Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Recommend Storing A Stash?
a good barn cat catches and eats mice...

a bad one does not, resents being around you and hoses everything with urine. Nice fragrance.

Like Pix said..HE had a good one, i did not.
After asking this question four years ago, I settled mostly on the Contico brand plastic boxes. I purchased a few different brands of plastic containers and found big differences in their inherit quality, integral strength and durability, so I settled on the Contico brand boxes. The Contico's I purchased are roughly 20 wide x 35 long x 20 deep, and the lid fits over a lip 1 3/4 inch tall, to make it water proof. I thought that inner lip seal would also help make them insect proof as well. I have about 22 of these plastic containers and have thus far not found any rodent evidence in any of them, but sad to say roaches do get in some of the containers. I don't guess there is much which has an opening to it which roaches are not able to enter. Although the roaches can not inflict any real damage to the stored products, they can and do trash the boxes they get into and make a general nuisance of themselves.

Only caned items, in either metal or glass, or those in plastic are stored in the Contico containers.

Are there any natural repellents that are offensive to roaches.
Jimbo
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatrotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
[quote name='Jimbo' timestamp='1475969388' post='611071']

After asking this question four years ago, I settled mostly on the Contico brand plastic boxes. I purchased a few different brands of plastic containers and found big differences in their inherit quality, integral strength and durability, so I settled on the Contico brand boxes. The Contico's I purchased are roughly 20 wide x 35 long x 20 deep, and the lid fits over a lip 1 3/4 inch tall, to make it water proof. I thought that inner lip seal would also help make them insect proof as well. I have about 22 of these plastic containers and have thus far not found any rodent evidence in any of them, but sad to say roaches do get in some of the containers. I don't guess there is much which has an opening to it which roaches are not able to enter. Although the roaches can not inflict any real damage to the stored products, they can and do trash the boxes they get into and make a general nuisance of themselves.

Only caned items, in either metal or glass, or those in plastic are stored in the Contico containers.

Are there any natural repellents that are offensive to roaches.

[/quote]

Many times the roach infestation comes from roach eggs in the corrugations in the cardboard containers.
Dear Friends,

When I was doing small scale farming, we relied on steel trashcans for storing feed grain. Kept out the small rodents, and a rubber bungee across the top kept out bigger pests (for the most part- my partner had an... interesting encounter involving Didelphis virginiana and a Kel-Tec .32)

The downside is the trash cans will rust through in a damp environment- store them inside on a platform for best results. The ubiquitous 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma-seal lid is a great solution for smaller items.

As for roaches, they're tropical. The best natural solution I've found for killing them off is to let your storage site stay below 50F for a few weeks if possible. When I lived in Central America, we had geckos in the house, which naturally kept the roach population down, but may not be practical for your situation.

Just my thoughts,

Don Oso
Don Oso

Now remember, boys and girls, once the pin is out, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend...

"Toast is just the beginning with your new toaster oven..." 6 Finger Jake

"Ninjas are SUPPOSED to be silent... they're like mimes...with throwing stars..." Overheard in the coffee shop

"Soylens Viridis hominenes est"

"She was the kind of girl you could really carry a torch for... along with all the other frightened villagers..."
[quote name='Don Oso' timestamp='1476026981' post='611077']

Dear Friends,

When I was doing small scale farming, we relied on steel trashcans for storing feed grain. Kept out the small rodents, and a rubber bungee across the top kept out bigger pests (for the most part- my partner had an... interesting encounter involving Didelphis virginiana and a Kel-Tec .32)

The downside is the trash cans will rust through in a damp environment- store them inside on a platform for best results. The ubiquitous 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma-seal lid is a great solution for smaller items.

As for roaches, they're tropical. The best natural solution I've found for killing them off is to let your storage site stay below 50F for a few weeks if possible. When I lived in Central America, we had geckos in the house, which naturally kept the roach population down, but may not be practical for your situation.

Just my thoughts,

Don Oso

[/quote]

Care to enlighten us as to what happened with the Opossum?

There is enough moisture & humidity here the steel trash cans will rust when resting on a concrete floor. I do have a few of the tuff stuff heavy duty 37 gallon drums which I store animal feed in and they are excellent for that purpose, only more expensive than the Contico plastic boxes. Being round they waste a lot of floor space, and don't stack either, but I have considered buying a half dozen or so to store some items in. I had deer corn stored in one down in the country and although weevils were already in the bags of corn, or got into my corn, there were no roaches found inside the tuff stuff drum.

I know we have days and nights with less than 50 degree temperatures, but not that many days/nights each year. We have the little Green Anole or "American Chameleon" Lizards and encourage their residence by providing suitable habitat for them. Apparently it is working for I see more it seems each year, and right now I am seeing a large number of little Green Anole lizards. I don't know if they eat roaches or not, but if they do that is an added bonus. Regardless we enjoy having them about the place. Some old farms had a onion/potato/pumpkin cellar, which were a kinda hybrid or modified basement, but few places here have an actual basement, unless special care is taken by locating a basement into the side of a hill with natural runoff or with a "french drain" normally one winds up with an underground swimming pool six months out of each year and a lot of mold to contend with. Then not all properties come close to having a suitable location for a basement. I wish ours certainly did, but unfortunately it doesn't being almost perfectly flat level ground.
Jimbo
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. - Theodore Roosevelt 1907 
Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.  - Theodore Roosevelt 1918
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatrotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction.  The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein

The optomist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true! - James B. Cabell
Thirty gallon steel drums, with lid and locking ring. I find them on Craig's List for twenty dollars or less.

Muleskinner,
He who hesitates is lost.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

You can lead a fool to talk, but you can't make him think.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and sometimes I let her sleep.

There are damm few problems that can't be fixed, with a long handled shovel and a thirty ought six.
Make sure they still have the original contents tags attached. You do not want to be storing food in a container which originally held pesticides.

I have two open top (with a locking ring 55 gal) steel drums and two plastic (55 gal) drums with screw lids, all from a food manufacturing plant. I also have a number of bung head 55 gallon drums which contained food grade acetic acid from a different food manufacturing establishment, but there are just so many uses one can find for the bung head drums. I also have a drum dolly which makes moving a full (or heavy) drum reasonably easy on concrete floors.
Jimbo

(12-06-2012, 04:05 AM)Luvfal Wrote: a good barn cat catches and eats mice...
a bad one does not, resents being around you and hoses everything with urine. Nice fragrance.

Like Pix said..HE had a good one, i did not.

Put him head first in a boot and proud cut him - if that doesn't keep him from spraying, .22 is still relatively cheap (take this step in full view of his replacement)
Steve
  • Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but it can get there real fast.
  • Losing an illusion makes you smarter than finding a truth - Ludwig Borne
  • Always remember the Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules.
  • This is more fun than beating a tree hugger with a dead baby seal.
I personally like the "Good Barn Cat" answer! haha!!

I am building a house right now and we have all sorts of rodent problems. I have to put EVERYTHING in my pantry into a plastic container or a glass one. We still store our grains in the steel drums Ron showed in our Urbanmaster Vol 1 video.

Good question and good answers.

-K
My pantry is a twenty foot one trip shipping container. I framed and insulated the inside and added steel shelves from Sam's Club. No mice or bugs so far. You can set them on two old railroad ties and they will last fifty years.

By the way I have a forty foot goose neck trailer and can deliver anywhere in the lower 48 states.  Big Grin

Muleskinner,
He who hesitates is lost.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

You can lead a fool to talk, but you can't make him think.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and sometimes I let her sleep.

There are damm few problems that can't be fixed, with a long handled shovel and a thirty ought six.
On the subject of a stash and rodents. I have a storage cage here in Pattaya. I left some lentils there when I went to Cambodia.
When I returned the bag of lentils had been chewed into and some lentils eaten.
I threw away the rest of the lentils, and any further food I intended to store, I put into the storage cage in a metal box.
When I returned, the food in the metal box was untouched, but a pair of leather sandals had been chewed and savaged by what? Rats probably.
And so, I am now aware that leather is also at danger of rat attack.
"You can't hit the ball unless you take a swing."

Martin Crane

"As God once said - and I think rightly . . ."

Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery
I had a 50 ft heavy duty electric cord rolled up but laying on the floor in the utility building down home and one or more rats chewed it completely into in two places and chewed into the electric wires in five other places.  I only wish I had left it plugged into an electrical outlet, where it could have been a shocking experience when they sunk their teeth into the electric wires.

Limey, I guess the rodents attitude is:  Nothing to eat & enjoy, I'll be just as destructive as I can!  Gloves, electrical extension cords, whatever we'll destroy it, or do our best to ruin its value.
Jimbo

(11-16-2017, 04:15 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Limey, I guess the rodents attitude is:  Nothing to eat & enjoy, I'll be just as destructive as I can!  Gloves, electrical extension cords, whatever we'll destroy it, or do our best to ruin its value.

I actually had a push mower where something gnawed through the plastic shell and into the gas tank.
"Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot
The neighbor had one of the plastic bench with a storage area under the seat.  It was heavy duty plastic and adults could sit on the bench.  It was on his front patio and his wife kept some cushions stored in the bench to place in their wrought iron patio chairs.  My neighbor like feeding the birds and especially the doves so he kept his bird seed in the end of the bench closest to the front door. 

When leaving for work in the morning he would grab the bag of bird seed and walk out to the South end of his circle driveway and toss out a few handfuls of seed for his feathery friends.  Put his seed up and drive out the North end of his circle driveway heading for work. 

Squirrels chewed roughly a three inch circle through the plastic on the front of his bench, pulled the seeds out and ate and scattered the balance of his bag of seeds all over his patio one day while he was gone to work.  He was mad, when he got home and found the results of their activities left for him. 

He also purchased the dried ears of corn and placed them in the spiral holders so the squirrels also had something to eat as well.  First he quit feeding the squirrels, because of their chewing through his bench, but they had became so accustomed to being treated, they continued to be quite obnoxious, so he went and purchased a quality pellet gun, and thinned the herd out a bit.
Jimbo