Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presidential Text
Just out of curiosity, How many here received a text message from President trump, when the well publicized text occurred?

I do not know a single person who owns a cell phone locally which received the text message.  I am not complaining, but just had an e-mail about the Presidential text, which said 'most' Americans received his text.  Maybe most did, so I am curious to know if this little corner of the world was the only place not receiving his text.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(12-19-2018, 02:22 AM)Jimbo Wrote: Just out of curiosity, How many here received a text message from President trump, when the well publicized text occurred?

I do not know a single person who owns a cell phone locally which received the text message.  I am not complaining, but just had an e-mail about the Presidential text, which said 'most' Americans received his text.  Maybe most did, so I am curious to know if this little corner of the world was the only place not receiving his text.

what was it suppose to be about? a weather alert?

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(12-21-2018, 01:51 AM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: what was it suppose to be about? a weather alert?

It was supposed to be a nationwide test of the Presidential alert system - the first, if I remember right. It is a telephone system users are not supposed to be able to disable.  I don't think I received it.

Wally
Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most.
Correct, it was designed as a test of the new nation-wide FEMA alert or contact system.
Jimbo

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(12-21-2018, 04:08 AM)wmerrin Wrote:
(12-21-2018, 01:51 AM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote: what was it suppose to be about? a weather alert?

It was supposed to be a nationwide test of the Presidential alert system - the first, if I remember right.  It is a telephone system users are not supposed to be able to disable.  I don't think I received it.

Wally

Ooh I see thanks....seems a good idea--these are trying times we live in, alerts are always good--even if we dont follow them.
(12-22-2018, 12:00 AM)Jimbo Wrote: Correct, it was designed as a test of the new nation-wide FEMA alert or contact system.

FEMA eh...yeesh Rolleyes

when I get the message to proceed to the nearest FEMA camp, I'll take that as my que to head deep north...away from that...the camps with the railroad tracks and stockpile of body bags seem more like prisons than refugia...

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
I got one.

I think they are designed to replace the alerts on TV since fewer people watch live TV these days.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
(12-22-2018, 06:25 PM)Benjamin Liu Wrote: I think they are designed to replace the alerts on TV since fewer people watch live TV these days.

I believe so, and cell phones seem to come pre-configured for all sorts of alerts - Amber Alerts, Silver Alerts, Weather Alerts and who knows what other alerts..  Out-of-area alerts are annoying but common so those can be disabled by the user but the Presidential (FEMA) Alerts can not.  It is supposed to be used only in case of true nationwide emergency plus scheduled and well-publicized tests.

Wally
Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most.
The EAS (Emergency Alert System) replaced the previous EBS (Emergency Broadcast System) which in turn was a replacement for the older CONELRAD System. 

The EAS is designed to allow the President to contact and speak directly to every American, at least those with a cell phone and those cell phones receiving his messages, in the case of a national emergency.  The new EAS has been used in its test mode twice, the latest of which occurred November 8, 2018 at 12:30 p.m. EDT.  I don't know anyone around our area which was contacted during either test of the system.  We have had cell phones since the mid-80's and this latest system was placed into service January 1, 1997.  Obviously there are still a lot of kinks to be worked out, just for all cell phone owners to receive the EAS alerts.
Jimbo