Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
realistic apocalypse planning
Ah but Deerstalker a person can leave this life in mint condition.
If a person falls under a freight train, and was not drunk, he could have been in mint condition!
Now Tin Ridge Rover writes:" ......the truth is, the most fit can be brought down to the disability level in a heartbeat"
Of course, but fit people do not become ill as much as unfit people.
Ranolf Fiennes has lived longer than one wife, and the way he is going could live to be a 100.
Because he is fit.
There are always accidents, and in those cases fitness does not matter, except that recovery might be quicker if the victim of an accident was fit.
Here is an example of unfit person having an accident because of his large belly sticking out in front of him.
He does not see the banana skin, trips and hits his ahead, and it is all over for him - because he was not fit.

Cool
(04-15-2019, 10:57 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: There are always accidents, and in those cases fitness does not matter, except that recovery might be quicker if the victim of an accident was fit.

True Pete, my father fell into that category......... until the net result of the damage he suffered maintaining his fitness caught up with him.

........some mammals just die of burn out Confused

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antechinus

Male Antechinus all die after mating once - high metabolic rates are not normally associated with longevity Rolleyes

"......a male strips its body of vital proteins and also suppresses the immune system so as to free up additional metabolic energy. In this way, an individual male trades away long-term survival in return for short-term breeding success, and following the breeding season, a complete die-off of physiologically exhausted males occurs. Breeding is intensely competitive. Males produce large amounts of testosterone and mate-guarding occurs in the form of protracted copulation (up to twelve hours in some species)."
And as has already been written, fitness does not guarantee long life.
One of my brothers, a big strapping fellow, who hardly smoked and drank, took his family on a day trip.
On the way back he went into a store to buy some snacks for the return trip.
He keeled over and died of a heart attack.
The doctors reckoned he had a heart defect.
He was 43.
Still he had a good life while it lasted.
My other brother still lives and will not stop working even though he is receipt of a pension.
However he is inflicted by a scrooge defect, and is in need of psychiatric help in my opinion.
He wears a cardigan full of holes, but claims nobody can see it because he always had his jacket on.

Tongue
(04-16-2019, 12:26 PM)Limey Pete Wrote: ........... he had a good life while it lasted.

That as much as any of us can ask for IMO  Undecided Wink
(04-15-2019, 11:52 AM)Deerstalker Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 10:57 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: There are always accidents, and in those cases fitness does not matter, except that recovery might be quicker if the victim of an accident was fit.

True Pete, my father fell into that category......... until the net result of the damage he suffered maintaining his fitness caught up with him.

........some mammals just die of burn out Confused

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antechinus

Male Antechinus all die after mating once - high metabolic rates are not normally associated with longevity Rolleyes

"......a male strips its body of vital proteins and also suppresses the immune system so as to free up additional metabolic energy. In this way, an individual male trades away long-term survival in return for short-term breeding success, and following the breeding season, a complete die-off of physiologically exhausted males occurs. Breeding is intensely competitive. Males produce large amounts of testosterone and mate-guarding occurs in the form of protracted copulation (up to twelve hours in some species)."

This is VERY true...my research shows me that moderate exercise helps with age and longevity because it keeps the weight off and circulation going BUT the heart only has so many beats in it---often times extreme athletes--don't live to a ripe old age! moderation is key!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
I fear for many this will be their fate.
Some cruise liners probably have these scenes already.

Attached Files
.jpg   walle-socialnetwork05.jpg (Size: 184.29 KB / Downloads: 8)
(04-17-2019, 10:19 AM)Limey Pete Wrote: I fear for many this will be their fate.

Some cruise liners probably have these scenes already.

WALL-E is a favorite of mine Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WALL-E

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910970/

BURN-E too Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BURN-E

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334585/
Burn E, that looks interesting.
(04-17-2019, 03:42 PM)Limey Pete Wrote: Burn E, that looks interesting.

..........it's very short, but insightful Big Grin
Any car chases, and gunfights?
And feisty women in low cut dresses smart mouthing sexist incompetent men. Deerstalker?

Shy
I rarely ever watch the bonus items, but our copy of WALL-E, also contains BURN-E, so I will be watching it tonight.  I may have to starting looking at the bonus features more closely.
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
BURN-E was very entertaining, enlightening and pretty realistic from the working point of view.  There, there now, it will get better!  Cool

That last 20 seconds said it all!
Jimbo
If everything is a case for gun control, then nothing is. - Charles C. W. Cooke

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
(04-18-2019, 03:08 PM)Limey Pete Wrote: Any car chases, and gunfights?
And feisty women in low cut dresses smart mouthing sexist incompetent men. Deerstalker?

Shy

Tongue Tongue Smile HAAAAAAAAAA!

so predictable...hahaha

as long as there is not fiesty men in low cut dresses smartmouthing incompetent feminists--were doing ok!!

AOC
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."--Thomas Jefferson

"Buy land- they are not making it anymore"- Mark Twain

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile €”hoping it will eat him last." -Winston Churchill

"Wilderness is in our hearts first and always. All of us can't have a cabin in the mountains. It's the wilderness within we must strive for first."- R. Sullivan
(04-20-2019, 05:37 PM)Adapt-Overcome-Conquer Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 03:08 PM)Limey Pete Wrote: Any car chases, and gunfights?

Tongue Tongue Smile HAAAAAAAAAA!

so predictable...hahaha

More about the frustrations encountered on a daily basis by we worker robots - you may not get it Pete? Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osErRS4m4S8