Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folding saws
Folding saws, What is your preference?  How Big, what  brand, what is your experience?  What do you carry into the woods??
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Its probably my age that makes people think I am an adult.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17
For when I might need a saw its a Silky, either a pocketboy or a super accel 210 depending on pack size.
If it's for sure I'll need a saw its a 24" Bob Dustrude folding bucksaw.

All are phenomenal saws and well worth carrying.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. ---Robert Heinlein

Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shooting stuff-Bob the Nailer
My planned trip last Fall was a no go, but what I did get was a hand saw, a silky Pruning saw. Didn't try it out but people loved it on YouTube, much more than any folding saw.

I have a triangle Sven. It works but is too flimsy. The Bob Dustrude saw is liked by many but you can do better currently. I have one that is unused. If I can find it in my junk pile of gear, its yours. Work has been kicking my ass for a while. No time to even fart!
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
I have used a number of different 'cheap' folding saws and most of them were what I considered 'single trip use' saws, possibly two trips if not used much.

I had a tree surgeon doing some work for me and had a Silky 270-33 Zubat Professional Curved Blade Hand Saw with Scabbard among his other tools and after watching him use the Silky, I asked him about it when he was taking a break.  He highly recommended the Silky based on their blade life, cutting ability and ease of use. 

I have one now, I have used some 3 - 4 years when & as needed.  They are not 'cheap' but I have not been disappointed, with the Silky's performance.  Admittedly the 270-33 is not a folding saw, but it is used in the same manner and for basically the same purpose as prior folding saw have been used, with the one exception much larger limbs & saplings have been removed using the Silky, and it is still going strong!  Smile
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(12-28-2018, 11:59 PM)Jimbo Wrote: I have used a number of different 'cheap' folding saws and most of them were what I considered 'single trip use' saws, possibly two trips if not used much.

I had a tree surgeon doing some work for me and had a Silky 270-33 Zubat Professional Curved Blade Hand Saw with Scabbard among his other tools and after watching him use the Silky, I asked him about it when he was taking a break.  He highly recommended the Silky based on their blade life, cutting ability and ease of use. 

I have one now, I have used some 3 - 4 years when & as needed.  They are not 'cheap' but I have not been disappointed, with the Silky's performance.  Admittedly the 270-33 is not a folding saw, but it is used in the same manner and for basically the same purpose as prior folding saw have been used, with the one exception much larger limbs & saplings have been removed using the Silky, and it is still going strong!  Smile

That sounds like the saw I have but I bought the biggest version from Canadian prepper, I think his name is. Cabellas has some of those saws at better prices but for selection go to Canada. A couple places there. There are expensive saws, but seem to be a good investment. The YouTube "Outdoor gear review" guy has a good folder like the Sawvivor, etc. he likes very much. I would get that one if I had to have a compact saw.

Lotta folks like the Zubat type Silkys over the compact Silky folders on YouTube. A cardboard sheath can shave many ounces off those saws. There are many models to choose from.
Message of Insight and Unity 

We go into the wilderness to fulfill our hearts and empty our minds of life's garbage.
The gear we leave behind and the challenges we encounter, 
Are methods we use to cleanse our spirits.
Of Survivalists and Bushcrafters, Primitive Technologists too, we are one.........

It is the wilderness within, we strive for first and always.
Not everyone can have a cabin in the mountains.
The thread that connects us, is fine like silk and strong as steel.
Together, the song of the wilderness is the song we sing!

"And can I say something else?"
Bushcrafting is "doing what you want to do." 
Survival is "doing what you have to do"
Primitive Technology is about all of the above........

By TNRR aka "Survival Sully"
I have this one: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/folding-collaps...1898134430

I don't remember where i got it, but i have used the hell out of it. Replaceable blades are easy to come by (same size as a smaller bow saw blade)

I was looking for it on amazon, but can't find it there. Think i got it at a local sporting good store a decade ago. 

Dan
"For in order to find that utter peace, the ripple would have to return to the ocean, dissolve back into radiant infinity, forget itself and remember the absolute. But to do so, the ripple would have to die-it would have to accept the death of its separate self sense. And it is terrified of this."

Ken Wilber
I have three different sizes of the buck/bow saw frames and yes the blades are easy to obtain, and the frames seem to be well built, but the blades dull very quickly for me.  If one could easily re-sharpen them like a chain saw's chain, that would make them more popular with me.  I know they can be re-sharpened, but that is something which I am not capable of doing, although I can quickly sharpen the chain on a chain saw.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
Have a couple of Silky's red handled ones. A large kantana one and a small one. Small one is in my wood carving kit. Have a Sven and a Bob Dustrude Saw. Since getting the big Silky's the other two haven't been out much. Had canvas pouches made for the Silky's.
Guess I am the odd one.  I carry a Corona 10" pruning saw - ( Lowes ).  I like that i can go to almost any Lowes or hardware store and find a replacement blade.
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
I carry a Carona 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9ibTP0jlo
Addictive knife buying isn't guided by logic.

Its probably my age that makes people think I am an adult.

Tolerance is within a standard.

"Food is power. We use it to change behavior. Some
may call that bribery. We do not apologize."
 -Catherine Bertini, UN World Food Ex. Director, 1997

Proverbs 27:17