Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall trips this year
Dave,

An adventure is a wreck, that you manage to live through.

Can I get in your will? Your wife won't need all of that stuff when you are gone.

Muleskinner,
He who hesitates is lost.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

You can lead a fool to talk, but you can't make him think.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and sometimes I let her sleep.

There are damm few problems that can't be fixed, with a long handled shovel and a thirty ought six.
(09-12-2018, 02:03 PM)muleskinner Wrote: Can I get in your will? Your wife won't need all of that stuff when you are gone.

You know there's a queue ?? Tongue
I am back home now and the two trips went well
on Sept 12 my wife and I flew to Prince George and stayed with my Niece Ingrid and her Husband Wyatt. There were high emotions around the wedding plans, so I steered clear as much as possible.
The wedding was on the Saturday and I managed to take in a gun show in the morning and still be on time for the wedding which went as well as can be expected for an outside wedding.
The following day Wyatt and I as well as my nephew Conrad and his friend Walter went west to the Pelican Lake road, expertly dodging the wedding gift opening etc.
We set up camp and at 5:30 am everyone was up...except Conrad who had a wakeful night.
Out of camp by 6am and moose down by 06:30 a big bull 7X7 and 850-900 pounds.
We dragged Conrad out of his sleeping bag and he helped to get it out of the bush. I started the field dressing to show the guys what needed to be done, then stood back and instructed so that they got the idea of what needed to be done. It was Wyatt's second moose and the other tow had never had to get a moose out of the mountains before.

I flew out with Disa a couple of days later and had three days before I headed out for the Stikine Plateau with four other friends.
One other hunter had experience enough to know what to do, but the other three were newcomers.
It took two days to get in the bush and third day was setting up camp with two wall tents and a separate kitchen. We were in Dene country and they mentioned there were a lot of Grizzlies around this year.
I strained my back setting up camp and was out of the running for another two days, but on the fourth day James shot a nice 600 pound Caribou bull. He and Kevin the other experienced hunter field dressed it and Kevin and I showed them how to skin and quarter a big animal.
The next day I was able to get out and decided to drive to some nearby lakes. I took Dave who is a none-hunter and was along with his son Jeff who is a new hunter and had a limited entry tag for a big bull. Jeff went down Thutade lake with Kevin and James who are also younger men and they all worked well together.
Dave and I called at several lakes but did not get a single bull to take any interest in us. We hauled some firewood back to camp so the fuel we used was not a total loss.
We ate well and several of the wives had prepared such things as Spaghetti sauce and muffins for us. I had hoped to lose weight on this trip but that didn't work out. A few grouse and fresh fish added wild culinary touches to the menu thanks to a shot gun and a couple of fly rods.
Kevin, James and I all had .338 Win. Mag rifles and Jeff had a .30-06 a Tikka, a Savage 116 , a Ruger M-77 and a Parker Hale respectively. The shotgun was a Mossberg 500 pump 12ga
On the fifth day the lake was fogged in so Dave and I took one truck and Kevin, James and Jeff took the other. We went east they went west. Around noon, Dave and I dropped a tree for firewood and split it before stacking it on the truck. On the way back to camp, we bumped into the young men who had a big bull on the back of the truck that was over a thousand pounds live weight. It was a spectacular first moose for Jeff. We all headed back to camp and skinned, quartered and hung the quarters on a meat pole separate from the caribou as there was too much weight for the one pole.
The next day James and Kevin went off to the same lake they had shot the moose in, to see if a satellite bull was hanging around the cow. Dave, Jeff and I went up high to look for caribou and in spite of my tender age I was able to climb up to about 5,000 ft ASL and saunter around and in spite of not finding Caribou the views of the Rockies almost 100 miles to the east, were well worth the climb
The following day some other hunter's came into camp and one said he would see me at the gun show at the end of the month. It was then that I realized it was my friend Bill who had spearheaded the Canadian Military Sniper program. I knew he hunted in British Columbia every fall but didn't expect to see him on the Stikine Plateau. Tongue   How cool is that? Cool

James, a new hunter was missing his family as was Jeff and now that they had meat, they wanted to go home. Dave was there to support his son, but Kevin and I wanted to stay. In the end due to the inexperience in wilderness travel of the other three, Kevin and I opted to stick together as a group and we all drove home together, delivering about 1100 pounds of meat to our butcher.

We had a lot of gear so I can't list it all but I will mention a few items.
My woods three star down bag was extremey warm but I could detect the smell of cat pee every now and then but it wasn't until I got home and disconnected the liner from the bag that I learned that our cat who went a little bonkers toward the end of hr life, had indeed peed on my sleeping bag. Dodgy  Three washings fixed it, but no more cats for us, they be crazy!!!
When sighting in our .338s, Kevin and I both opted to put muzzle breaks on to reduce felt recoil and although I did not shoot an animal this trip, the sighting in group was less than and inch at 100 yrds and it kicked like a .308.
My knives on this trip were a Tidicotte single blade lockblade and an antique Deweese pattern knife from Imperial Knives, which I picked up in St. Regis Montana when returning from the last EOTW gathering in Salmon ID...both worked very well
Three of the other guys used the replaceable blade knives and they seemed okay but hard to clean
Dave the non-hunter had a CRK&T M-16 which he used as well as a custom made utility hunter, which I did not see him use.
The tents were heated with wood stoves and kept so that the temperature was above freezing and the outside temperature was about -17o Cel at around 4 am when I took a pee and stoked the stove. In the mornings we opened the damper and it would get up to 70o in a few minutes. The clothes on clotheslines above the stove would always dry overnight.
My clothing was a combination of KIUI, Cabellas and Columbia and it all worked well. There was no real odor retention even though I only had one shower after the moose was quartered. But I used baby wipes to was my pits, groin and butt area every day.
The Area we were hunting was accessible by vehicle but quite remote. It was 450 Km from the paved road, no cel service and medical was almost a day away. Not a place for the average city fellow. The Country is spectacular and even though I have been several times I do not get tired of it. Natives are friendly but are becoming more involved with contacting hunters and have a Resources Manager, who is non-Native but has a PHD in resource Management. He recorded and contacted all persons hunting in the area and ensured they were registered with the band office.
Hope this gives some idea of the pleasures of a remote wilderness hunt and is of use to y'all

Griz
Hopefully the S won't HTF and I pray every day that it won't. It would not be fun.

I have a high art..I wound with cruelty, all who wound me...Archillocus; 650 B.C.
(10-14-2018, 12:36 AM)Grizzly Dave Wrote: Hope this gives some idea of the pleasures of a remote wilderness hunt and is of use to y'all

Griz

It did, I'm green with envy Dodgy

..........but thanks Dave, great report Smile