of hunting season...I should slap my brother for raising a child that would do such a thing. Dodgy
Valkyrie and I decided to fly and save a day or three and stay there for a week or so. My brother redeemed himself by suggesting we go hunting after the wedding for a few days while Valkyrie visits her old girl friends. This will be an easy hunt. I am borrowing a rifle cuz its a PITA to fly with a gun. So I just have to pack my hunting clothes, a sleeping bag and my pocket knife and binoculars.
We will hunt the headwaters of the Crooked River north of Prince George B.C. which flows into the Peace River, then the McKenzie and into the Arctic Ocean then work our way west toward the Rockies and the head waters of the Fraser River which flows into the Pacific Ocean...a real diverse pair of watersheds. We are after Moose, Caribou and Black Bear.
I will let you all know how it turns out
Then We fly back home and a few days later we will take the trucks this time and a bunch of friends and I are headed to the Stikine Plateau.
More to come....
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
(08-29-2018, 11:09 PM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: More to come....

Can't wait to hear, best of luck .......... Shy

(08-29-2018, 11:09 PM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: Well I have only one hobby.....hunting

I do get the impression there are some pretty significant sub-categories under that broad heading Dave,  as is the case with most of us Rolleyes
Following closely
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Its probably my age that makes people think I am an adult.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
Oh Grizzly! sounds like a dream hunting trip, BC is wild! I will be following this thread closely Big Grin

yes it IS a PITA to fly with a gun here in Canyuck yuck land......apparently our beloved Jr.....is kicking around the idea of a total handgun as well as errr ummm uhhhh "assault" rifle ban....so hopefully our hunting rifles will be safe from the man.

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(08-29-2018, 11:09 PM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: Well I have only one hobby.....hunting
I do not watch or play organized sports, golf, waterski, own a boat or anything other than hunting stuff.
That sounds like a real HE-man.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
Hey I read that a set of black bear claws sells for $150 to $250 a set.
That would buy a few bottles of Bombay Sapphire Dave.
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."
Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."
Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery

“Steady Monty. you cant speak to me like that. I'm you boss."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Remember gentlemen it is not just France we are fighting for, it's champagne."
Churchill 

(08-31-2018, 09:14 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: Hey I read that a set of black bear claws sells for $150 to $250 a set.
That would buy a few bottles of Bombay Sapphire Dave.

I don't think you are allowed to sell wildlife parts without a permit unless you are a native with a Status Card registering you with the Depat. of Indian Affairs. They seem to be able to do lots of things that taxpayers can't Rolleyes

Christine;
The taxpayers forked over a billion dollars plus the last time the Liberals registered long arms. I think that fiasco is too fresh to put up with it again, especially when we were forced to buy out Kinder Morgan and go into the oil delivery business that failed before it got off the bargaining table.
Jr. seems to believe the taxpayer's pockets are as deep as his daddy's were when he asked for his allowance.
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
Just use an Indian agent Dave to sell them.
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

(09-01-2018, 04:49 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: Just use an Indian agent Dave to sell them.

Can't Pete it's too complicated to explain. It involves the wildlife act Dodgy

The trip to Prince George will be easy as far as gear goes.
The wedding is to be western/cowboy themed and blue jeans, boots a western shirt and vest with a Stetson is the style of the day. I do not think chaps and spurs are welcome. (DD2 I hope that answers your questions). My brother wants me to bring my fringed moose-hide Metis jacket, but it is quite heavy, so I am undecided.
I am borrowing one of the family rifles so I will have only to bring my pocket knife, hunting boots, Carhart's pants, a wool shirt, insulated vest and coat and my Swazi Tahr jacket...and of course my Stetson and maybe a ball cap.
If you have never heard of Swazi , of New Zealand, check them out on line. The Tahr is designed by Davey Hughes, an ex-animal control hunter... for Hunters and is the best I have ever found. If you have seen Ray Mears rain coat he uses one. One of the drivers who works for me , who used to play on the same soccer team as Davey told me about these a number of years ago and they are simply the best.
My pocket knife is a Tidicotte UnXld single 4" locking jackknife with Jigged bone handles, a gift from my Australian friend Tony Taylor. Tony wrote a beautiful book titled "Fishing the River of Time" I believe it is available still, on line and has been likened to Walden and Henry David Thoro.
My leather belt pouch made in Telkwa, Northern British Columbia, holds four extra bullets for the rifle as well as fire makings, a Silva Hunter's compass a small whet stone and some bandaids and super glue for closing wounds. I had to use super glue years ago to close a gash in my hand up on the Stikine, where we are going later in the year. Make sure you don't glue your hands together while administering the glue to the wound...like I did Rolleyes ... A couple of fire starting items completes the pouch/ kit.
I have my trusty old day pack of canvas and leather, which has traveled the world with me. I will have my Woods Brand down mummy bag in it and paracord and a Silnylon tarp in case I get caught out late and have to make what is called a Siwash camp up here. Townshend-Whelen hunted British Columbia and referenced Siwash camps in his book "On Your Own in the Wilderness" which he co-authored with Bradford Angier... (most experts say that Whelen did most of the authoring without too much co-authoring)
Binoculars are almost as important than the rifle and for 25-30  years I have used 8X38 Aimpoint roof prisms, black armour coated and individual occular focusing lenses. When Wholesale Sports threw in the towel last year, I picked up some 10X40 Steiner roof prism, center focus binoculars from Austria at a swell price. I have not used them yet and the Prince George trip will help me decide which binocs to take to the Stikine.
A change of underwear, a toothbrush and a couple of pairs of wool socks and the rest is superfluous and so left at home.
When I get back I will likely moan a bit about all the things I left behind...and the superfluous items that snuck into my pack at the last minute....you know how that is...But for now this is the plan. Cool

(09-03-2018, 01:10 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: If you have never heard of Swazi , of New Zealand, check them out on line. The Tahr is designed by Davey Hughes, an ex-animal control hunter... for Hunters and is the best I have ever found. If you have seen Ray Mears rain coat he uses one. One of the drivers who works for me , who used to play on the same soccer team as Davey told me about these a number of years ago and they are simply the best. Cool

I concur Dave, simply the best - I've met Davey, he is the real deal & his gear reflects the extreme mountain climate on the south island - all made in NZ.

https://www.swazi.co.nz/mens

My family all benefit from my 20 YO cast offs that are as good as new, but for some obscure reason don't seem fit me anymore Huh

(09-03-2018, 01:10 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: .......... for now this is the plan. 

Approved  Shy Tongue
You certainly have some expensive gear Dave.
A wool shirt! I can never find them now.
What hunting boot will you take?
I was tempted yesterday to buy pair of Timberland boots here in Lao. They were down to $30 Canadian, from $70, however the biggest they had was 9.5 and too small for me.
I still have a monocular that I used to use to identify locomotive numbers in the US.
Very tough. Very good. Very Russian – made of metal.
Will you use a form sleeping pad?

.jpg   small-russian-monocular_360_8942befa0b6a2e64af787c80aa14c557.jpg (Size: 14.43 KB / Downloads: 5)
Martin Crane

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Churchill 

Love the gear list. You have met some amazing people in your journeys. I list you as one of mine.
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Its probably my age that makes people think I am an adult.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
(09-03-2018, 10:31 PM)jbarrow Wrote: Love the gear list. You have met some amazing people in your journeys.  I list you as one of mine.

I consider you a good friend Jim and a kindred spirit, knife-nut-o-holic

I hope people enjoy this offering, meant to share an adventure or two with folks who for one reason or another find themselves not able to go to some of these amazing places. I have been blessed over the years to have access to some remote, rugged and beautiful places and thought I might share with my Hoodlum Family

A couple of wardrobe changes, for this first hunt. It was my anniversary yesterday 24 years married to the same woman, I guess because no one tipped her off. I am very lucky in that aspect of my life, she supports my Gypsy DNA and she is independent enough to lokk after things when I am gone roving. Anyhow she was talking about a Swedish fishing rod she saw and I mentioned we were about 20-30 minutes from Cabella's so off we went.
It turned out they had no Swedish fishing poles, but they did have a couple of items in the  Bargain Cave that fit my lurking hulk a wind proof hooded jacket in wetland cam and fleece pants in Cabella's multi/hazey cam of some sort. The wetland cam is likely not apropos to big game hunting, but I just hope the mooses didn't get that email.
I also looked at chest packs for binoculars, but didn't like the price. But...I found a chest caddy in the flyfishing department that fit my 10X Steiners just snug.  I had to change around some straps to make it hang more comfortable but I thiit's gudnuff and way less bulky then the two Badlands offerings. I got away with all three items for under $100.

My boots are Danner Pronghorns, they have goretex and thinsulate. Where I live hunting apparel is a fashion statement year round but I find if I keep my hunting boots for strictly hunting, they last for years. My work boots are Danners also and they are on their 4th or 5th sole and still look good. I tell everyone they weren't properly broken in until the 2nd or 3rd re-sole. I am not sure if they will be all right to wear to the wedding, but my wife thinks she can fit my Tony Lamas in her suitcase so I don't look too red kneck.
I have warmer weather boots by the Russell Moccasinssin company, but they have canvas tops like jungle boots and are not in the slightest consideration even water resistant, so I'll stick with the Danners. My lovely wife, Valkyrie bought me a pair of wool socks of Alpaca wool at the local country fall fair and they are definitely going on the trip.
I have most of my stuff packed even though we don't fly for a week, but I wanted to make sure everything fit in my two allowed baggage items not including my man-purse which will have my camera (Not found yet) and my binoculars. My rucksack is my carry on bag and I have one of those rolly cases on wheels that has a collapsible handle, which has my hunting duds and pocket knife for check in luggage.

That's it for now kids

Grizzly

(08-31-2018, 09:55 PM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: Christine;
The taxpayers forked over a billion dollars plus the last time the Liberals registered long arms. I think that fiasco is too fresh to put up with it again, especially when we were forced to buy out Kinder Morgan and go into the oil delivery business that failed before it got off the bargaining table.
Jr. seems to believe the taxpayer's pockets are as deep as his daddy's were when he asked for his allowance.

haha yes we can hope Canadians wont be that gullible again but history repeats and repeats....I did feel good when the 2 RCMP officers were found guilty for using that registry (that they pinky promised would never be used to violate legal gun owners rights) to break into homes and seize lawful guns during the Alberta floods!

Rolleyes Jr. already got paid by KM, so he needs to at least ensure it LOOKS like the pipeline is getting built..... too bad daddy isn't here to bail him out again! But the trust fund lives on!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan