Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Currants
Hello Good people

Old buddy calls me yesterday, say he has a bumper crop of currants, come and help myself. So I did, got about 2.5 gallons. Mostly white, but some red ones too. Currants are a new thing for me. So I figgered someone here must have a few suggestions. What do you all like to use currants for? Can someone tell me how to sun dry currants? I was thinking of trying my hand a wine making too, so I am looking over my wine recipe book. This should be fun.

Bill
Just thinking --

Rule of thumb for finding edible wild plants is that most white berries are toxic (e.g. Snow Berries); please make sure that these are really Currants. (Yes - there is an edible white berried currant.)

Maybe 15 years ago, there was a woman near Omak WA that was selling "Currant Jam" but she had misidentified the plant and was selling a poisonous plant's berry (Black Nightshade/Bittersweet). I understand many people became very sick from her jam, some requiring hospitalization.

The Squaw Currants/Golden Currants that I've eaten have been orange/red and contained mostly seeds. I found some of the same kind were sweet from one plant and from another plant were very bland; even though the plants were growing only feet from each other.

Happy eating.

Mike
Hey good people

After 2 days of sitting on the dash of my 96 Ford PU, the white currants have dried up to light brown raisins. The red ones are about half dried. I have been eating both, no ill effects so they must be ok. Sounds like Jeff Foxworthy joke, if your dehydrator is a 96 Ford, you might be a redneck.

I am going to make wine with the rest of them, this will be my first time attempting wine making. I stopped by the home brew supply store on the way home tonight, picked up a wine making from fruit kit. It has a plastic bucket with lid (primary) a glass jug (secondary) some chemicals, yeast, plastic hose, glass racking tube (not sure what that is for), nylon bag for squishing fruit, and a book. I also picked up some corks, a plastic corker (gotta pound em in with a rubber mallet) and some more yeast. I already have a hydrometer. I have a few bottles laying about, so I will scrub them up. The recipe is for 1 gallon per batch. This should be a lot of fun. I think I will try wild plums when they start to ripen in a few weeks too. Good thing me the wife like wine too. Do any of you have information of how wine was made back in the day, without all the chemicals and sterilization stuff?

Thanks all

Bill